Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has had to replace the break pads yet.

I've got 42K on the MO, and still on the original pads (no mention yet of needing them.. however I have noticed a slight "shimmy" during heavy breaking..)

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the exact problem I have... BUT...........

from what I understand, this is "regular wear and tear" and as such, is not covered under warranty... From my past experience, I prefer to get my brakes dones somewhere other then the dealer (some place with a lifetime warranty)

I guess, I'll have to start looking around...

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Just got mine back from the dealer yesterday after they performed the brake shudder TSB. The car was out of warranty by a couple thousand miles but they covered it anyway. Basically just got the rotors relined for free. They also said they installed some sort of attachment. I was nervous because the brakes were chirping for most of the day yesterday as I drove up and down the highway, but the cyclical scraping sound was gone by late that night. Now the brakes are a little bit firmer, and there's no judder at all.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would love to replace my brake pads as soon as Porterfield comes around to making a set. I have very loud brake squeal during gentle braking, but I don't want to have the dealer tell me its wear and tear. I suspect that when the shims were installed at the factory, they did not use the anti squeal goo.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I had my pads replaced under TSB 04011 listed here

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Murano/2003/1.htm

I only have about 8K on them so no comment other than they solved my SQUEEEAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL! problem.

It took two trips (naturally) but it made me very happy!

I was so angry................
And a lot of it was directed at some numb nums here who said that all disc brakes did that. Grrrrrrr. Rookies. :)

Brakes are like tires.
It's good to get good mileage, but it's better not to get tooooooo good.
40,000 miles sounds good to me.

BTW, most brake men don't "turn" rotors anymore.
Certainly not for concentric scratches, gouges, etc.

Now "warped" rotors are a different matter.
And if you can get to them before they are too badly warped.....

One of the problems is, that the more material you remove, the easier it is for the rotors to warp...............

Rotors warp for two main reasons.....
Heat. Tow vehicles in the mountains often have this problem.
Or race cars.

and Wheels mounted using airguns by a dufus who doesn't know how to use a torque stick (Or best of all a hand operated torque wrench) and doesn't know the recomended pattern.

Of course some vehicles are more prone to the problem than others and I get the impression that our Muranos fall in that category.
Because of that, I am right there to make sure my wheels are mounted correctly.

Homer

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealer recommended me to replace front brake pads at 15000 miles

Hi there fellow murano owners. I'm just wondering at what mileage did you get your front break pads replaced? My nissan murano dealer told me that my front break pads need to be replaced. I only have 15000+ miles on it and I don't drive my murano aggressively. I'm surprised because my friend's Honda passport has 45000+ miles already and his dealer has not recommended to replace his break pads yet. Is this a rip off? My dealer told me that it is about right to replace it at 15000 miles for a big SUV.

·
5,244 Posts
50,005 miles here. Had disk turned after 15,000 or so under warranty - brake judder. Otherwise pads have been great.

If you need to replace pads after only 15,000 miles I would seriously question the quality of pads. There must be something wrong. Unless you drove the 15K on the race track! Kidding only.

Demand replacement under warranty.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jlpbong-

It sounds like your dealer is feeding you a bunch of bull. Unless you (or whoever else drives your car) are "riding the brake" or drive aggressively, 15K miles is not normal for a set of brakes.

And your dealer's statement that it is about right to replace the brakes at 15K for large SUVs is idiotic. The Murano cannot be classified as a big SUV, no matter how you look at it. And I find it hard to believe that Chevy Suburban and Ford Excursion owners are having to replace their brake pads every 15,000 miles.

-njjoe

·
Registered
145 Posts
Brake Pads replaced

My Mo has 51,000 miles on her. I started to hear the brake senor noise last week. I thought it was coming from the front so I ordered Ceramic replacement pads. The local parts store didn't have them in stock so they were special ordered. It turns out the fronts were only half worn but since I special ordered the pads I replaced them anyway. The rear pads were worn down on the inside pad and needed replacement. Interestingly the parts shop had the rear ceramic pads in stock. The front end took about 20-25 mins and the rear took 15-20 mins including roughing up the rotors. It was the easiest pad replacement I have done. I used a c-clamp to push in the caliper and everything cleaned up nice and went together perfectly. No squeaks and more peace of mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts