Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CLick here..

They are selling F18A jet fighter in ebay.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Come on... how can that be... an active military jet still widely used for sale.... I don't think so... some ain't right here......

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think its actually legit, as it was featured on various news sites. I do think however, there would be severe restrictions on who can buy the jet, and even more restrictions on who can actually fly it! I am also sure they will strip it of secret military technology if they let a civilian purchase it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Exactly. I'm in the Air Force and the same rules would apply to a local U.S. consumer, as would another nation buying this aircraft--it would be stripped of all avionics. The radar on the F/A-18 is one of the most advanced to date, setting aside the F/A-22 Raptor radar, which is in a league of its own to begin with. When the Air Force sells F-16's to Israel, they are so called "Block 60's", which is the latest model, but it is really just an A model with beefed up structural supports. This is most likely the same. Whoever buys this is in for a huge dent in operating costs. I think the last time I saw the average cost to fly an aircraft per hour is somewhere around $150,000. Thats including fuel, maintenance, and repairs. I specialize in fuel systems. This aircraft has one screwed up fuel system because there are 4 bladders in the fuselage that are self-sealing, meaning they seal themselves up when punctured with ammunition up to 20mm in size. The only problem with this is that they are extremely difficult to manufacture (Costs a buttload), and you cannot patch them, like a normal bladder.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Thanks Dookie! I learned something new today! :29:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, there was an aircraft carrier on ebay too, few days back. Would have made a nice combination with the F-18.

What is next, countries for sale on ebay.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I remember one time seeing ebay for sale on ebay. Unfortunately that auction only lasted a day or so before they took it down!
:2:

·
Registered
255 Posts
From what I understand, the F-18's used by the Angel's have most of the non-esential electronics like radar stripped out when they are used by the Blue Angels. So a Blue Angel F-18 will not have all of the equipment that war-ready F-18 has. I used to do contract work for the Navy and did some work on some flight debrief systems and this is what I was told.

The same guy is also selling some MIG-29's at the bottom of the page for 3.5 Million.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts