Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia/Mercedes ML/Sorrento

Maybe it is just me, but did Mercedes even look at pictures of other SUV's when they did the redesign?

The picture is of a 2006 ML350 and a 2003 Sorrento.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Good comparison! I've seen quite a few similarities between the new breed of Korean vehicles and other luxury vehicles. The Hundai Sonata that my brother has looks quite a bit like a Jaguar (lower end one of course), and I think they are trying to appeal to a more upscale market than they did when they entered the market here with Econoboxes and low end vehicles. I think the Japanese and others should be looking over their shoulders at the Koreans because they seem to be quietly sneaking up. I think they still have quite a ways to go yet, but they are making considerable progress.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I posted the same thing on the Edmunds forums earlier this year - ppl said the same thing. I was originally interested in the Sorrento b/c of it's looks, but 1) it's a hyundai, and 2) 170 HP is a weak engine...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
samwlee said:
I posted the same thing on the Edmunds forums earlier this year - ppl said the same thing. I was originally interested in the Sorrento b/c of it's looks, but 1) it's a hyundai, and 2) 170 HP is a weak engine...
Also it's not a Murano!!!

·
4,601 Posts
What? Korean companies copying other companies designs? How unusual! :p

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Funny I always thought the KIA looked more like a smaller version of a Lexus RX300. Wasn't KIA in the top ratings for most reliable/satisfaction?

Remember you can't judge a book by its cover. The ML's interior is vastly different than the Sorrento.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
hyundai and kia have to totally upgraded since the late 80's early 90's. we used to have a hyundai santa fe and it was an absolutely amazing vehicle other than it being underpowered. but now with the new 3.3 lambda engine(230 + hp) and the 3.8 engine comming out(250+ hp) hyundai shouldn't have a problem in the power department. it took a while for the koreans to find out that cast iron blocks are heavy and VVT is key. i don't know it any of you have seen the pictures of the santa fe but it is pretty big and kinda looks like the new ML inside. hyundai is bringing on the luxury side of korean cars while the sister company kia is the more sporty youthful end. i see the korean company's starting to kick the asian car companies butts and are soon going to have the european companies running.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
I really like the exterior of KIA SORENTO...

yes it does look like the ML from the outside.

But, go inside of both cars, and you will see they are really really different. ML has a more upper class look and feel.

KIA's HP is rather small, 190HP and 217lbft torque for a 4400lb SUV translates to SLOW...;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wouldn't you say that the new ML looks like the KIA? The KIA was out long before the new ML was redesigned. I looks to me that the designers of the new ML couldn't come up with an original idea of their own so they copied the look of the KIA. If I was paying that much for the ML I wouldn't want it to be mixed up with a KIA.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ford Granada

I may be dating myself here, but does anyone remember when Ford ran ads comparing their complete pile of crap Granada to a Mercedes? It was during the late 70's, early 80's.

Even as a youngster, I knew that these ads would backfire as they were trying to take us as idiots! At that moment in time I vowed to never buy a Ford . . . and 14 cars later I still haven't!

·
4,601 Posts
patrickem said:

But isn't this one a case of the Korean vehicle being copied?
Hey, yeah, you're right! Those sneaky Germans....

It's getting hard to track all these things. Everytime someone else brings one out, I say to my wife "Look, another Murano rip-off!".

Everyone likes a good idea. Especially those people driving them!

Granada? Wasn't that invaded?;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Kia vs. ML

This had come up before about a year ago. Now the the ML is on the market it is very apparent. I like them both, probably would prefer the Mercedes only with a Kia repair bill!!!
Link to KIA vs. MERCEDES discussion from 04

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Amazing photos. Now why do we as consumers have much trust in Japanese autos and little in Korean cars? Is it psychological? I'd also love to see some resale stats as to what two similarly priced cars side by side, one Japanese and one Korean sell for 3-4-5 years down the road. The Koreans have the exterior styling down pretty good. I'm just not sure of what is under the hood.
Over to the North American front, my wife spotted a commercial for Chrysler. They were on a huge discount apparently to boost sales.
She said the Pacifica was on TV for 15 thousand and something dollars. Must have been 15,999. It's not bad looking, it's not a Murano either. I must say at half the price as a Mo, I would at least take a look-see at their crossover vehicle. Anyone ever take a test drive?
Bob1

·
4,601 Posts
I looked at the Pacifica when looking at the Murano and passed on it.

I never test drove it, as it failed other criteria I had. I was hopeful when I first saw pictures, but it disappointed me in person.

I think the biggest turn off was the three rows of seating, followed by the doors being twice as thick as the Murano's followed by the orange peel in the paint on the car at the auto show as well as at dealers.

I did like some of the interior styling. But it's not as good a performer either.

The Koreans? Look out, they're fast learners and getting better every year. I would expect them to compete with the Japanese for quality and design in short order.

·
4,601 Posts
Well it makes me feel better...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Didn't you guys know that's why DaimlerChrysler tried to get a piece of the Hyundai Group? They love their design so much, just look at the forthcoming Mercedes S-Class with a Hyundai Elantra tail.

·
4,601 Posts
Aren't they also doing something with them for the "world engine"?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Didn't you guys know that's why DaimlerChrysler tried to get a piece of the Hyundai Group? They love their design so much, just look at the forthcoming Mercedes S-Class with a Hyundai Elantra tail.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts