Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still trying to decide. I've test driven a zillion cars in my quest for a new vehicle:

Acura TL
Acura TSX
Acura MDX
Ford Escape
Mercury Mariner
Subaru Legacy GT ltd
Infiniti FX35
Infiniti G35x
Nissan Murano
Volvo S60 AWD
Volvo S40 AWD

and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting!

The three I keep coming back to are the Murano, Legacy GT ltd, and G35x. Basically I want something with performance and AWD. At various times, I lean toward getting the Legacy GT because it's less money (about 27k fully loaded). The G35x is more luxurious, and I prefer naturally aspirated engines.

But the Murano has a certain "fun" factor the others lack, and now I find myself leaning in this direction. Any reasons I shouldn't consider it?

·
Registered
631 Posts
The paint is really thin and scratches INCREDIBLY easily. :(

I have less than 3000 miles on my MO and already have scratches all over it... and I'm careful.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Honestly, the biggest problem I have with it is its FWD. Even the AWDs are really FWD.

And FWD isnt really that bad, but I just dont dig torque steer and prefer the handling of RWD, other than that... sunglass holders would be nice I guess..

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Don't get it if you don't want your face to hurt from smiling.

In all seriousness, I think that the Murano is a great choice. It's the only vehicle out of the 3 that you mentioned that I could see myself looking back at when it is parked. It has a very unique style, different from anything else you'll see on the road. The other two are very conservative in looks.

I considered the Subaru when I was looking for a Murano replacement, but I just couldn't do it. It seemed too bland.

The G35x is a sweet looking car, but it isn't going to turn any heads either.

The Murano has a certain "look at me" appeal thats undeniable. It's also nice to sit up higher with the rest of the soccer moms.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
The biggest problem I have with my Mo is its iterior noise. It just does not feel like a new car when I hit a bump or something. But if that does not bother you, or you are willing to mask it with music (like I do) then the MO is really a nice all around car. Good looks, roomy interior, good gas mileage, powerful engine, perfect tranny, many toys and lots of room to add your own. True, paint is thin and interior will scratch easily. I guess I cannot think of anything else bad to say about it.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
That is quite a range of vehicle types you're listing.

Obviously you're going to get better handling in the G35 (or most cars for that matter). I mean, purely off of your "handling and AWD" criteria, why not go for something like a Mitsubishi Evo or WRX/STI?

Obviously you must be wanting something more or the MO would be off the list. Looking for comfort? Smooth ride? Towing capacity, ride height, interior room/cargo, looks....

What turns you on? What is it about each of the vehicles that you've tried (even the ones you crossed off) that you liked or disliked?

If you give us that info, then I'm sure we can convince you that the MO is the best choice! ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I keep coming back to the Murano. I love the styling/looks, which is purely subjective I know. I think the ride was smooth and the acceleration was good. Obviously the enthusiast driver in me likes the G35 and Legacy GT.

But I have a kid (and hopefully more to come), a dog, and a lot of stuff, so the added space/cargo room is nice to have.

·
Registered
61 Posts
special-k said:
The paint is really thin and scratches INCREDIBLY easily. :(

I have less than 3000 miles on my MO and already have scratches all over it... and I'm careful.
I agree, the paint scratches way to easy!

·
Registered
719 Posts
How big a dog do you have?

Anything of any size and your going to be very uncomfortable with a wife, one child and a dog in a Subie or a G35.

I got the Murano because my dog is about 90 lbs and I have two boys still at home (and a wife).

We're able to travel just about anywhere in a great amount (IMO) of comfort in the Murano and have plenty of room. (Well maybe the dog would like more space:2: )

If you do any road trips at all (with your growing family), I think you'd appreciate the Muranos interior space.

Good luck with whatever you choose, they're all good choices but quite different from each other.

One other thing I forgot about the Subie, the AWD systems require 15k services at a pretty high chunk of change if I recall correctly. For me, that was a deal breaker as I always have my vehicles dealer serviced and the cost per mile on the Subie was way up there and the interior space was significantly lower (IMO).

·
Registered
777 Posts
One thing Nissan could have done to make the dogs more comfortable is to make the rear triangle windows ventable.

·
4,664 Posts
I'd get the G35x over the Murano, if it suited my daily needs. But I need to carry large boxes on occasion, so the Murano wins with me.

Depends what you need....

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
***WARNING ***

DO NOT GET THIS VEHICLE UNLESS YOU ENJOY DRIVING WITH A SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND WISHING FOR A LONGER COMUTE!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am a complete MO'ron. I love this car and the way it handles.

Postives are the styling, VQ engine for power and quietness, pretty good radio, storage compartments, and the CVT, which I like.

Negatives: paint seems to chip easily, front wipers can't be folded up for clearing of ice and snow, my leadfoot driving.

I think it's the best car that I've owned. Didn't want to test drive anything else. Now have over 15,000 miles and still love it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Cryogenix said:
Don't get FWD, get AWD. It just handles better and the steering wheel doesn't feel heavy or fight you over bumps or extreme stop-to-go acceleration, especially doing so around sharps corners.
How can you tell the difference given its in FWD by default? Do you mean due to the extra weight of the AWD the distribution is better than a FWD drive MO?

IMHO, I would not get AWD again but would get FWD if I were to purchase another MO. At least here in the NE... it is just not needed. The roads are treated well and FWD works very well. Also given the design of the MO's AWD system knowing that you can get stuck if only two wheels don't have traction is kind of scary to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had her for a week now.

Things I like: Styling, handling, acceleration, interior room, fun to drive.

Things I'm not too crazy about: Homelink buttons on mirror do not illuminate at nite, headlight, fog light as well as wiper controls are also not illuminated at nite, radio and cruise control switches on steering wheel are also not illuminated.

That may seem like nit picking to some but a vehicle priced over $36K oughta have better vision at nite in the interior. I consider these to be safety issues. It seems like the only way around it is to commit these component operating switches to braile memory. That sucks!:soapbox:

Would I buy her again. Yup!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts