Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of putting that DC outlet in the back of my Murano to use for road trips.

Does anyone have any experience with using an auto cooler (small refrigerator)? I've heard that they can run a car battery down rather quickly if the car is not running.

If someone can post some experiences with using one or recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
None of the 3 DC power ports in the Murano supply current when the ignition is in the off position. On ACC or ON, they are hot, but otherwise, they are off. Your fridge will run only when the car is on, although it would probably be good to plug it in after the engine is turned on, to avoid loading up the battery on startup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think of that. In my old truck one of the DC outlets was always hot. I just figured the one in the back of the Murano was always hot.

That might not be a bad thing though. It will keep you from running down your battery. I'd probably only need it to be running during long drives. When I stop for lunch or gas it would stay cool enough without running for an hour or two.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
I have one of those coller box pluggewd into my MO

on my recent roadtrips. Really help to store diet cokes, bottled water and even ice cream. My Gf loves it so much. And it is not expensive, $45 dollars from Target i think.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Mine is exactly like the 1st one, but the smaller version (pic)

Marky:
Do you happen to know what make/model you have?
You can find it here: Target Cooler1

or hereTo Target cooler2

Both model comes with vehicle plug, wall adapter plug and an inverter (to convert 120V AC to DC). The fridge only take DC.
The inverter is handy because you can use the fridge indoor, like in the home office or at your office next to your table or etc etc...

Attachments

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Hey how are you Indiana_mike?

It has been a while since your last posts? :)

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
What is the SMALLEST one that anybody has ever run across?

I am a diabetic and would like to find a very small 12/110v cooler.
Most that I have seen are many times larger than I need/want.
If I could find one that was something like 10"x4"x6" I would be pleased....

Homer

·
Registered
77 Posts
hfelknor said:
What is the SMALLEST one that anybody has ever run across?
Homer
The one I have is designed to carry one 6-pack, either bottles or cans. The external dimension is about 1' L x 1' H x 6"W. It relies on the Peltier effect as opposed to a compressor as the heat pump. It draws about 4 amps at 12V and does not get very cold. The manual says up to 25 degrees below the ambient temperature. Bought in some discount auto store.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Coolers

I drove a big truck in mid-90's. :eek: . Had a Koolatron. Worked well. Saved me money while putting on all those miles.
The price for coolers has come down since then but the qualiity may have suffered, ie: Chinese junk. :rolleyes: Ask Truckers' for their opinion as to the best brand. :) Darrell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts