Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MO is due for it's second oil change, and I am considering going synthetic. I know the basics, like less heat and less engine wear, but what are some of the other pros and cons of synthetic oil. Is it really worth the extra money? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
522 Posts
There are endless rants about synth vs. dyno oil, just do a google search and be done with it.

IMHO, synth will make the engine last long and I plan to keep my Mo for a long time, plus I got a good 1MPG better mileage to boot.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
The only con I've ever heard about syn that I believe is the cost.

I've been using it since my first oil change, and I now have over 32,000 miles on my M-O.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Personally I waited until my second change at 10K to switch to synth to make sure the motor was well broken in, but oh well, doubtful to make any big diff, YMMV.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I use valvoline synpower since my 2nd oil change..

Not that i dont like mobil 1, the brand of most synthetic oil user will go to, but i just wanna switch brand after using mobil 1 for 60K miles times two cars :p

My dad is a big fan of valvoline, so i guess i give its synthetic product line a try. So far, not bad: smooth ride , gain 1 or 2 mpg, a bit more response etc. Exactly the same feeling i get when i use mobil1.

This maybe plasebo, so i might be bias.
But i do not sense any 'degradation' to the ride if you switch to synthetic early.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Synthetic here.... Speaking of oil, I played Latrobe CC a few weeks ago.. I sat on THE TRACTOR! I opened up the little box next to the drivers seat, and sure enough... a quart of Pennsoil. Love ya Arnie

·
Registered
27 Posts
My personal experience with synthetic oil is great. Switching to synthetic on a brand new car will go unnoticed. However, switching an old car to synthetic will be much noticed.
Definitely, synthetic will extend the life of your engine since it is engineered to lubricate better than regular oil and to protect certain components.
On the long run, it is worth the expense.
The average oil change (with regular oil) on a shop cost the same as a box of synthetic in any auto store. . If you pay for service learn how to do it yourself. It will save you a lot, money you can spend on synthetic oil.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Not to mention that synthetic holds up better in certain ways, so when I have to stretch my change interval out to a max of 4800 miles from time to time, I don't feel so bad. I usually change at the recommended 3750 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I think it is at the extremes of temps that you understand the benifits of synthetic. It flows the same at all temps. Not to mention syn oils cling better for cold start lubrication. The film strength is also a huge benifit--thats why you can go so much longer on change intervals.
It ain't nothin magic, it is just pure technology.

·
5,268 Posts
Mobil1 here as well. Since 2nd oil change. I do it myself.

Synthetic has much better lubricating properties in extreme temperatures, both cold and hot. And as previous posters mentioned, it lubricates during the cold starts thus preventing engine wear. The extra price is well worth the money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use Quaker State synthetic. Sometimes it's hard to find. It costs less than Mobil 1 was why I went that way.

Started with the 2nd oil change.

It seems to stay clean longer.

My computer mileage almost always reads 22.3 mpg.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Synthetic

From the posts I've read it appears that most of you have waited until the second oil change to make the switch. I guess that will be my game plan. I plan on keeping this vehicle for a while because by the time it's paid off I'll have kids going to college and I know I won't be able to get a new one then.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I switched to Mobil One at the 6000 mile mark on the Murano, and will continue to use it for the lifetime of the vehicle.

I've used Mobil One in my 97 Maxima since 40,000 miles and this past week I took a 2000 mile roadtrip in it. For a 100,000 mile car, I got 28-30mpg driving the car VERY hard through the twisties and up mountain grades.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I switched at the second oil change (7500 miles) and my mpg increased from about 18.8 to 20.2. If ya figure that out it's about 28 miles per tank and about 12 tanks or so per oil change, at 2.50 per gallon my guestimate is probably $40 per oil change saved in gas so really on that alone it pays for itself...

·
Registered
78 Posts
3500 miles on my MO and I went Synthetic. (mobil 1). The cost from the dealer to change the oil was 52 bucks. Twice the amount of a regular earl change. (yes, earl) Anyway... My mechanic said... Synthetic and that's why I switched. All I needed to hear.... But I will be doing them myself from now on because of the cost. But doing them at the dealer has some advantages... record keeping of the times you had service for when you sell...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I checked on this very subject with my dealer the other day. The service guy said" By all means switch to synthetic if you wish, but we'd prefer that you wait until either the 12,000km or 18,000km service intervals to be sure everything is broken in. "

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I had my oil changed the other day. Instead of going full synthetic I went with a synthetic blend, kind of a 50/50 type of thing.
My service man told me it was still much better for MO than regular oil, and it was still about $15 cheaper. so until I either get to a higher mileage, or get around to doing it myself, thats probably what I'll use for a while. Thanks for all the replys and opinions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you want to save money and use sythnetic oil (i.e. Mobil 1), don't get your oil changed at Jiffy Lube, instead buy the oil at Costco or Walmart and have the dealer do your oil changes. Jiffy Lube charged me $95 for a Mobil 1 change. My Nissan dealer charges me $25 for the oil change (and they even deduct the cost of their oil) and I buy the Mobil 1 at Walmart for $18 for 5 qts. so it is a grand total of $43.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Chevron Quick Stop places only charge $55 for a Mobil 1 change.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I bought my own valvoline synpower and have my dealer

do the oil change for me. They charged me labor and oem filter for $15.50, i recall.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts