Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed recently that my engine in the Murano pings when accelerating from a stop--87 or 91 octane! Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm contemplaiting taking it to the dealer, but usually, this problem lies in the ECU or knock sensor, but I don't have a check engine light.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Try a different gas station before bringing it into the dealer

Gas stations pay for gas by the truckload. So if they over-order 87 octane (sold almost 3:1 over Premium), they don't send the truck back with the excess. Instead, it goes into a in-ground tank that isn't as full. Usually this ends-up being the 91 octane tank.

I didn't realize this until I spoke with someone who used to work at Texaco. But I did corroborate this with my Mustang SVO. That car (with the chip I have in it) is tuned so tightly against the octane limit that I can instantly tell when gas isn't 91 octane or better. (I end-up using another can of octane booster when I hear knock.)

I would try going to another gas station and filling-up with Premium and see if you're still experiencing the problem. Also, since it's still hotter than Hades out in the SouthWest, that does lead to increased likelihood for detonation.

Bob K.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha. Hotter than Hades it is! Anyway, I have tried many different gas stations--Chevron, the gas on base, and Texaco to name a few. It's been doing it for quite a while too. I also thought that part of the cause was with heat, but tonight the temp guage said 75 degress and it was still doing it. My cell phone compartment door came off so I might bring it up when I take the Murano in for that....

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Dookie said:
--Chevron, the gas on base, and Texaco to name a few.
Hey Dookie,

I see you're based at Nellis AFB. I was just golfing there two weeks ago. Were you the guy I was talking to in the pro shop about the Murano? What are the odds?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I run nothing but 87 octane, and NEVER get audible pinging. I'm in Texas, and the Murano has seen some 90 degree days. Audible pinging means the knock retard is either not working or is maxed out. Not a good situation in either case. I suggest you tread lightly on the right pedal and take it in soon.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I know how dealers are and if they can't duplicate it, they won't do anything about it. My pinging problem has recently stopped as well. I have no idea, and I have been listening for it too.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Dookie said:
Yep that's me! Hpw did you golf that day?
I shot an 80 on the Eagle side. I could have had my record round at Nellis, but, like an idiot, I went for the green on 18, the ball barely cleared the lake and then rolled back into the water (ala Tin Cup)! We love that track. We also played the Raptor side but there were some funky green conditions.

I'll attest; after seeing it live, Dookie has a kick-ass MO!

How the heck do you keep a car clean in the desert? My buddy drove up from LA to meet me, and after 4 days his car looked like crap. You must have to wash that thing constantly. You would think that with an inch of rain every 300 years, car cleanliness wouldn't be much of an issue. Wrong.

:1:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The secret here in the desert is the good ol' California Car Duster. If you do it once a day, it should keep the truck fairly clean. I also use the Zaino quick clean spray as well, along with Zaino wax. Together the car stays clean. I am pretty anal about it, but I guess it's something I like to do. I hear it from the wife almost everyday....she would drive a car with out washing it one time in the entire life of it! (it seems):2:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Dookie said:
I hear it from the wife almost everyday....she would drive a car with out washing it one time in the entire life of it! (it seems)
Ditto that. I tell people you need a Tetanus shot to ride in my Wife's car! I found a happy meal box in there from '98!

·
Registered
6 Posts
sorry to interrupt the golf thread, but my murano has been pinging lately. of course, nissan "couldn't duplicate the problem." it happens mostly when at a constant speed and a small but quick increase in throttle is introduced. i get a small batch of pings. some days worse than others. sometimes i can't get it to happen.

i didn't notice it until i had the car for months. my wife and i were driving through a quiet neighborhood looking at houses. it was quite obvious. usually traffic or road noise obscures it. now i notice it with the windows rolled up.

pinging is caused by predetonation of the fuel-air mixture. the force of the explosion contacts the top of the piston while it is still moving upward in the cylinder. the pinging noise is the piston being knocked sideways in the cylinder, knocking against the cylinder walls. the same cylinder walls you want to be ultra-smooth for performance and efficiency reasons. over time it can significantly damage the engine.

since it's throttle-by-wire, it's definitely the ecu's fault.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With all the new technology under the hood, I would say it is the ECU, or maybe the knock-sensor? Could be the component that adjusts the timing as well? I'm not sure. Mine eventually went away. It hasn't been doing it as of yet either.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I try to stay with the known brands of gas to at least minimize the chance of getting some bad gas--usually go to Chevron or Mobil out here in the West.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The manual does some double speak saying to use at least 87 octane but that Nissan recommends using at least 91 octane. I've used 89 without knocking. The check engine light used to come on in my 96 Maxima (after 150k miles) if you used anything less than 93. A tank of 93 and it would turn off.

I've also heard that the oil companies 'adjust' many variables in their fuels based on time of year, region and geographic altitude. So you may not get the same 93 octane Exxon from one Exxon to the next or one season to the next.

I'm going to keep decreasing the octane I use until I get knock and then use the next higher.

George

1 - 16 of 16 Posts