Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has tried to clear their headlights by removing the amber reflector that is in them.

I know with many sport compacts, this is a very popular mod and really cleans up the front end of the vehicle. Usually it involves baking the headlamp and opening it up. I was also thinking about painting part of the housing black or graphite for a little bit sportier look.

If anyone has pics, that would be great!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
You might think its cool, but the reason why signal lights are amber is because its easy to see and distinguish from headlights. If you put a clear bulb in the front signals, I'm not sure how noticeable a blinking white light will be, and this can lead to an accident if someone doesn't realize you plan on turning.

On my Maxima.org days, a lot of members put on "clear corners" but replaced the bulbs with ambers. Driving around, clean clear look.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,

Thanks for your opinion, however, I would still like to see this done. I'm pretty sure a white light will be easier to see and brighter as it does not have a coating. Also, the light behind the reflector is only a 5 watt and serves the purpose as a parking light over a turn signal. If I were to do this mod, I would not be changing the color of the turn signal bulb.

I was looking through the gallery and noticed N2MURANOS had this done and it looks great! I would like to see more if anyone else has it done.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
cabin said:
Eric,

Thanks for your opinion, however, I would still like to see this done. I'm pretty sure a white light will be easier to see and brighter as it does not have a coating. Also, the light behind the reflector is only a 5 watt and serves the purpose as a parking light over a turn signal. If I were to do this mod, I would not be changing the color of the turn signal bulb.

I was looking through the gallery and noticed N2MURANOS had this done and it looks great! I would like to see more if anyone else has it done.
Oh, I get it now. If this is the case, do a search on this forum for "APC bulb" - a lot of people have changed the marker bulb to match (ok not quite, but close to) the HIDs. Good luck.

·
Registered
421 Posts
cabin said:

Actually, I just put a silver vinyl sticker over the amber lens.
It looks good in the day time and at night, the amber light still shines through.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have any close up pictures of it? From what I can see, it looks really good! Also, where did you get this silver vinyl? I definately want to do this to my MO, which is also silver.:cool:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here you go.

I placed a piece of vinyl sticker over the orange reflector. Then, I traced around the reflector using a pencil. I used an X-acto knife to shape the vinyl and I peeled off the excess vinyl. Be careful not to dig the knife too deep...or you'll scratch your headlight housing.

I didn't have an extra set of headlights to pry open and remove the reflector. So this will do for me.

At night, the amber light penetrates through the sticker with no problem.

You can find vinyl sticker at your local sign/sticker shop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow! Looks great. I think this will satisfy me until I get brave enough to open my headlights or find a set to purchase and disassemble.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
cabin said:
I was just wondering if anyone has tried to clear their headlights by removing the amber reflector that is in them.

I know with many sport compacts, this is a very popular mod and really cleans up the front end of the vehicle. Usually it involves baking the headlamp and opening it up. I was also thinking about painting part of the housing black or graphite for a little bit sportier look.

cabin,

You may want to contact AMON88. He painted his headlight housing, which I think came out very nice.

-Biggun

·
Registered
421 Posts
Re: Re: Anyone "clear" their headlights

biggun said:

cabin,

You may want to contact AMON88. He painted his headlight housing, which I think came out very nice.

-Biggun

Our members from Japan are very hard to get a hold of. AMON88 replied to a PM before. It took awhile and the translation was very hard to figure out. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
taking apart your headlight assy...

Hello all,

I am a new MO owner and this is my first posting. I just purchased the right and left hand side HID headlamps on eBay. Both of them had an internal problem. The left side had the plastic turn signal lens floating around and the right side had a broken orange side marker lens. I have fixed both issues after baking my lamps in the oven in the following manner:

1. 175 degrees for 25 minutes face up.
2. Take out and use a painters 5-in-1 tool to start working around the black glue stuff.
3. 175 degrees for another 25 minutes face up.
4. Take out and finish removal of lens.
5. Fixed the lens issues.
6. 175 degrees for 25 minutes face up with the top and bottom as connected as they can be. The black glue is sort of hard and prevents a solid joint...
7. The glue is hot and wet looking...firmly press top and bottom together.

Please remove all wires and electronics before baking. I only left the projector (minus the high beam motor) in the assy.

Now you can paint or modify your lights.

Good luck...I can attach pictures if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
rgangitano-

Nice work. I think that is the first time this particular "recipe" was posted here.

Out of curiosity, were you aware of the "internal problems" when you bought the HIDs? In other words, was the seller up front with you?

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
rgang,

I would love to see the picts. Very interesting stuff that I may need to do once I have the time to install mine.

BG

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
cabin said:

I bought Silver bulbs that have amber inside of them. So it look clear and clean when off but still amber when flashing. Lots of places on the internet have them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine had a 64 SMD Led Light amber super bright longer life and 120 SMD on the Fogs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts