Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacing my OEM stero with an alpine unit with retractable monitor. Just wondering if anyone has put in an aftermarket stereo did you lose your steering wheel stereo controls? That would suck. Also what happens on your factory LCD screen where stereo info usually shows up. Does it just stay blank or what? Any help would be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I did If you look at this post http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1927

I am not sure why I lost the controls in my steering wheel. I'm not sure if they couldn't connect it or what I will have to check. It is kind of funny, I rarely used it with my stock stereo, but now all of sudden that I don't have that ability I want to use it, what up with that :28:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
simplesb that's a great install I love the box. I didnt go that custom because I want to easily be able to remove it if I need to load a lot of stuff. I just had an alpine amp and a box with two 12" eclipse aluminum subwoofers installed today. The box is pretty cool looking cause it has round aluminum bars running accross the front to protect the speakers. Works well for me since I want to still be able to toss stuff in the back and I think it looks really good since it matches the brushed aluminum trim on the Murano. You still have the face to your old deck on your dash?? why did you keep it? I assume you took out the actual stereo. I also am going to go with the alpine iva-d300 but they are going to remove the factory stereo and put the new unit in its place. I actually talked to the alarm dealer today about the steering wheel controls and they told me that they can add a unit that will connect those controls to a remote and then transmit to an infrared receiver to control stereo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
he kept the original stereo, because if you take it out you lose climate controls. the lcd and stereo are all connected in the back by one big circuit board...if you pull the radio, no more a/c, heat, or fan.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is that true???? I cant imagine that they would make it so you would lose all those things if you changed your radio.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Yes it is true, and it's very frustrating for those of us who like to upgrade.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So with all the techies on this forum is there anyone who can figure a way to work around that. I want to replace my stereo but I definitely dont want to keep both stereos. Is there a way to keep just the circuit board or whatever components are needed connected inside the dash and take out the stereo. Once the stereo is removed because you would also be removing the in-dash cd changer i'd think there should be lots of room in the dash for those components and still have room for the new stereo.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
194 Posts
Jaycen:

I understand you dilemma...there is so much cool gear out there for cars but you are compelled to stay with this radio because it is integrated.....

Well, there are many folks on this board that could probably reverse engineer the radio. I am even inclined to think that if I really put my head to it I could do it but the fact of the matter is it would take HUGE amounts of time to first understand the communication protocol between the radio and the other systems, then you have to build a bridging circuit with some pretty sophisticated ic's to take over communications once the bose electronics are gone. It is not just a matter of jumping some wires. If it were that simple a lot of folks on this board would have done it already. Im sorry if I put a negative spin on this but I think you may be better off upgrading thee amp and speakers before attempting to fool around with the head unit. The radio is really not that bad sounding. Its just the other components that are a weak link. I would be really surprised if you can find an installer that would take on this task. If they did do it something is going to be sacrificed (temp display and other info as well)

·
4,601 Posts
I think I've posted this picture a few times.....

And I completely agree with Generator. Possible? Yes. Worth the investment? No.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK this news is really disheartening. But I have one last idea to run by you guys. Would it be possible to actually relocate the existing stereo components somewhere else out of sight, say if you could find room in the dash or under the rear seat even, keeping it hooked up to the lcd display for all your other functions but unhooking it from your speaker system and then installing a new stereo unit in its place?

·
4,601 Posts
The problem is your climate control is off the same circuit board. All those buttons, except for the top row, is on one board.

If you do some digging, perhaps another Nissan or Infiniti product's climate controls are separate and you might be able to use those.

Still, a lot of messing around and even more $$$ than just upgrading the Power Amp and speakers.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you are saying that you cant move the radio without moving the climate controls also. That really sucks I really wanted to switch it out. I already have upraded my woofers and amp but I wanted add the stereo unit that has a monitor that comes out of the dash and can play dvds. Aghhhh well I guess there is no way to do it then. Ok well then I guess it is on to plan 2. The main reason I wanted to change the stereo is because I wanted one with the monitor that comes out of the dash to use for viewing dvds. Does anyone know if there is a motorized retractable monitor like the ones in those stereo units that is only a monitor and not a whole stereo unit. If I can find one like that i can move the stereo pod down like I saw done by simplesb on this forum and mount the monitor above it. I would then just add a dvd player somewhere else. I just dont want to have two stereos mounted on the dash because I think that looks a lil strange.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Would it be possible to actually relocate the existing stereo components somewhere else out of sight, say if you could find room in the dash or under the rear seat even, keeping it hooked up to the lcd display for all your other functions but unhooking it from your speaker system and then installing a new stereo unit in its place?
If you mean the head unit, the stereo and the face (ie the controls) are seperate. In the back of my current set up I removed the old stereo and only the face and controls remain. I do not think it is possible to do anything with the actual circuit board unless someone here can make a new one, but I'm sure at that point your warranty would be voided. Your best bet is to mount the new head unit somewhere else and connect the new components to it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
simplesb do you know if it would be possible to move the pod down like you did but still keep the original stereo hooked up? I didnt realize that you had all your components removed when you had yours done. By the way where are you in the bay area. maybe I could check out your system sometime. I was trying to hook up with haddock from this forum also. He is also in the bay area and just had 22 inch rims put on his Murano and I wanted to see how they looked in person.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
jaycen29 said:
The main reason I wanted to change the stereo is because I wanted one with the monitor that comes out of the dash to use for viewing dvds.
Silly I know, but it has to be said, well, asked -- I assume you don't have Nav? You mentioned LCD in your first post in the thread, which is the type of screen the Nav screen is, instead of LED, which I would call the non-Nav status screen. If you have Nav, just convert that to be your video display instead of all this hub-bub trying to squeeze an aftermarket unit in somewhere. I'm going on a technicality here, I know, but there may be an easy answer here after all.

Generator is finishing up an awesome project kit for converting the Nav screen to support composite video in, if you have Nav. It would still be up to you to get a small, DC-powered DVD player and the PAC Audio aux-in kit.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah unfortunately I dont have the nav I have the LED. Sorry for the misuse. If I had known all I know now I definitely would have gotten nav. I had posted about trying to get ahold of a nav DCU (I believe that is what they called it) and changing my led screen to a lcd screen so I could still get my AC info etc. on the screen and also watch DVDs but that was shot down as too difficult also. But Im not giving up there has to be some solution to this. Just wish I was more techno savvy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jaak you said all the controls are on the same board except the top row. Did you mean the row with the joystick control or is that part of the same board also?

·
4,601 Posts
The top row is the buttons that have the clock setting in the middle. The joysticks on that big honkin' board with the slots in it for the CD's and Cassettes. (Ewww... It hurts just to type Cassette, it's such an old technology!)

Yes, the guts behind are separate... So if there's a compatible contol panel for the climate control, from another vehicle made by Nissan, it's possible it might be substituted for this whole mess, leaving you with what you want.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
seems like that would be very unlikely to find because it would also have to be compatible to all of the functions controlled by the row with the joystick also (Personal settings, etc...) and you 'd think that those exact same preferences would not be found in most other cars right?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I live in the East Bay in San Leandro, but I work in the Mountain View. I am not sure if you can still have the stock stereo mounted. I believe that the brackets were removed to mount the other stereo. If you are close I can point you to the stereo shop that had mine installed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts