Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea I've been running into this a lot lately. I fill up and if the Vehicle Information Display is to be believed, my mileage is awful.

I've seen it show me 13.1 MPG at times. Other times it tops out at 19 MPG.

I don't get the advertised mileage anymore, again if said VID is to be believed. I checked the live data with an app a week ago and it showed the upstream oxygen sensors were running at 99.3% rich at idle. I'm not sure what to make of that. At first I thought the MAF was partially connected, as I was a bit lazy about reconnecting it after changing spark plugs a month ago. After tightening it down it seemed to help, but I am sort of back to that 19-13 MPG range. Its consistent but random.

Any ideas? Similar experiences? Solutions??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hold up. I was not precise with the tightening of the intake manifold collector bolts (didn't trust the service manual I found on isuu.com, it was super grainy too. nor did I trust my old torque wrench). I'll have a go at it with said torque wrench this evening when everything cools down. Being die cast aluminum I was very concerned about cracking the collector.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My MPG was a pitiful 13 in L.A., and then it bumped to 15 or 16 once in a less congested area. What made the difference was going back to 93 octane and using STP High Mileage additive every fillup. Within just a few months (or less) it increased to something like 24 highway, 21 city and it stayed at those levels even with partially clogging CATs. I started using STP around the 180,000 mile mark. Since buying the 2003 AWD new, I only used 93, then in 2015-2016 I went cheap and started using 87 octane, and then I went back to 93 and STP and things were back on track.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My MPG was a pitiful 13 in L.A., and then it bumped to 15 or 16 once in a less congested area. What made the difference was going back to 93 octane and using STP High Mileage additive every fillup. Within just a few months (or less) it increased to something like 24 highway, 21 city and it stayed at those levels even with partially clogging CATs. I started using STP around the 180,000 mile mark. Since buying the 2003 AWD new, I only used 93, then in 2015-2016 I went cheap and started using 87 octane, and then I went back to 93 and STP and things were back on track.
I don't really want to add STP every time I fill up and that feels like applying a bandaid to problem. I prefer find a solution for the problem at hand. Also its great to know that your murano has lasted you 300k miles even with the CVT. I moved from a western state to the rust belt 9 months ago, made it through the winter. Not sure if there's much of a difference between now and last summer but I did apply Krown liberally prior to winter (road salt season). I'm seeing a bit more rust than I expected to. Anyway. If I can keep the rust at bay I would be happy to see my vehicle last another 150k ;)

I had new tires installed on thursday, and they're great (rated for 60k miles, sick white firestone lettering), unfortunately drivers side tie rod and both lower ball joints need replacing, so alignment has to wait. I wanted to do the work myself but I realized I hate chassis work, it makes me uncomfortable especially with a vehicle so heavy. I am mentioning this because when I got to loosening the wheels to take her up in the air I realized the tech had tightened them to spec; or so I assume. I am not sure my TW works right and so I just tighten it down with my lug wrench. Point being I think the tech recognized that I've kept this vehicle in great shape and made sure the wheel lugs were torqued right. TC doesn't leak. Nothing leaks, actually, even at 150k. No oil consumption. Excellent rig.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea I've been running into this a lot lately. I fill up and if the Vehicle Information Display is to be believed, my mileage is awful.

I've seen it show me 13.1 MPG at times. Other times it tops out at 19 MPG.

I don't get the advertised mileage anymore, again if said VID is to be believed. I checked the live data with an app a week ago and it showed the upstream oxygen sensors were running at 99.3% rich at idle. I'm not sure what to make of that. At first I thought the MAF was partially connected, as I was a bit lazy about reconnecting it after changing spark plugs a month ago. After tightening it down it seemed to help, but I am sort of back to that 19-13 MPG range. Its consistent but random.

Any ideas? Similar experiences? Solutions??
I noticed in Chicago I was averaging 18mpg between city and hwy. When I reset the display before an hour run of highway I see an average of around 24mpg. Dumb question, but does your display spike when you let off the gas? If not then I would say your VID is a little messed up. I was getting nervous too because I kept seeing an average of 18. I did notice that anything over about 75mph the mpg drops significantly so I have been babying it around 65-75.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts