Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else running Michelin CrossTerrain SUV's?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Cross+Terrain+SUV

The Discount Tire folks told me this was the only tire they had in the city that was a good size replacement.. since I was heading for the mountains in a few days, I went ahead with them. They're softer - a little more bouncy on my SE, but I've already adjusted to it and forgotten.

So far I'm really really happy with how they deal with wet roads compared to the GY's new, and especially when compared to the GY's near to the wear bars. I hit some deep water on the freeway during a heavy rain on Friday.. I was expecting the steering wheel to get light and squirrelly like with the GY's, but it was rock solid reassuring me there was firm road contact.

They're monsters at 275/55SR18.. the wider footprint and semi-aggressive looking tread at the edge is (in my opinion) a nice look for the MO.

·
5,244 Posts
Problem is there is no suitable size for Murano.....

·
Registered
717 Posts
Agreed, the 275's are going to be huge and I suspect a serious drag on fuel economy. They do however have very nearly the perfect overall diameter for a replacement.

·
5,244 Posts
265 are too wide, IMHO. They stick out just a bit too much for my liking. Also they have tendency to “sand” the sides of the car. And I do not like it…

Honestly we do not have many choices now.

Again, just my 2c…..

·
Registered
128 Posts
My dad had those on his old LandCruiser FJ80.

However that beast is full time AWD so it would probably handle well regardless of tires. I did like them though...

·
4,601 Posts
Post a picture of them on, when you get a chance.. I'm curious to see how they look.

I keep looking at options, and end up back at the OEM GoodYears for one reason or another. While I believe they'd be wider than I would like, according to 1010tires calculator, the diameter is fine and the Murano rims can just take them, being at 7.5 inches.

I'd like to know if you have any clearance issues as well...

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pics of 275's

Let me know if the images don't give you what you're looking for and I can try some different angels/lighting..
1/3

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pics of 275's

MO's a little dirty after a trip to the snow early in the week, but the tires felt great on the mountain roads.. never noticed any rubbing or anything else even with all of the potholes on the 30/330 up to Big Bear Lakes..

Kris, what do you mean by "sand" the sides of the car? Just increased road-dirt leaving the tires and hitting the car, or... Curious to understand so I know if there is something to watch out for..

3/3

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
"Kris, what do you mean by "sand" the sides of the car? Just increased road-dirt leaving the tires and hitting the car, or... Curious to understand so I know if there is something to watch out for.."

In the snow belt, the local governments use either salt or sand or a salt sand mixture liberally spread on the roads for anywhere from 3-6 months to increase traction on snow and ice covered roads.

Tires that are wider than the fender wells (the 275's certainly look like they'd qualify) will throw up this salt/sand and quickly "sand" the paint around the wheel wells and further up the body.

I think that's why most of us, who have to deal with salt/sand are staying with 235-265mm widths on tires. Problem is that there are very few if any choices that provide the same overall diameter (~30") to maintain the accuracy of the speedometer and the effectiveness of the dynamic control feature.

·
5,244 Posts
dklanecky1

you nailed it! This is exactly what I meant.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pics do a poor job of showing it, but the tires are actually inside the wheel-wells.. On the lower parts of the mo where the body curves inward, they definitely stick out past the body - but so do the rims, and I'm fairly certian that the tires didn't change the rim offset :)

I'll try and get some better angles on the tires later when the car's not cramped in the garage

1 - 13 of 13 Posts