Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of a minor point, but is sticking in my head :). I am buying new tires next week, and two of the current ones have maybe around 10,000 miles of tread life on them. Does it make sense to keep them as spares in case one of the new tires gets damaged in some way?
Thx,
J

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think you "could" get away with it in most cases, but its usually not recommended for a few reasons.

If you have an all wheel drive, the slightly different size in diameter and tread drag can possibly cause a bit of strain on the system.

As from a safety point of view, having a tire that has less tread, different tread pattern, and different handling/driving characteristics could potentially lead to steering, braking and handling issues.

Im sure allot of people have done it without an issue, but I dont think you'll find anyone recommending it....

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
Two issues:

1) The current wisdom is that to prevent AWD damage, all tires should be as close as possible to the same amount of wear. A tire that's 50% or more worn is a slightly different diameter than a new tire, and therefore mounting it with new tires results in the AWD working all the time since the tires will rotate at different speeds. On most AWD vehicles this is considered to be an invitation to causing driveline damage.

2) Older tires (8 or 10+ years old) get hard and their traction is reduced; there is also potential for sun damage and weather-checking. Once tires get to that age, manufacturers advise that they should not be used.

As with many things, judgment is required. How worn is "worn?" How old is "old?"

My thought is that the tires you have are worn down enough that I would not use them as a spare to run with new tires on an AWD vehicle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with the others here. Im sure yiu most likely have a donut in the trunk that I would keep air in. Unless you have a spare rim for the tire to use it as a limp home tire there really isn't too much point in keeping it imo. I believe the tire shop would have the best recommendations on this matter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts