Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find the AAI-NIS anymore, and the AAI-NIS2 are backordered till February. Has anyone use the AAI-NIS2 yet? If so how is it, and if you have and AAI-NIS did it seem better or the same audio wise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I want one now! :)

i am wondering if there is a way to install this in the back by the sat tuner using the output from the sirurs tuner itself. I know there would be a need to tap into other wires and probably extend some.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
big-d said:
I want one now! :)

i am wondering if there is a way to install this in the back by the sat tuner using the output from the sirurs tuner itself. I know there would be a need to tap into other wires and probably extend some.
Gripperdon did this. Check jaaks website for connection info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
after seeing a better picure of it on jaaks site i am thinking you wouldnt even need to extend any wires.

I am guessig the red wire that goes to the head unit jumper is just power, you could probably get this from the rear area (possibly just use the power wire from the sat tuner or amp)

Maybe all you would need to do is tap that into power and then plug the sat connection into the reciever itself?

the only thing that might hold it back is how the tuner or the pacs software works.

·
I know, I know, pull over
72 Posts
what are the other benefits of the AAI-NIS2? Can you use this with an iPod and be able to use the steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I should have mine by the end of next week I will in form as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just got my aai-nis2 yesterday. I ordered new off ebay from specialty2002. He carries all sorts of PAC components at decent prices. Oh one last shameless plug, he shipped the item extremly fast. I won the item on Friday and had it in my mail box on Monday. He shipped from Varginia and I am in Texas.

Anyways I am waiting for my PocketPC mount to arrive before I install the PAC. Does any one have a definitive answer on what the single red wire running from the radio connector is. I am sure it is power but is it constant, ACC switched or radio ON switched??? I really don't want to install the two harnesses just to get a 12v lead if I can eaisly and more cleanly run it out the fuse block or something.

Thanks,
Pacmo

·
Registered
78 Posts
big-d said:
i was also wondering the same thing.
I sent an email to PAC tech support. If they don't answer me I will just take a meter to it when I install the PAC. I will let you know what I hear.

Pacmo

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It is the only power source to the pac unit so it must be constant. There is no reason for the pac unit to remain powered if the radio is off. This is why you want to tap to the radio power.

You need to get to the back of the radio to connect the pac unit to the SAT harness location, so the question is why wouldn't you want to connect the plug-n-play power connector to the radio harness? :confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
biggun said:
It is the only power source to the pac unit so it must be constant. There is no reason for the pac unit to remain powered if the radio is off. This is why you want to tap to the radio power.

You need to get to the back of the radio to connect the pac unit to the SAT harness location, so the question is why wouldn't you want to connect the plug-n-play power connector to the radio harness? :confused:
I figured as much. In fact after I sent the email I realized that Jaak has the radio harness pin out on his web site. That should answer this question. I will take a look and see for sure. If its truly radio on/off then it makes sense to tap the radio, but I could live with acc switch power. What would it hurt for the PAC to be on when the car is on and the radio is not?

I dont wan't to use the plug and play harness because it adds 20 unnecessary connection points between the radio and everything else. As a perfectionist and sound purist this seems a bit counter intuitive to me. It greatly increases the chances of noise entering the system, mainly by adding unnecessary resistance to an already low voltage signal. As well as increasing the chances of a signal break thru a loose connection etc... etc...

Pacmo

·
Registered
19 Posts
pacmo said:

I figured as much. In fact after I sent the email I realized that Jaak has the radio harness pin out on his web site. That should answer this question. I will take a look and see for sure. If its truly radio on/off then it makes sense to tap the radio, but I could live with acc switch power. What would it hurt for the PAC to be on when the car is on and the radio is not?

I dont wan't to use the plug and play harness because it adds 20 unnecessary connection points between the radio and everything else. As a perfectionist and sound purist this seems a bit counter intuitive to me. It greatly increases the chances of noise entering the system, mainly by adding unnecessary resistance to an already low voltage signal. As well as increasing the chances of a signal break thru a loose connection etc... etc...

Pacmo
That is the exact same reason I dont want to use the harness.
sometimes being a perfectionist sucks :)

That is why i was hoping to install it in the back on the output of the sat reciever. I dont even know if the connection is the same or not but that is what i was hoping to do.

Does anybody even know what the exta port is for on the sat tuner? Maybe there were plans for a cd changer or something.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
big-d said:
Does anybody even know what the exta port is for on the sat tuner? Maybe there were plans for a cd changer or something.
CD changer in some infinity HUs that support it.....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well I got my AAi-NIS2 installed last night. I gave up on running a seperate line for the single red wire comming off the radio plug. I may change this in the future I just didn't have the time last night. All and all the unit is working very nicely. I can finally play my MP3's in my MO! It seems that the crosstalk issue has not been resolved yet. If I have the MP3 on aux 1 preset A and leave it playing and then switch to preset B or C I can hear ugly sounding crosstalk entering the system. This is not a problem for me since I only have one device to connected to the PAC at this time. I am thinking of adding a carputer later so I will have to deal with it then.

Pacmo

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well I finally got a response form PAC regarding the function of the single red wire running to the radio harness. Here is their reply:

There should be no reason to run the red wire anywhere else in the vehicle.
We made the interface to be a plug and play interface for easy installment
and so there are no warranty issues. However, the red wire is a switched 12
volts.

Thank you,
Joe Riggs
Tech Support
Pacific Accessory Corp.
714-835-3022

So it looks like 12v ACC switched would work just fine. With that being said I belive PAC may not give you any warranty if you modify the plug and they seem to be insinuating that it may also invalidate your Nissan warranty as well! I guess that would be up to how and what you tapped into for your 12v ACC power.

Pacmo

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think when PAC say "switched" 12v source, they are referring to the radio power. This is so that the unit is on only when the radio is on.

If you don't want to have all of those open connections form the plug and play install, I would suggest that you tap your power from the radio fuse using one of those dual fused taps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
biggun said:
I think when PAC say "switched" 12v source, they are referring to the radio power. This is so that the unit is on only when the radio is on.

If you don't want to have all of those open connections form the plug and play install, I would suggest that you tap your power from the radio fuse using one of those dual fused taps.

I agree PAC is probably referring to RADIO switched power. However that is a very diffcult thing to find. The radio fuse on the fuse block is still only ACC switched, NOT as the radio is turned on and off. To get radio switched you would have to find the remote amp or power antena turn on lead. I don't see any harm in having the AAI-NIS come on when the key is in the ACC position since it is a pre-amp device. It would be a different story if the device was installed after the radio like a power amp or active crossover. If these type of devices were on without the radio on it could introduce noise but not if the device is in front of the radio.

Pacmo

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Pacmo,

Have you been able to confirm what the AAI-NIS2 offer versus the AAI-NIS?

- Biggun

·
Registered
78 Posts
biggun said:
Pacmo,

Have you been able to confirm what the AAI-NIS2 offer versus the AAI-NIS?

- Biggun
As far as I can tell the NIS2 only adds the ability to have the factory sat pass through the PAC. There is now a switch labled Sat - No Sat. And it looks like with the factory sat installed and the NIS2 you still get two aux inputs.

With Sat and BOSE
Preset A = Factory Sat
Preset B = Aux 1
Preset C = Aux 2

With No Sat and BOSE
Preset A = Aux 1
Preset B = Aux 2
Preset C = Unused

There is some other talk about when the steering wheel controlls will and will not work with the SWI-X but I got lost in all of that.

Hope this helps,
Pacmo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts