Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that can be applied to the body of the Mo to protect the paint? I keep hearing over and over how easily it scratches and chips. Just wondering if there are any preventative measures I can take before this happens to mine!

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can get the clear paint protection film for the bumper, hood, mirror backs and fenders. My dealer offered it at time of purchase but it is available at vehicle detailing shops cheaper. (Ziebart, etc.)

For the rest of the vehicle use a good quality wax ...zaino,meguiars
etc.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I'm having Stone Guard (http://www.stongard.com) installed on Monday. Full kit plus headlamp protection. It's expensive, but this seems to be the best quality for this type of protection. It also includes pieces to protect the "door cups" where the paint can get nicked from your keys/rings/watches/bracelets/etc when you open the doors.

Tuesday I should have a report on how it looks (or rather how it DOESN'T look, since it should be practically invisible) including pictures. Looking at my car (130k miles) and my wife's car (90k miles) that both have a LOT of little nicks, I'm hoping this will keep my car looking great for a long time.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Quick update on the StoneGuard (or StonGard, depending on what site you go to, they're the same). Installed on Monday, as promised.

It IS practically invisible, with the exception of a few bubbles in it right now (they say that it can take up to 4 weeks for the bubbles to go away, but they WILL go away). Very nice job. The piece that goes over the headlights is VERY thick. Maybe 5 times as thick as the pieces that go over the paint.

I'm pretty impressed so far. You can't even see that anything is there unless you get really close or feel it with your hands. The door cups fit perfectly, and at first I even thought that they forgot to install them. I had to feel around and find the edges of the plastic just to make sure.

So I now have the entire bumper protected, as well as the front part of the hood, both headlights, both foglights, the front (painted) part of the side mirrors, the door cups, and the edges of the doors (so now I can open my doors fast and hard in the parking lots and cause door dings on OTHER cars without chipping MY paint! ;) ).

A little bit over $800 including everything (parts, installation, taxes). That's a significant amount of money, but if it holds up like they claim it will definitely be worth it.

Haven't had the chance to take pictures yet (it's been raining a lot here in Seattle, imagine that) but I'll get around to it soon.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Here are some pictures as to how the StonGard looks. There are still a few bubbles, but they said that it could take up to 4 weeks for those bubbles to go away. This angle seems to show it the most, and the lighting was just perfect to make the line quite noticable. Under normal conditions (and probably more-so when the car is clean) you can't even see it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
And a close-up, notice the thickness of the headlight protection as compared to the paint protection.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
And a final picture to show the worst bubbles, which HAVE gotten better in the last 3 days, but they had BETTER go away. This is my left headlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks great! I wonder if it's avalable in Canada.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
TheGymKid said:
Corin... How did that stonguard hold up? Did the bubbles all go away? Any stone chips? worth the 800$$$$$ ?

Thanks
Well, it's only been a week... But the bubbles are almost all gone. Drove in heavy rain across the state, and a LITTLE bit of gravel on the road. Seems to be fine so far. The platic isn't pealing at all, and no chips (although I haven't washed the car yet, so it's pretty dirty) and no tears in the plastic.

I'm going to have to give it more time, though, before I have a full opinion on it. But looking at my co-worker's red M3 that has had stongard for years, I think it will be worth the money in the long run.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks Corin !! Keep me (all of us) updated please. Where did you purchase it from... A dealer?

How are you liking the bugshield on the front? I see a lot of folks here hate it and remove it after having it on after even. I don't think it looks so bad.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
TheGymKid said:
Thanks Corin !! Keep me (all of us) updated please. Where did you purchase it from... A dealer?

How are you liking the bugshield on the front? I see a lot of folks here hate it and remove it after having it on after even. I don't think it looks so bad.
StonGard is actually here in Seattle (well, Bellevue) so I went straight to them.

See my other thread on the bug deflector:
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4182

·
Registered
168 Posts
Clear Bra Group Buy?

GUYZ & GALZ,

I know a dealer/installer that carries both 3M & VentureTape and we can do a Group Buy if you are interested. I went w/ the VentureTape because it had a longer warranty and in a head to head test outlasted the ...."other company's." A friend and I put it on and it wasn't that difficult. I just couldn't see paying 1/2 Grand for someone to apply it. It pretty much goes on like window film.

http://www.venturetape.com/final/index.htm

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/_l/en_US/_s.155/116943/_s.155/86661

http://www.clearmask.com/vehicle_page.php

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can use StonGard paint protection. This is a film that keeps rock chips and nicks from damaging your frontal exposed areas.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Wanted to post an update on StonGard:

After about 6 weeks, ALMOST all of the bubbles had gone away. The only remaining ones were on my headlight covers. Not bad, but noticable. Especially since I knew they were there. Always seemed to catch my eye.

I also noticed that the right front corner of the hood piece was peeling up a little bit as well. The piece curls under the hood, and it was underneath where it was coming up.

So I gave a call to the shop that installed it and asked if they could fix both problems. No problem, made an appointment for 2 days later. They fixed those problems, plus called me in the middle of the day to inform me that they felt that the left mirror piece should also be re-done if that was OK with me (sure, it's free, right?) :)

Now I have to wait a few more days before I can wash my MO (it's getting really dirty, and I haven't even had the chance to wax it since I took delivery <sigh>) but I'm really pleased with their service.

And as for the protection, I've had 2 times to test it. Once on the freeway when a small plastic pot fell out of the pickup in front of me and ended up smacking the front left part of my bumper, and once on a residential street where a rock flew up and smacked the headlight! :eek: I can't find any evidence that either of these accounts happened, so to me that means that it's doing it's job.

So I say it's a good product and does what it says. Worth over $800? Well, I guess that's a judgement call. You CAN notice the edges of the plastic if you look, but it takes care of the rock chip problem. I'm pleased I did it on this car. Will I do it on my next car? Well, we'll see when the time comes. If my wife replaced her car right now with a new one, I'd probably get it done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks Corin for giving the update and I will share it with the staff here at AutoGard/StonGard. I remember seeing the mirror and asking the tech to replace it but had no idea it was your rig. Let us know if you need any quirks worked out.

Jeremy
Auto Gard USA
StonGard, Inc.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Yet another update on Stongard:

I'm getting a little frustrated. As I mentioned before, they re-did my light covers a couple weeks ago, but they don't seem to be sticking properly. A couple of the corners are peeling up on both of them. I'm going to have to call them up again and have them re-done. Unfortunately it looks like some dirt has gotten up underneath, so they'll probably have to replace these pieces rather than just glue them back down.

<sigh> I still say that they're good protection, but now I'm starting to question how long they will last. Perhaps a few years down the road they'll start peeling off and not look very good?

Anyway, I'll give them another shot and see what happens. Third time's a charm, right?

Edit: Quick clarification to state that it's ONLY the light covers that are having a problem. All other pieces seem fine. Perhaps it has something to do with the shape of our headlights, especially at the bottom, where the thick rubber has to curve around the corner?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Corin-

Yikes...You are right it is the odd shape of the lights and how much of the material is stretched. We are ordering a new batch to be cut from our proprietary material and will definitely give you a pair of the newer ones. Thanks for you kind words and patience.

Jeremy
StonGard, Inc.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Protector said:
Corin-

Yikes...You are right it is the odd shape of the lights and how much of the material is stretched. We are ordering a new batch to be cut from our proprietary material and will definitely give you a pair of the newer ones. Thanks for you kind words and patience.

Jeremy
StonGard, Inc.
See, now THIS is what I call customer service! :) Very nice to see you guys are so on the ball with this kind of thing. I'll be calling in the next couple of days to set up an appointment.

Man, if only Nissan could be this helpful with issues that come up with their products... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If you are primarily interested in protecting the front end, a bra would be another solution. I have the Colgan nose mask and it fits perfectly (and saved me from many many rock chips).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts