Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see anything in the owners manual but I just noticed this during the past two days.

I have the heating set on Auto.... its been cold so the MO has been pumping heat to the floor. I looked at the heating system mode display only to find that the MO decided to then place the system into defrost and floor around 7°F.

Any ideas why... and why not right away? It was about the same temp the entire drive and made the mode change after about 20 minutes.

Odd.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Sounds like an "Engineer" made some decisions when he programed the system, as to saving warmth for the engine, your feet, the windshield, etc. and your body. Hope he suited your preferences? Probable hard to do unless you get to experience the real conditions personally.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Grip is correct. Once your interior temp reaches the desired setting, the auto climate control will switch to defrost/floor for heating and to keep the windshield clear.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I have a smoker friend who rides with me sometimes. To accomodate him, I roll down one of the windows a little bit and then take the system off auto and have the fan blow from the foot vent at max blast, with the idea that it will "scoop" the bad air and clear it through the window that is open. That works beautifully except that after a while, I guess when it reaches the temp setting on the display, it "automatically" switches the mode from foot to foot+middle vents! I then have to scramble to switch the mode back to foot level to keep the smoke from being blown into the back of the car. This is interesting because I have the auto setting off yet it still does that. :3: Go figure!

·
5,100 Posts
Maybe the "Engineer" was a smoker and didn't think of that. :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Can't use the "auto" mode in a cold climate because of the default to floor outlet ....you need air circulation immediately to windshield or visability "goes away" quickly....

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yes but even on defog (which is manual) sometimes after a long drive (after the interior temperature has reached the setting specified) the climate control will go back to auto mode in either the bilevel (face and feet) or heat/defrost (windshield and feet) modes. Strange!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I set mine to auto, then press mode until it picks Defrost/Floor. This forces the system to always use that setting but the fan speed is still controlled automatically to maintain the desired temperature. The auto light is off. It was the same way on the previous 2 Maxima's I had.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yes but after a LONG time in defrost mode, it will switch back to auto even if you do not want it to. I found this out on a long drive, after about an hour in defog (and the cabin was all warmed up) the climate control suddenly changes back to auto. I get annoyed at it and switch it back to manual defog.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
sctb1 said:
I set mine to auto, then press mode until it picks Defrost/Floor. This forces the system to always use that setting but the fan speed is still controlled automatically to maintain the desired temperature. The auto light is off. It was the same way on the previous 2 Maxima's I had.
So even when the auto light is off it is still on auto? I manually change the fan speed and the mode and it still switches on me when it wants to! I guess there is no "manual" mode at all. So why do we even have the "auto" switch?

The engineer must have been a "heavy smoker". :4:

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have a simple solution, don't let anyone smoke in your car!

its my standing rule, no one and i mean NO ONE smokes in my car.
hell i almost got into a fight with a friends dad who i was giving a ride. he kept insisting it would be fine, i insisted he didn't smoke.
finally i pulled over and said if he had to smoke so bad, he could
get out, smoke, and then get back in and we would continue.
Since it was freezing outside, and all, he gave up.

I cannot believe how stubborn people are about that.

Stupid smokers.

-Nick

zebelkhan said:
I have a smoker friend who rides with me sometimes. To accomodate him, I roll down one of the windows a little bit and then take the system off auto and have the fan blow from the foot vent at max blast, with the idea that it will "scoop" the bad air and clear it through the window that is open. That works beautifully except that after a while, I guess when it reaches the temp setting on the display, it "automatically" switches the mode from foot to foot+middle vents! I then have to scramble to switch the mode back to foot level to keep the smoke from being blown into the back of the car. This is interesting because I have the auto setting off yet it still does that. :3: Go figure!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Well, many people I know with real brains are smokers so they can't be stupid. Crazy...perhaps, but not stupid!

Getting back to the original issue though, is there any way to keep the auto feature from coming on?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think all I do is hit the mode button to change to manual mode. My Mo seems to start up in the state I left it. Have your tried that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think as soon as you set the fan speed it sticks with that and auto is off.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yes its possible to use manual mode for an extended period. However, I have found when heating, once the cabin reaches the desired temperature, the system switches from manual to auto, even if you do not want it to.

Those who live in warmer climates may never experience this quirk.

·
5,100 Posts
Another reason to :D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eric L. said:
Yes its possible to use manual mode for an extended period. However, I have found when heating, once the cabin reaches the desired temperature, the system switches from manual to auto, even if you do not want it to.

Those who live in warmer climates may never experience this quirk.
Odd I've never seen that.

Here is something to remember.....

Think of auto as "full auto" meaning when in auto it will control fan speed AND vent selector. If you move either one yourself it comes out of auto... (full auto) but will still continue to control the other mode that was not touched. If you manually select fan speed and vent selector than it will always stay there and it will NOT over ride that.

Make sense?

:4:

·
5,100 Posts
Not address particularly to me , but make sense to me. It is basically the way I get auto temp but blowing where I want .

1 - 20 of 43 Posts