Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been mulling over my manual and found under the LAN System (pg. LAN-8) there are 16 types of CAN Systems...Now, is the CPU different for each CAN System? The reason why I believe this is that you have a choice of Axle, Brake Control, Low Tire Warning, Navi, and Auto drive positioner. Then The types of CAN is listed...The reason I wanted to know is because of my Navi install. I believe the reason why I don't have the AV/AC switches on the Navi display is because of a different type of CAN System.

I tried talking to the dealer, but they don't seem to know what the CAN system is!? I'll try another dealer to find someone who knows more about the CAN System.

If anyone can help me, let me know.

WiL

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How to tell what type of CAN System you have

CAN (Controller Area Network) 2 line high data connection on the Murano, CAN H line & CAN L line.

LEGEND
2wd: 2 Wheel Drive (Axle)
awd: All Wheel Drive (Axle)
abs: Anti-Lock Brakes (Brake Control)
vdc: Vehicle Dynamic Control (Brake Control)
ltpw: Low Tire Pressure Warning system
navi: Navigation System
adp: Automatic Drive Positioner

CAN TYPES
2wd, abs: can1
2wd, abs, navi: can2
2wd, abs, adp: can3
2wd, abs, navi, adp: can4
2wd, vdc, ltpw: can5
2wd, vdc, ltpw, navi: can6
2wd, vdc, ltpw, adp: can7
2wd, vdc, ltpw, navi, adp: can8
awd, abs: can9
awd, abs, navi: can10
awd, abs, adp: can11
awd, abs, navi, adp: can12
awd, vdc, ltpw: can13
awd, vdc, ltpw, navi: can14
awd, vdc, ltpw, adp: can15
awd, vdc, ltpw, navi, adp: can16

i.e., my Murano has: 2wd, abs, adp…I have CAN system type 3. I now have 2wd, abs, navi, adp…I need to use CAN system type 4…SO, is there a different CPU in the IPDM for each type of CAN System?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is it a question of different ECU/Network, or is it a matter of differnet "software" that earns the "tyoe" label?

I am a newbie, and did a search, but didn't find this addressed before. Forgive me if I didn't massage the search parameters enough.

On the car I just traded in on my Murano, I had done a lot of research on the computer system. I found that the computer could address a number of controllers (in that case 39), and the communications bus could span over 10 meters of wire harness and 3 meters of external connection via tha diagnostic link.

If a similar system is used in the Murano,, the CAN type could refer to the controller makeup of the different systems that are networked to the actual computer (ECU).

Is it possible that the ECU may need to be "flashed" by the dealer before it will recognize a new addition?

I am going to try to do the 24 hour subscrioption and download the service manual, which may be an exercise in futility with a dial-up account. Consequently, I am only guessing - since I have no real reference to base my WAG on this subject.

·
5,244 Posts
It would be very unlikely that each CAN would require different CPU. I believe that there is only one CPU type and various software configuratios to deal with additional inputs/outputs ......

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
BINGO !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts