Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha Forum:

Let me preface by saying that I read every post on this subject. But I still find myself on the fence about body side moldings.

I've been doing an informal poll with my friends (non of them have a mo-but they are car guys) on whether to install body side moldings on my glacier mo. I'm right at 50/50 right now, so I thought I'd ask you guys if anyone has any regrets about this install or see it as one of the best investments they made.

Opinions I have in favor pretty much lean heavily on the ding and dent arguement. Opinions against lean on not ruining the clean lines and simplicity of the design (there must be a reason why they aren't there in the first place)

I know it basically comes down to a personal preference. I'm just curious about the reasons you have or have not put them on.

PS. The decision would have been easier if I had a darker color-they look great and do not stand out as much on those, but I have a glacier.

thanks in advance. MO_808

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
I'm happy with mine on my gold Mo.

As for your statement that there must be a reason there aren't any mouldings on the Mo... well, that would be MONEY.

I had an Xterra. Some models came with the side mouldings, others didn't. It wasn't a design thing at all.

I don't think they are at all obvious or that the ruin the look of the Mo, but that's just my opinion. I know they won't protect against all dents and dings, but they should prevent some. I was willing to trade a slightly less clean look for some dent protection.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have the moldings and I think they look great.

I am a bit of a fanatic about trying to protect my car, so I have the moldings as well as the Colgan Bra installed. I had a body shop do the moldings for about $44.00, since I wanted them done right.

They are color matched and don't detract from the appearance as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
79 Posts
About a week after I picked up my MO in Jan 2004, I got a major door dent in a mall parking lot. I was about the size of a quarter, and cost me about $450 to fix. I ordered the body-colored moulding from Grubbs, and had the body shop put it on right after the repair. Since then, I have noticed at least five rub marks against the moulding. As far as I'm concerned, those marks on the rubber would have been additional dents/scrapes against the vehicle. Because I put the mouldings on, they are merely rubbed out.

I know there has been debate on this forum about the best price and where to get them, and I probably paid near the upper end of those prices. I don't really care, as I feel they have paid for themselves several times over.

I understand your concern about ruining the clean lines fo the car, but I think they blend in very well with the paint, and I don't even notice them anymore unless I'm looking at them directly. I think they are less obtrusive than the chrome rub strips some folks put on their door edges. Just MHO, or course.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I put the mouldings on my Midnight Blue Murano, and I think they're great! There's no 100% protection from dings, but I think they do help. Are they the greatest investment I've made? I wouldn't go that far, but I don't regret for a minute buying them or installing them. I don't think they detract from the looks of the vehicle at all.

Jeff

·
Registered
564 Posts
The other side . . .

I was planning on putting the moldings on when I ordered my Murano. After the car arrived, however, I couldn't bring myself to do it. The sides look so clean and sleek that I didn't want to interrupt the smooth lines. Of course, I am also worried about dings and dents. So in order to have the best of both worlds, I have had to take some measures that would not normally be needed if I had the moldings.

For example, when I park my Murano at work in the parking garage, I always look for a spot that's either along the wall in parallel parking fashion or between pillars (there's several of those). At a minimum, I park with one side near a pillar and have the other side on the passenger side of the next car (nobody car pools in my office).

When I am in a public parking lot, I try to park in the more empty parts of the lot - barring that, I park next to the curbs or other points where only one side is exposed to potential door whacks. Next to handicap spots work well too as there are rarely handicap stickered cars that park there.

Worse comes to worst, and the family is heading out to a place where protected parkin is not possible, we'll take the minivan with lots of side moldings!

So far this method has worked (knock wood). Its been well over a month with the new Mo and no dings/dents yet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I may be jinxing myself for saying this, but I do the same as the post above, and so far 9 months and no dings...I wish I could say the same for my girlfriends Benz...she has it less than two weeks and she had 2 small dings on the passenger side...total bummer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yikes!

Hey copperkat, one good thing about that... "0 bids"... so far.

That was almost too much for me to stomach (hope I didn't offend anyone in the forum with that comment) it's just not something I would do either.

In fact the same sick feeling I got in the pit of my stomach when I saw those chrome moldings is the very same feeling I'm trying to avoid—
again, just trying to make a decision I won't regret, no right or wrong answers.

Thanks to all who have replied so far. Anyone out there put moldings on a glacier? There was one in a previous thread - please post more pics if possible.
I'm curious about the pearl matching.

Mahalo > MO_808

·
Registered
170 Posts
I received my sheer silver mouldings a week ago, but haven't gotten around to installing them.

I will definitely put them on, but I do enjoy looking at the clean lines of the MO sans mouldings!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Chrome Moldings

The chrome colored moldings for sale on E-Bay are more than ugly theyr'e fugly!! Mo_808 I'm with you, I hope I don't offend anyone by that comment but the bodyside moldings for sale on Sportwing and Grubbs are soooo much better looking than those chrome ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Side moldings

I just installed the side moldings from Dawn Ent. on my 04 glaicer white Murano. I purchased them from my local Nissan Dealer and had them do the install. They charged me 1 hr labor but I figured it was worth it. This way the have to warntee them and the installation.I have to say along with the 3m body armor I had installed it gives me a much better sence of security against minor dings. :1:

·
Registered
104 Posts
put on my side moldings about a month ago, but it wasn't until this morning that i really appreciated them. i walked out to the MO and noticed a white scuff mark right on the side molding. no doubt that if it weren't for the moldings, i would've gotten a ding instead of a white scuff mark. so not only do they look good, but they're good too.:4:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks again for the replies. Paranoia and peace of mind maybe taking over.

estoyer, how do the moldings from Dawn match the glacier pearl? Would you mind me asking how much you ended up paying for them. AND if it's not too much trouble, please post some pics. thanks - MO_808

·
Registered
11 Posts
The glaicer white matches perfect and the entire cost installed was about $150.00..I will post pics when it stops raining.

·
4,664 Posts
Finally I have some scratches on my drivers door from some ijiot banging their door into mine. Never mind back up cameras, give me a camera so I can identify these people and have my lawyer send them the bill for repairs.

So, it took 17 months for it to happen, but it finally did. But I'm not putting molding on those doors... I love them too much without it.

Besides, It's Nissan Finance's car...

Next one, I might buy. In which case, I'll think about it!

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
ebay chrome molding.

The chrome colored moldings for sale on E-Bay are more than ugly theyr'e fugly!!
I dont know, i kindda like it :D
Reminded me with the lower chrome trim of a porsche cayenne
I did a bit of photoshop, aside from the wheel well chrome, i think it looks ok on my black mo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aloha max_floyd:

Sorry to see that dent. I know that pic affected everyone in the forum. I was wondering about the location of the dent on the door.
Judging from all the pics of Mo's in the forum gallery with moldings...would the manufacturers recommended installation location have helped prevent the dent?

I know I wrote the "d" word four times...sorry. MO_808

1 - 20 of 24 Posts