Nissan Murano Forum banner

Auto Climate Control

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Snopes 
The auto mode starts on feet for you because its probably cold weather for you - the feet setting is most efficient for heating the car since warm air rises. If its a hot day, for example, the auto mode will default on the face setting. Once the interior heats up or cools down enough to be close to your desired temperature, the setting will default into the bilevel mode (face and foot).

Halo said:
The stupidest thing (IMO) is that in AUTO mode the AC compressor is constantly running unless you disable it. At first I assumed the light on the AC switch when AUTO is selected just meant that the system would turn on the compressor when it needed it... but no. It will run constantly. So, think about it, if it's 50F out and you have the interior temp set to 72, the system draws in 50F air, cools it (with the always-on AC compressor) and then heats it again to try to get to your selected temp. LOL.

The manual tries to make sense of this by stating that the AC is drying the air. I usually run it in AUTO but immediately hit the AC switch to disable it.

Yes that is exactly what I have noticed as well - in auto mode with the AC engaged, the compressor is on constantly. Looking at the shop manual - the Murano has a fixed capacity compressor, which means unlike other vehicles which have variable capacity compressors, the AC system does not go into a "reduced" mode when the air is already cooled.

Exactly, there should be no reason. However, on a freezing evening, I start the car and push auto. I hear the AC compressor engaging. Now its just as cold inside the car as outside, why does the AC engage? Lousy design by Nissan if you ask me. I manually turn off the AC when I want just heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.