Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the answer is probably no but wanted to ask if anybody has done anything. My 2007 seems to get 18 around town which isn't bad but only 19.5 on the hwy.
I make a lot of trips back and forth and just curious.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
How many miles?

What are your RPMS when cruising @ 60 MPH?

Have you scanned for error codes?

I recommend the Android app CVTz50, it can scan for both engine and CVT related error codes:

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD
393 Posts
Funny you should ask, since I was going to post about this... Using STP High Mileage fuel additive, my city MPG went from 16 to 20 over the course of six months. About three months ago, I couldn't find the 2-pack for $3.18, so I stopped using it, and my MPG dropped to 17.1. After finding it again about a month ago, my city MPG climbed to 19.5 in less than a month. My highway is 24.2, going as high as 25.1 if driving very conservatively. I use cruise control the majority of the time, even in city-type environments when I can, so I'm sure that also helps with MPG. GIven the iffy CATS, I'm really surprised MO has done so well. I started using that STP additive around 2015, when my MPG was very low at I think 19/15.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Apple phone so can't use that app but I do have a tool and there are no codes. Not sure on RPM but will check next week when I travel again.
I bought the car form my dad and he always said it got better MPG with premium but wasn't worth the price..Still not sure why 89 was 10 cents more and 93 was 20 cents more and now all of a sudden it's 60 cents more a gallon !!
I haven't tried STP but did just run a bottle of Lucas complete cleaner through it and it was having issues starting, seemed like a leaking injector, but has got better so maybe it will get better mileage.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
How many miles? How old are your spark plugs? Make sure your engine air cleaner is clean, and inspect your engine air intake duct for cracks in the folds.

Many code readers cannot read Nissan CVT TCM error codes, do you know if the one you used can? That's the nice thing about CVTz50, it can. You can buy a used or new Android for very little money to use with CVTz50. It doesn't need to be activated, just use it with Wi-Fi.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a 2007 around 106K..My dad had the plugs changed by Nissan around 90K..I did also just change the air cleaner but didn't look too bad and will look for cracks..
I did a tranny flush last month and just replaced the radiator ( the plastic top had cracked)

What should it get on the hwy running 75-80? Seems to get around 18 in town and last trip got 20 on the hwy. I am heading out again next week and can see if the new air filter and injector cleaner helped.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Its a 2007 around 106K..My dad had the plugs changed by Nissan around 90K..I did also just change the air cleaner but didn't look too bad and will look for cracks..
I did a tranny flush last month and just replaced the radiator ( the plastic top had cracked)

What should it get on the hwy running 75-80? Seems to get around 18 in town and last trip got 20 on the hwy. I am heading out again next week and can see if the new air filter and injector cleaner helped.

Thanks!!
Your in town MPG looks good, that's about what I with my '03. Your highway MPG should be in the ~mid 20s at 75-80...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a tank of Premium from Costco today, was only 20 cents more a gallon then I paid for 87 around the house..I have to say it runs a lot better..Wasn't expecting it to so not the normal " wanna fell faster" It more responsive for sure. before if you floored it at a light it felt like a turd, now actually goes.
I won't pay the normal 50 cents a gallon more but is interesting.

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD
393 Posts
I know for sure that my MO runs much better on 93 octane. Except for maybe four months back in 2015 or 2016, I've primarily used only 93 octane since 2003. When I moved and decided not to drive aggressively anymore, I switched to 87 octane for a few months, and the engine started pinging and rattling. That's when I started using the STP additive. It was around that time that my CATs started giving me problems and I began using lacquer thinner in the fuel, as well going back to 93. A few times this year I tried I think 89, and acceleration and peppiness went away. MO likes the good stuff. :) For my next vehicle, I'm going to get it used to 87. :)

Incidentally, MO didn't like Costco's gas or B.J's Wholesale gas. And the few times I used Sunoco out west, MO would throw an EVAP code within a couple of days. For the past four years, I've gotten Walmart 93 octane. I think it's about 3.29 a gallon right now. At many gas stations, 91 is the highest they carry.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny you should ask, since I was going to post about this... Using STP High Mileage fuel additive, my city MPG went from 16 to 20 over the course of six months. About three months ago, I couldn't find the 2-pack for $3.18, so I stopped using it, and my MPG dropped to 17.1. After finding it again about a month ago, my city MPG climbed to 19.5 in less than a month. My highway is 24.2, going as high as 25.1 if driving very conservatively. I use cruise control the majority of the time, even in city-type environments when I can, so I'm sure that also helps with MPG. GIven the iffy CATS, I'm really surprised MO has done so well. I started using that STP additive around 2015, when my MPG was very low at I think 19/15.
I was looking online, our walmart has the 2 pack..for $3 might give it a try..I used to add Lucas fuel treatment, the small bottle, in my Mercedes and it got better mileage. I think Walmart sells a knock off that "looks" the same.
Also talking about MMO my use to run it in his 351 CobraJet and swore it ran better with it :)

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
The only gas additive I normally use is Techron. I use it in our cars about once a year each.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
211 Posts
I usually clean the throttle body and replace the gasket if I notice the MPG is getting less and less depending on mileage. Also, air filter replace and MAF sensor cleaning. Those bottles of fuel injector cleaner are ok but nothing like have a cleaning service done on the fuel injectors. They run a fluid through them without the gas pump line running to the fuel rails. Tire pressure, keep an eye on that. Regular tune ups. Even driving on the interstate at 70mph for 2 hours can help clean the fuel system if you normally get most of your mileage in the city. Check for codes and fuel trims. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts