Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the cabin filter. I was at the dealer today for an oil change and they wanted to change it and I told them I will do it. I was hoping to find a video on you tube but I couldn't find one. I have 15k miles. I at least would like to see the condition of it

·
Registered
30 Posts
I want to change the cabin filter. I was at the dealer today for an oil change and they wanted to change it and I told them I will do it. I was hoping to find a video on you tube but I couldn't find one. I have 15k miles. I at least would like to see the condition of it
Please take some pictures.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You have to go from passenger side. Remove center console right side panel - it's a panel near your left foot when you are sitting in a passenger side. There are clips, but you'll need some flat screwdriver or flat plastic stick of sort. After that remove glove box door: just open glove box door, press on the sides of glovebox and it will go down. There maybe 4 screws to completely remove it. After that you will see a filter case. Press tab and take the filter out. When you'll be putting new one in - check with arrow on new filter - it shows air flow and proper side to put it in.

It's dark outside and I can't take pictures, but if you won't be able to do it - let me know and I'll post photos.

P.S. i just googled some photo of old Murano, but it shows roughly the location of air cabin filter - it's that passenger side center console cover. This photo is NOT of 3rd gen. Murano - I just posted it for aid purpose.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did mine following the above directions. It is a pita. Once the glove box and side panel are removed you can see the little black cover that is about 1X7 inches. It's very hard to get your head in close enough to see what your doing. I used a pair of long nose pliers to grab the filler and slowly work it out without destroying it. You have to fold the new filter to get into the slot and hope it unfolds properly inside the holder.

When I attempted to put the 1X7 cover back on that's when the pita part started. The door has a clip on the bottom that should "snap" into place but would not because you can't see what your doing because your hand is in your way. It's all done by feel and there are a lot of sharp edges digging into the back of your hand. Maybe someone with small hands can do this much easier then me.

Also pulling apart the glove box only makes it a little easier to remove the side panel and maybe see a little better. So you may be able to skip this step if you can get the side panel off. Also you need to remove the glove box lamp harness off the box assembly which is a little tricky.

This is only a 10 minute job on my Forester compared to an hour on the Murano. Also the above Nissan instructions are not the best I've ever seen. Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free Apppic of had to remove clips

·
Registered
267 Posts
I did it without removing glove box. You just have to do it blind and shove the filter in (you have to fold and shove regardless of glove box so I just did it). It will take about 30 minutes your first time and about 5-10 on subsequent. Requires a loooot of flexibility so maybe you need to have your skinny friend help you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Removed the side panel. I then have to remove the glove box. The filter is above the panel I removed?
How do you remove the glove box. I see three hex screws below the door and a few above the door. There is also a string tied to the right side door arm.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I was quoted $90 today at the dealer when I was changing oil. So I wonder if it is something easy I could do if the filter costs only $20. I will venture out and see if I can do it myself.
Thanks for the instruction.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Why the big differ in dealer price

Boy ! $90 vs $38 , where are you guys. I can't figure why the big difference in price. Gripper :eek::eek:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I just change my cabin filter today.

If you are comfortable working around cars, then this should not be hard.
If the dealers charges you $40 or less, then I suggest getting done at the dealer.

I was quoted $90 to have it replace, so I decided to replace it myself; the filter itself cost me around $36.

Mine was pretty dirty after 15,000 miles ( see pictures ), I was going to wait til my next oil change to replace it.
But when I pulled it out, I was glad I decided to replace it, it look pretty dirty and this is the air you breath inside the car.

I removed my glove compartment, because my big hands could not fit the top of the filter. I am sure you can get it done without removing the glove compartment if you have small hands. The glove compartment is pretty easy to remove, 8 screws total.

The filter is pretty soft, so be sure not to bend it when you insert it. I wish they had some hard liners on the top and bottom of the filter, this would prevent it from bending when you insert it.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I replaced my cabin filter and it took me about 10-15 minutes. It wasn't that bad, just an obscure and inconvenient place for a service item. However, I can see why lots of owners would have it done at the dealership, or just neglect it. My 5th Datsun/Nissan, and I would say they are no different than other manufacturers in progressively making it more difficult for owners to self-service their vehicles due to engineering design.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts