Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this problem with my MO. Since February 05, i've noticed bluish-white smoke coming from my MO when I would start it up, but not all the time. So I complained to the Dealership and they kept telling me it was 'steam', but they found black goo inside the motor too. They said I wasn't changing the oil regularly! I also changed my oil on my own and didn't have 'proof' except for the sales receipts. So I was told to change my oil every 1000 miles for 6 months. At that point, 1000 miles for me was every week and a half. I did this. Still smoking. I would take pictures of it with my cell phone. So I called in December 05 and the dealership said the next oil change I do to bring it to them. Well I've now done that, took them all oil change receipts, and the pictures of my poor MO smoking. The service guy took one look and the pictures, asked me to have a seat and he'd look at the car. 15 minutes later he comes back to me and tells me that he's put in a call to Nissan and the only fix for it was to replace the engine! So they didn't change the oil, that was 2 days ago and since then my MO starts to knock at times, the service engine soon lite has come on and the oil lite flashes when I stop or take off.

I just have to know if this is happening to anyone else?

TIA

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Shiftless-

A few questions for you...

How many miles on your MO? What year is your MO? Where/how did they find the black goo?

First things first. Check the oil level. If the oil light is flashing under the situations you describe then the oil level is low. Maintain the oil level to prevent further damage.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
It sounds to me that the engine ran low on oil at some point, causing damage to the piston rings, and now oil is getting into the combustion chamber, causing the smoke you describe. There really is no way to fix it, since engine damage has already occured. If it cannot be repaired under warranty, then you'll have to foot the bill. :(

This goes to show the importance of monitoring your engine oil level. You should NEVER drive when the oil pressure light is lit, ever.

I think frequency of oil changes now are unlikely the cause of this problem, since a healthy engine can probably go 7500 miles on conventional oil without an issue (oil is much better nowadays). I suspect a leak somewhere and as the oil level got lower and lower, eventually it got low enough to cause engine damage. The oil pressure light need not come on in such a case, since it is only an indicator for catastrophic oil loss, not a gradual decline.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Bluish smoke on start up usually indicates worn valve guides.....not terribly serious ... .oil leaks down the worn valve guides into the combustion chamber and burns on startup....oil level low enough that when under full power, a loss of oil pressure occurs, will cause bearing failure (crank/rod) rather than piston ring wear... engine goo ??knocking?? Replace entire engine?? something strange here...if under warranty ...no problem...if you are paying, get a second opinion from a 3rd party mechanic.....I don't trust dealer service departments!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I agree with senza. Worn valve guides will cause smoke on startup. Infrequent oil changes may however build sluge that hardens on the valve rods and contribute to this but that is easily detectable if valve covers are removed. So to repeat what senza has suggested, probably nothing you have done to cause this problem so if under warranty, it should be covered by Nissan, and if you are paying, take it to someone other than the dealer...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank-you all for your imput. I'm taking it to the dealership where I bought it and they are paying for it. Hopefully this week I'll know when the new engine will be in. I've had a few problems with my MO, but would never give it up. It's way too fun to drive on long trips. I'll keep you updated on the replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bluish smoke on startup

Shiftless, I just started having that problems like you I was told to get a oil change. Still having the bluish smoke on startup. I will take it to the dael has there been a recall for this problem.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
No recall.... the VQ is pretty much bullet proof. Unfortunately like anything man made, the manufacturing process is not bullet proof.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Bluish smoke on start up

Sounds like something I did back in the fifties.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
My wife said yesterday that in the past few weeks she has seen 2 different Mos smoking at the traffic light and make a nice puff on launch.

Now I may have my hunch wrong but....

The Mo lends itself to very low RPMs in city driving if babied, sub 2k constantly for many miles I am sure is not a good thing. In my experiance, all engines need to be reved up at least daily for good health. Not red line but at least 3.5 to 4k.

On that tac:

(yes I will mention the 92 crown vic once more)
My Dad gave my son his CV. It has 72k miles. It is horrible about shifting into 3rd at 25mph, OD at 45mph. I know it was owned by the provebial little old lady and driven to the local store and Dr., same as my Dad. I bet it hasn't seen 4k rpm until the day I drove it. On a 4k pull, it does smoke, the more the merrier. On normal baby, let-it-shift-stupidly driving it doesn't smoke a bit.

I'm thinking folks baby Mo's to much.

There could be a manufacturing defect, but, I think the Mo does lend itself to easily be driven at a very low rpm, and the VQ needs wringing out every once in a while; actually, all engines do.

I could be wrong, but it sounds good :2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
bluish smoke

Dear Shiftless:
Be Careful! I had the same problem and they did grant me a new engine but it did NOT solve the problem! I was beebopping around with my new engine feeling as though I had a new lease on life with this problematic car and by the second oil change (and I change it every 2000 mi) the engine was sludged up again. Now they are getting nasty and accusatory at the dealership and saying it's something I did to the engine. If you do get e new engine check the oil every week, and if it's down at all take it back right away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dear Eric L;
I bought my MO with 18000 mi on it and I NEVER ever saw the oil light come on, but my engine was sludged from it burning oil,
and the only warning I got was occasional blue smoke, which the salesman told me was condensation.
I did change my oil regularly. Have you ever heard of the warning lights being faulty? A car with that many miles shouldn't burn oil!
I owned 2 volvos before this lemon and never needed to add oil between service visits until 175,000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Needed new engine

Thanks God my MO still under warranty, had to have a new engine.
Before they would do the work free I had to show my oil change receipts.:mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
You've only seen the beginning!

Guys I need your help! I have a 04 sl awd mo and he just hit 121000 no check engine light, and its blowing blue smoke roughly 85% of the time! my engine sounds brand new no knock or ping except for around highway exits if i push the throttle hard to merge into traffic. legit my mo will make three loud knocky clicky pingy noises and poooof blue smoke blinds everyone behind me then he calms down and no blue smoke for a bit?! when i first got it it was low on oil and it took four oil change and a seafoam in the crankcase treatment to stop the oil burning and clean up the engine... either way he barely burns any oil now but is still puffing out blue smoke if i accelerate to briskly... regardless dealer had me replace the thermostat, and the oil every 500 miles (yeah that bad) and hes doing much better just blue smoke on start up and when i punch it nobody else has this problem the engine isnt mixing fluids and isnt dripping oil either. regardless anything would help ill keep you posted on my journey, as of right now hes going in for spark plugs soon as hes currently almost 17000 miles past due and im hoping this fixes the problem (saying its just running and not burning all the gas due to severely fouled plugs, even though i dont think this has anything to do with blue smoke) Help! its embarrassing! once again there is no engine tick or knock and no lights on the dash he runs beautiful just blue smoke occasional black mix and a studder here and there

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
Muranoguy04...

First, paragraphs and punctuation are your friends, and make your writing easier to read.

Here's what I think I get:

- The car has been blowing blue smoke, especially under hard acceleration.
- It was low on oil when you got it, but you have changed oil often and run Seafoam through it.
- Regardless of the above, it's not using much oil.
- You're going to have the plugs changed, and they're past due. (This sounds like a great idea, and one that may solve your problems.)

My thoughts:

First, you say it's not burning oil. That means what you think is blue smoke and occasional black smoke is probably mostly black smoke. Black smoke means the engine is running rich.

Running rich makes me ask if the check engine light is on or it has been throwing codes....?

And there's not a lot of specific information in your post - as well as being hard to read and understand.

I think you just need to chill, get the plugs changed, drive it 3,000 miles or so after that. During this period, take careful note of the amount and mileage at each gas fill up, as well as any oil that's added. Then come back and tell us exactly what you have observed in that 3,000 miles...citing the exact MPG you are getting, and the miles between adding quarts of oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, I was using my iphone in the last post. Anyway, Black smoke just started today, hence why I'm here. The blue smoke is getting ridiculous! Dealer quoted me $410 to do the tune up today, I just spent $300 on the thermostat last Friday and just paid for the car in cash a week and a half ago, therefore I have no money to do that right now.. I'm new to the forum, so help me out here if I sound weak with my description.

- Hard acceleration (over 2k rpms) = Cloud of blue smoke
- Floored in D = Black/Blue mix
- No Check Engine Light (PO442 dirty gas cap from FSU replacement) (No other CEL's stored)
- Needs plugs bad! (My guess, and dealer strongly agreed after pulling a plug) (have pic)
- New thermostat ( dealer stated it was stuck open)
- Entire Cluster Inaccurate (gas gauge off as well as temp gauge)
- New fuel sending unit last week as well (dealer warrantied)
- Oil changed (119994, 120312, 120902 seafoamed at this time, and 121301 its now at 121608 and hasn't burned a drop just tons of blue smoke)

Also, when I first got it I was exiting the highway, went to accelerate again and noticed a huge cloud of blue smoke. I pulled over right away, shut it off and checked the dipstick, it was bone dry.. regardless, added roughly two quarts of oil to it until the following morning to not starve the engine any longer of oil on my way to the dealer. They stated on the first oil change it was thick and very black, I went into protect my MO mode and have been changing the oil like crazy at the dealer as stated above, it burned oil about halfway down the dipstick before the following oil change until I ran seafoam in the crankcase only. Hardly any blue smoke was showing during the seafoam run (clumpy oil drained out), and oil burning came to a stop! Unfortunetly the blue smoke still has not, which to my knowledge isn't blue smoke oil burning?

Right now my biggest concern is the blue smoke, I'm in fear of blowing the engine on my Rex (MO). Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
You cannot be burning oil and yet not lose any oil. Just not possible. Not that I don't believe you but are you sure it is blue smoke and not black? Blue is oil and black is gas.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Blue smoke = oil burning. Black smoke = burning rich, i.e. incomplete combustion.

If you are seeing blue smoke, you are burning oil and quite a bit of it (usually burning oil at a slow rate cannot be seen from inside the car). Changing the oil and using seafoam will not fix whatever is causing the oil to burn, which is probably oil seeping past the rings. In other words, your engine was improperly maintained in the past and there needs to be a mechanical repair to fix the oil consumption problem.

To get an accurate oil level reading, you need to let the engine sit for at least 15 minutes after shutting it off. Then check the oil. The dipstick will always show artificially high if you check it too soon. Better yet, check the oil after letting the car sit overnight.

Changing the plugs might solve the rich fuel situation, but you'll really need the engine taken apart to solve the oil consumption. It won't be a cheap repair. Can you do nothing? Sure, but you'll continue to burn oil and wear the rings even further.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts