Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealership sells a kit that is different from the Grubbs one and is made specifically for the 2004 Murano. Includes the antenna and receiver and some other items. List is $346. Has anyone installed the official Nissan kit for the 2004 Murano? If so, does it have the text limitations that the first receivers that people started using had?

Here is a link to the installation instructions http://www.leeauto.com/parts/muranosatellite.pdf

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had XM dealer installed

in my '04 Murano (delivered in March '04), so I'm assuming I had the nissan Murano kit. My text is also disappointingly limited (much more so than on my delphi sky-fi unit I had in my old car). Seems like often I only get an artist's first name. In terms of sound quality, and fitment (no wires, no unit sticking out off the dash) it's a huge step up from the sky-fi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
danielg280,
How many hours did the dealership charge you for? They are telling me it's 2 hours at $105/hour! I am not sure I want to pay $210 for installation. The instructions seem pretty straight forward for the nissan XM unit. I may do it myself. There is another post of a few guys who did it themselves and listed pictures on their website. Check out the Audio section of this site.

·
4,664 Posts
The XM version has less text than the Sirius version. It's the receiver's limitation, not the Murano's radio.

All the Nissan and Infiniti kits are identical, except for the installation instructions and the optional harness. They all come with the same bits and Antenna.

If you have a 2003 you need the harness, after that, you don't. Since they're all the same, get the best price you can find.

Oh, and you don't have to put the antenna off to one side, like the instructions show. (I have no idea why they did that, but they've done worse antenna placements on other vehicles....)

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got in the USA SPEC cable for $40 and installed it last Friday. Just ordered the XM kit from Grubbs yesterday. I plan to install the antenna in the rear hatch first and see how it works. I will only move it to the roof if this does not work well and I have reception issues.

After I confirm that everything works I will post the source for the cable. The $40 included the shipping from CA to VA. Pretty good since the Infiniti cable is $80 without shipping. I am pretty sure it will work since this is the same cable you are using Jaak (Thanks for verifying the part number).

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Please let us know how the install went (pictures) and your results with the antenna located inside the hatch.

Thanks.

·
4,664 Posts
Yes the cable will work. I bought that cable, when I realised the connector on the radio end would fit. I had the kit for the FX which comes with a short harness that has a connector for the SAT receiver on the other end. I had an idea as to how I might splice the two together to make a functioning harness.

Well, when I got the USA-SPEC harness, I looked at the connectors and was very surprised and pleased to see it already had the right connectors at both ends! After confirming the wiring was what I thought it should be, I crossed my fingers, plugged it in and the beast came to life.

Well at that point, I was really excited, grabbed a camera, took a picture of it working and posted it on Fresh Alloy, which is where everyone was at the time.

I've since discovered that there is one more ground connection on the Nissan harness. I actually agree with the USA-SPEC harness config, as it's got less potential for ground loops.

For those of you not around at the time, Nissan was telling us that SAT didn't work in the Murano. A week after I posted the picture, the harness became available to the dealers. :rolleyes:

So yeah, it works, and it works fine. You don't have to buy the Nissan one, if you can get a hold of the USA-SPEC one. (But it's not that easy.)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Can we recap what is needed for a 2003 Murano for installation... a cable and the XM kit from Nissan right? Anything else?

What is the total coast? cable $40 , kit $??????

·
Registered
186 Posts
SIRIUS

XM is ok but I recommend SIRIUS....the content is better. The sports alone is worth choosing SIRIUS....plus their birds have a superior orbit...you are less likely to lose your signal when you travel through the mountains, for example.

Nearly all of salespeople at my local Acura dealer (I almost bought an MDX) have SIRIUS in their cars even though Honda/Acura has an exclusive deal with XM. My local Infinity dealer (who installed SIRIUS in my MO) will give you either (they have a deal with both companies) but they only push SIRIUS (no XM brochures in the place!) because they want their customers to have the best, and they believe that SIRIUS is the best.

·
4,664 Posts
Gonzo said:
Can we recap what is needed for a 2003 Murano for installation... a cable and the XM kit from Nissan right? Anything else?

What is the total coast? cable $40 , kit $??????
I think the kit's around $300, but if you watch eBay, I've seen a couple go used for half that.

You can get the Sat kit for any Nissan/Infiniti. They're all the same. So and eBay FX or G35 or whatever, will work on the Murano.

If you want a warranty and all the little bits and parts to do the install, then a new one's best.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought mine from Grubbshttp://www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com . I asked my dealer if something happened down the road and I did a self install what the warranty would be, and he said you only get the warranty if they install it. Grubbs has been very good about replaceing both.

Grubbs has a 5% discount for the month of May from the freshalloy G35 forum. This brought the XM Kit, plus XM antenna to $341 which included $28 shipping. The normal cost of the kit is $300, and the Antenna is $30.

As for the USA SPEC cable, call Bluz Broz. Entertainment at (954) 938-9889. You want the USA SPEC CDLNS cable for Nissan's. If they ask, just tell them you sold a Nissan and kept the changer, but forgot to remove the cable.

Look at Jaak's site for the cable installation instructions as they are great (only problem I had was locking the CD changer with the Nav equipped unit, I don't think it locked).

I will take pictures of the installation when I install next week (XM won't be here until June 3).

As for the Sirius vs. XM, I went with XM for two reasons. First I just got my wife a Trailblazer with XM and I plan to do the family plan. I like what I have seen from XM so far. Second XM has dropped the commercials now that it almost has the 2 Million subscribers it needs to break even. Sirius is no where near the break even point yet. XM is more sound as a company in the near term and Sirius's stock is diluted badly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kit for 2004 Murano

I have a 2004 Murano and want to install SAT. I called my dealer and I was quoted a price something like $649.00 for the kit and the install. I would like to try to save as much money as possible. Does anyone know offhand what my options are in regards to kits that I can purchase? I'm thinking I will just do it myself, but I really haven't got a clue where to actually get the equipment that I need to complete the install. Any help would be appreciated.
PS: Sorry if this information is already here on the site. I tried looking for it but kept coming up empty.

Thanks....

·
Registered
758 Posts
Calimar75

Try looking for any post by Jaak. he has a link as to how to install and what may be needed under his signature. JPBURK also has similar info if you can find it. Or better yet just look here:
Sat Install Info

1 - 13 of 13 Posts