Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had the Dunlops SJ5 on my Murano for 2.5 months and they are fine. A good combination of comfort, traction and very stable in snow and slush (melting snow). Of course the current winter is fairly mild and thus not the best situation to test the performance of the tires under the real cold 0 F temperature where they truly should outperform standard 4 season tires. These tires are also more sensitive to road imperfections than the stock Eagle LS. I went to the dealer last week and found that the FX35 has 18 inches tires with same diameter but different configurations. The stock tires are Bridgestones Potenza 265-55-18 and there are also Nokian winter tires of the same size available. These may be interesting alternatives to consider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got them. They seem to work pretty good.. The Murano has fairly strong understeer in slippery conditions. The stock Goodyear's are terrible in the snow ! In the Toronto area you can get them at Wheel and Tire Zone (905) 624-1577. Tell 'em Jerry sent you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

I've had them for only a week, so I haven't had a chance to try them in any kind of appreciable snow conditions. In my opinion, they don't seem to be any noisier than the Eagles on paved roads. The street in our subdivision is hard snow-packed, I ran it up to 40 klms and hit the brakes hard, expecting the anti-lock to engage... much to my surprise, it didn't engage at all, very good feel as the Murano stopped very well.

The cost for the GrandTreks was reasonable ($150 / each through Coast Tire), considering the rarity of that size tire.

PS: The Murano is now fully winterized for our Maritime climate... real winter tires, 24 inch teflon blade for the driver, 19 inch winter blade for the passenger, cargo liner and floor mats from Weathertech. The only thing I would have liked to obtain is plain black wheels so I could change the tire/wheel package over before each season.

One drawback I think you'll notice with the stock spoke rims is that if snow gets built up in the Offset area behind the rims, this will throw off your wheel-balance something serious.... will cause your steering wheel to vibrate until you get that snow / ice out of there.

That's it for now.

Have fun in the snow.... I know I will.

·
Registered
180 Posts
muraniac said:
The stock tires are Bridgestones Potenza 265-55-18 and there are also Nokian winter tires of the same size available. These may be interesting alternatives to consider.
muraniac

Can you confirm this? I've checked the Nokian site and can't find anything in this size. The Hakka SUV tire is there @ 235/65R18, which as we all know is ever-so-slightly smaller than our stock tire. If nothing else surfaces between now and next winter, I'm gonna go with these and live with the miniscule difference on the odom/speedo. I've had two sets of Dunlops on previous vehicles and will never buy them again. I sincerely hope you and the others with the SJ5 tires have better luck/performance than I did with my old Dunlops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts