Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this can be done or not, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I generally drive with my headlights set to auto. I find it much more convenient than having to remember to turn them on or off. However, in my opinion, or at least for my likes, I feel the setting is such that the lights don't come on early enough.

So my question is, is there a way to change this to make it so the lights will come on earlier in the day. I generally like them on on days like we had today, overcase with grey skies and light snow. But the default setting won't turn them on on these days because there's still too much light reaching the sensor.

·
4,664 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing. While I haven't tried it, I was thinking some window tint applied directly over the sensor window on the dash would alter what light level it turns on at...

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you press the Settings button and then choose Vehicle Electronic Systems on the menu, you can scroll down to where it says Headlight Sensitivity (or something to that effect) and adjust it. Or did you do that and it still isn't sensitive enough?

Regards,
Chuck Lane

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Chuck,
I think that must be something on the 2004 model that isnt on the 2003 model. I have the nav sys and dont see that where you say it is.

·
4,664 Posts
Don't have that on my '03 either...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
This is an adjustable option on 2004's. However, the dealer can program the sensitivity of the light sensor using their Consult II on 2003 Muranos.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Eric. I'll be bringing my Murano in for the 7500 mile service in the next few weeks. I'll ask them to do that for me. Hope they don't charge me since it's such a small thing.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
No they will not charge you since its an "adjustment" under the 1 year 12,000 mile adjustment period (during which you can also get a free wheel alignment from the dealer).

I believe the sensor has several settings, ranging from very sensitive, sensitive, normal, insensitive (or something like that). Personally I think setting the auto headlights to be very sensitive is a bad idea because it will turn on the HIDs if you pass under a freeway overpass or enter a tunnel - and its a bad idea to cycle the HIDs so quickly.

In fact I had a problem with the system when I would arrive home, with the headlights on the on setting. When I turned it off, it would go past the auto setting, causing the HIDs to turn off, and on, then off again as it passed auto. Kind of annoying and it can't be good for the life of the HID system. So now I use auto at night whenever I can to avoid "cycling" the HIDs in my garage when I get home.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I agree leave sensitivity where it is presently at and just place something thin over the sensor. I have been meaning to do the same as I also think they don't come on early enough.

I did have the dealer adjust the "off time". I wanted to lights to turn off as soon as the car was locked. Mine came from the factory with a 60 second delay (if I recall correctly).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gonzo said:
I agree leave sensitivity where it is presently at and just place something thin over the sensor. I have been meaning to do the same as I also think they don't come on early enough.

I did have the dealer adjust the "off time". I wanted to lights to turn off as soon as the car was locked. Mine came from the factory with a 60 second delay (if I recall correctly).

(At least on my '04) You can set the lights-off delay as well via on-screen setup. Shortest is 30 seconds (which is what mine are set at). Not sure if it can be tweaked lower via Consult II....

FYI,

Yazi

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I don't mind the sensitivity of my current setting as far as darkness goes. BUT, I would like to have the headlights wait a few more seconds before coming on.

For example, as soon as I pull in the garage, the lights come on (maybe a 3 second delay). Even an underpass in traffic has turned the lights on. Does anyone know if the delay be set for say 15-20 seconds?

·
4,664 Posts
I wonder if the firmware can be updated on the '03...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Not sure if the programming possibilities are the same or not but here's a list of what the G35 can have adjusted!
Infiniti G35 Programming Possibilities:

Door Lock/Unlock (with single click on keyfob)
Mode 1: Unlock left front door only
Mode 2: Unlock all doors

Anti-lock Out (prevents locking keys in car)
Mode 1: Master door lock switch can activate door locks w/ key in ignition
Mode 2: Master door lock switch cannot activate door locks w/ key in ignition

Dome Lamp Timer
Mode 1: Interior lamp comes on when left front door is unlocked
Mode 2: Interior lamp does not come on when left front door is unlocked

Retained Power (Amount of time windows and sunroof will operate after turning off ignition)
Mode 1: 45 seconds
Mode 2: No delay (Will not operate after ignition key is turned off)
Mode 3: 2 minutes

Auto Light On (headlights turn on as it gets dark)
Mode 1: Factory setting
Mode 2: Lights come on sooner than factory setting
Mode 3: Lights come on later than factor setting
Mode 4: Lights come on later than Mode 3

Head Light Battery Saver (applies when headlights left in “on” position, not in “auto.”
Mode 1: Shuts lamps off after 5 minutes
Mode 2: No time delay (headlights turn off immediately)

Headlamp Illumination delay (time headlights remain on after exiting car when headlight is in the “auto” position)
Mode 1: 45 seconds
Mode 2: No Delay (lights turn off immediately)
Mode 3: 30 Seconds
Mode 4: 1 minute
Mode 5: 1 ½ minutes
Mode 6: 2 minutes
Mode 7: 2 ½ minutes
Mode 8: 3 minutes

Hazard and Horn Reminder Mode (key fob allows you to choose between modes 1 & 2, but there are 4 others)
Mode 1 (C Mode): Lock = 2 flash, 1 horn /// Unlock = 1 flash, 0 horn
Mode 2 (S Mode): Lock = 2 flash, 0 horn /// Unlock = 0 flash, 0 horn
Mode 3: Lock = 0 flash, 0 horn /// Unlock = 0 flash, 0 horn
Mode 4: Lock = 2 flash, 0 horn /// Unlock = 1 flash, 0 horn
Mode 5: Lock = 2 flash, 1 horn /// Unlock = 0 flash, 0 horn
Mode 6: Lock = 0 flash, 1 horn /// Unlock = 1 flash, 0 horn

Remote Auto Locking Function Mode (Doors automatically lock after exiting car)
Mode 1: 5 minute delay
Mode 2: Function disabled
Mode 3: 1 minute delay

Remote Panic Alarm Operation Mode (activates when button on keyfob held for approx. __)
Mode 1: .5 seconds
Mode 3: 1.5 seconds

Remote Trunk Open Operation Mode (activates when button on keyfob held for approx. __)
Mode 1: .5 seconds
Mode 3: 1.5 seconds

Remote Power Window Down Operation Mode (activates when button on keyfob held for approx. __)
Mode 1: 3 seconds
Mode 3: 5 seconds

1 - 15 of 15 Posts