Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an unofficial poll, been thinking about it since the Murano is nice but I am really a car guy..
They seems expensive but watched a video a guy did on his Tesla and he said " all you do it add windshield cleaner" Said you rarely use the brakes since the motor slows the car down so tires and brakes last a while.
I can charge it at work for free and never having to buy gas or do oil changes again does sound nice :) My main concern is we travel to the beach a lot more and its 310 miles door to door and most of them advertise 300 mile range.
Of coarse I don't want a normal one, Tesla roadster would be nice :) I could enjoy a car that runs 8.9 in quarter mile

·
Super Moderator
8,753 Posts
If I were buying today, I would not buy any vehicle that is a plug-in. I would do like my daughter, who recently bought a Rav4 Hybrid that charges from the gas motor. Unlimited range with 40+ MPG, and with the electric motors running the rear wheels, it's faster 0-60 than the gas only model.

My opinion, YMMV.

And remember one of my favorite quotes: "I refuse to join any club that would have me for a member." (Groucho)

Reactions: markayash

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I told my son who is 19 he will look back and tell his kids " we use to have to drive to gas stations and fill up every few days..Plus had to change the oil every 7000"

·
Super Moderator
8,753 Posts
I've been through that with video editing. Today's digital editors can't believe that we used to watch through videotape, sync it up, rehearse the edit, do the edit, then hunt for the next edit spot. It took an average of at least one hour of editing time for every 60 seconds of finished video program.

I recall clearly that my 1970 240Z would run great on NGK plug - for 10,000 miles. By 11,000 miles one of the plugs would be missing. It was part of expected maintenance to change the spark plugs every 10K miles. Of course, that took all of 10-15 minutes....

·
Registered
801 Posts
I would definitely get a hybrid and ideally a PHEV. Toyota Rav prime looks dont do it for me. Closest thing might be new Kia Sorrento or Hyundai Santa fe... we will see how they fair in terms of reliability.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been through that with video editing. Today's digital editors can't believe that we used to watch through videotape, sync it up, rehearse the edit, do the edit, then hunt for the next edit spot. It took an average of at least one hour of editing time for every 60 seconds of finished video program.

I recall clearly that my 1970 240Z would run great on NGK plug - for 10,000 miles. By 11,000 miles one of the plugs would be missing. It was part of expected maintenance to change the spark plugs every 10K miles. Of course, that took all of 10-15 minutes....
My dad, who is 90 now, use to talk about how they got flat tires all the time. Then I am old enough to remember the 1st radial tires, I had Bias plays on my 69 Mustang

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am giving it a lot of thought. My 2018 Murano is leased and currently had 9500 miles on it. The lease is up in December and I am starting to look at a possible replacement for it. Obviously I stay close to home with the occasional trip of 125 miles one way. I understand that I would probably need to top off the batteries for a secure ride home and am willing to either find a charging station near my destination or spend 20 minutes on the way home to top off the tank. The interstate has a good network of charging stations wherever you go, and I can only see that more will be installed in the next few years.

The thing that has me on the fence about electric cars at the moment is not the range, but is that 2021/22 is the first year that every manufacturer seems to be coming out with a version of the crossover e-car. I was always told that if you buy a first model year of any car, you are nothing but an unpaid beta tester.

·
Super Moderator
8,753 Posts
If your Murano starts, you don't need to "top off" the battery (singular, you only have one). It will charge while driving.

If first year is your concern, there are hybrids and electrics which have been on the market for a few years. If you need an SUV-size vehicle, your options are fewer.

That's also not very many miles driven - are you sure you want to lease?? You might just rent when needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I had a 260Z. Tons of room in that Z's engine compartment. I can't even imagine changing the plugs on my Murano in less than an hour.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your Murano starts, you don't need to "top off" the battery (singular, you only have one). It will charge while driving.

If first year is your concern, there are hybrids and electrics which have been on the market for a few years. If you need an SUV-size vehicle, your options are fewer.

That's also not very many miles driven - are you sure you want to lease?? You might just rent when needed.
My problem is I want a fast car like a Tesla or an emustang but they get expensive. At least to me :) I am the cheap guy

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remember back 10 years ago where smart phones battery lasted 4 hours on good days? Now 24 to 48 hours isn’t uncommon.
Hoping car batteries do the same and evolve.
In commerce Ga a Korean company is investing 2.7 billion dollars in a plant for car batteries.. Heard for VW
I have seen it, longest building I have ever seen in my life!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Murano and just leased a Bolt about a month ago. My job shifted to 100% work from home for the pandemic and they just made that change permanent. My wife takes the Bolt to work most days now, but we just took the Murano on a long road trip for spring break. This weekend I'm planning to visit my parents about 100 miles away and I'm planning to take the Bolt. I think for a 2 car family having one EV is definitely doable, especially if you only have 1-2 kids.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I worked with a girl who had the leaf and drove 45 a day 5 days a a week. I asked her how much her power bill went up and she said $25 a month. That was back around 2015 when gas wasn’t as cheap and Georgia was giving her enough rebate to pay for the 2 year lease. She also had a normal suv.
I am thinking my next car will be a all electric or hybrid. Just concerned buying used electric cars

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm more interested in fuel cell technology and keeping an eye on that to see where it ends up going. I personally am not interested in the idea of wasting half an hour to an hour charging a vehicle. I understand that I could charge at home but the whole idea of an electric car seems dead at that point. Where I live, the power plants run on burnt coal and isn't very great for the environment. Not to mention, electricity costs are expensive here as well. Wouldnt really be saving much if any money. Then the whole political aspect of the idea really makes me un-interested for now. For me, its just not there yet. Good luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is my question, if is working remote has saved gas and emissions why doesn’t the same folks wanting all electric go to these companies and say “ hey if you keep 75% of your folks remote you get a big tax break” people a lot smarter then me can find a way to make that attractive for them.
But my wife drives her car maybe once every 2 weeks to meet a friend for lunch vs 5 days a week 30 miles a day. And millions or others are doing the same.

·
Super Moderator
8,753 Posts
I think you're mixing a lot of economic issues together.

Over time, I expect they will get sorted out.

Reactions: markayash

·
Registered
81 Posts
Back in 2018 I was going to do overseas delivery option on a Volvo XC40 and sell the Murano but I missed the overseas allocation for 2018, my son had just gotten a license so the Murano became my son's car and an opportunity came up to get a Tesla Model 3 long range RWD before the full tax rebate went away so I took it. I had been on the Tesla waiting list since that summer but I was not really serious about using it until the circumstances came up.

For the past 2 years we've put 18,500 miles on the Tesla and it has been pretty much just add windshield washer fluid, wash car and swap wheels/tires (bought a second set of wheels w/summer tires which I swap myself every winter/spring). Have yet to use up either set of tires though I've heard that owners go through them pretty quickly (the 18" wheels will save you on $ tires and pot holes).

What the manufacturers don't really point out is that they do not recommend fully charging the battery to maximize the life of the battery. This might sound like a big deal but in actuality the only time I've fully charged the car is before a long trip and on a regular basis plug it into a regular 120v outlet while it's parked in the garage which easily adds about 50 miles overnight and have the charging setup to only go to about 277 out of 329. I thought I would need to add a 240v outlet but so far I haven't had to and I've used superchargers less than 10 times total since I bought the car which I think easily makes up for the extra time needed when using them.

I'd say if you have easy access to charging at home or work then the only problem comes up on long trips. About 15-20 minutes at a supercharger will get you up to 90% charge with the last 10% taking longer so that last 10% is usually not worth it unless you're already doing something else, better to just re-charge again when it's needed. Last year I drove from NJ to AL in the Murano only stopping once for food and gas which took about 16 hours (actually on the way back it was 16, on the way there it was closer to 19 since the alternator died about 30 min from destination). If I took the Tesla it probably would have been closer to 18 hours with 3 stops.

Things are changing quickly over the next couple years. If I were to look at a direct Murano replacement now I'd also take a look at the RAV4 Prime, while it's not fully electric it has some of the benefits. The Mustang Mach E looks nice and there's the Tesla Model Y but I don't think it looks as nice as the Model 3. They really should have made the Model 3 with a hatch instead of a trunk but I can see where it would cut into Model Y sales. Also we should see the Hyundai Ioniq5 and Kia EV6 before the end of the year.

·
Registered
870 Posts
310 miles? I’d drive 3 hours. Have lunch while the car charges. Even if you only eat for 30 minutes you’ll easily have enough juice.

People make excuses to not have one. If you do the math, you can drive all day.

Check the charging rate for the cars. Charging from 40% to 80% seems to be the area of concern for people after they’ve done the research.

If the roads weren’t pathetic dog crap piles where I live I’d trade the wife’s Murano in for a Tesla. Cars just don’t work well here. Even a Murano on a Maxima chassis is pushing it here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts