Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer is telling me that I need to have my rear break pads replaced soon.. (surprised me, as I figured the front would be first to go, but they said the rear pads are "undersized".)
I have 44K on the MO right now..

has anyone else out there had to replace thier pads?? did you do the front or rear first

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
It is extremely unusual for the rear brakes to wear before the front. Its almost as if your parking brake is not releasing all the way and you dragged the pad along. Else I would suspect a bad brake proportioning valve.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this was my impression as well, (if I remember correctly) it should be about a 60/40 split on break pressure/wear so that the fronts lock up/wear out first (more control)

as I never use the parking brake, I know it's not that..

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hmm...I wonder if it does have a greater rear bias considering how flat it brakes.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I have driven sportier cars with less brake dive and the usual front brake bias, so I doubt the Murano is proportioned significantly different than a normal vehicle.

I still suspect a bad proportioning valve if your rear brakes are wearing prematurely.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Do you think that this could have anything to do with premature wear in the rear?
Braking
------
I'm just guessing...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Wow - that's a neat little animation. The salesguy told us about that when we purchased it - I had just never seen an actual diagram of it.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the idea.. but then why did they make the rear brakes smaller??? if they have this brake-force distribution system, then it should inherantly fix the "rear brakes last longer" problem..

when you add both together, then they actually cause a new problem (more wear on the back pads)

BTW: midas (Canada) is quoting 162+tax to do the rear pads (only)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
darrylburke said:
I like the idea.. but then why did they make the rear brakes smaller??? if they have this brake-force distribution system, then it should inherantly fix the "rear brakes last longer" problem..

when you add both together, then they actually cause a new problem (more wear on the back pads)

BTW: midas (Canada) is quoting 162+tax to do the rear pads (only)
Changing disc brake pads is very very easy. All you need is a socket set, a disc brake kit (which you can rent from any car parts store), and some caliper lube. If you do it yourself, you will pay less than $100 (using the stock nissan pads) and end up with a nice set of tools to boot.

That said $150 is reasonable for a rear brake job if they also turn the rotors.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I probably could do it.. but knowing me.. it would take me 5 mins to take it apart.. 20 mins to try it the first time.. 2 hours to do it properly the second time.. 2 more hours to figure out where the damn extra bolt is supposed to go, and lots of cursing and screaming.....

I figure it would cost me less in time, to take it to shop which knows what they are doing (plus i get the brake pad warranty as well..)

·
Registered
719 Posts
darrylburke said:
I probably could do it.. but knowing me.. it would take me 5 mins to take it apart.. 20 mins to try it the first time.. 2 hours to do it properly the second time.. 2 more hours to figure out where the damn extra bolt is supposed to go, and lots of cursing and screaming.....

I figure it would cost me less in time, to take it to shop which knows what they are doing..
That's almost my exact excuse for virtually all "around the house" projects or repairs!:2:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Am I being naive in assumming Nissan design engineers would take all the braking dynamic factors into consideration when designing the brake system so it would wear relatively evenly??....keep in mind in Darrylburke's case the "undersized pad " comment came from a dealer technician....we all know the degree of competence these fellows exhibit....perhaps this is just a "one off" situation caused by a faulty pad/roter on the rear resulting in premeture wear.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try and get a dealer to thinks thateven possible and actually check it out ...

I think i'd have a better chance of convincing my 12 year old that Santa Clause still exists..

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I was 18, in a dorm at school and knew nothing about brakes when I had to change my front pads in a 68 galaxie 500. I had a tire iron, vise grips, and a screw driver for tools. Believe it or not, I did it, and they worked.

I used to help my buddy change his brakes on his maxima. He would just go buy new rotors and we would compress the pistons as usual with a C clamp. Took like 1 hour to do both sides.
The last time I did my front brakes, without changing the rotors, on a chev venture, I timed it, 18 minutes--36 bucks for the best pads available.
Sure made me grin.
But I have a gold warranty on da Mo for the life of my lease so I do nothing, ever, cept put gas innit. That makes me grin more.
:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Changing the brakes in the Murano is very easy. I took the pads out when I painted the calipers, it literally takes about 10 mins per wheel. I also have been looking around for high performance pads, if anyone knows where to get them please let me know...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts