Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you leave your lights in "auto" mode?

I have always done the manual thing. I tend to turn the lights onto auto and then shut them off when I park.

I bring this up because recently I have noticed vehicles with no rear lights only to discover that their front lights are on or their daytime running lights are on. In the city there is often enough light at night that you can forget to turn on your lights.

Anyway, I'm curious as to the pros and cons about "auto", in particular how battery life is affected, especially in a cold climate like Edmonton.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I am not familiar with which lights on the Murano are on when the DRL's are on, since I have a US Murano.

However, what I find most annoying about the auto headlights is that I also manually turn on my lights, and when I pull into my garage at night, when turning off my HID headlights, the switch turns past the auto position from parking lights, causing the HIDs to momentary fire up again before turning off (switching from ON -> PARKING -> AUTO -> OFF).

From my understanding, what kills HID bulbs is how many times you turn them on and off, not how long they are left on (think fluorescent light bulb).

So, if I start my car at night, I turn on the lights by just turning from OFF to AUTO, to avoid the horrible switch design. If I need to turn on my headlights in bad weather during daylight, I bite my tongue and use the ON position.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have always used the AUTO position on both my Maxima and Murano. Sometimes on the Maxima I would need to switch it to ON in a rain storm. But with the sensitivity setting in the Murano I have never had to moved the switch from AUTO. Just when I think that I might have to flick to ON, on the lights come. I think I changed the sensitivity one step more sensitive than how it came.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Eric, do you *always* turn your lights on manually, or just during inclement weather? If always, why? Are you in Canada or do you just prefer the style and safety of daytime running lights? One thing I like about my wife's Sonata is that the headlights go out when you turn the car off, so she can leave them on all the time and they only come on and off with the car.

I'd bet that if you turned your car off when parking in the garage *before* turning off the lights when you turned them on manually, that they won't fire up as you go past AUTO to OFF. I'm just about willing to bet a beer that that will do the trick for you. Turn the car off, then turn off the headlights. Yes, you'll get the headlight alarm for a split second, but you'll have to deal with one or the other.. the annoying alarm or the annoyance of that flash of light as they fire for a split second.

Give it a shot and let me know.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Only during inclement weather its not dark enough for the auto setting to turn on the lights, so I use the manual ON setting. When its dark, I turn on the lights using AUTO (from OFF).

I think DRLs are a good idea, but I do not want to use up the life of my HID bulbs since they are quite expensive so I don't turn on the lights all the time.

I will give your trick a shot tonight, but I am pretty sure even with the engine off, the AUTO function will still turn on the lights, since my garage is dark enough when I get home to trigger the AUTO lights on. That little light on the garage door opener doesn't quite approximate to daylight...

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Eric L. said:
I will give your trick a shot tonight, but I am pretty sure even with the engine off, the AUTO function will still turn on the lights
The lights better not come on in AUTO mode with the engine off! That kinda defeats the purpose of leaving it in AUTO mode for weeks or months on end. HOWEVER, since the lights do stay on for several seconds after turning the car off only if they came on in AUTO mode, it would be interesting to see whether or not the AUTO mode "keep the lights on" timer actually kicks off when you turn the car off with the lights not in AUTO mode... hmmmm.... now where's that popcorn emoticon... oh yeah..

:lurk:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I am fairly certain that with the engine off, OFF -> AUTO will turn on the headlights. I might be wrong, I guess I will check tonight.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Hey it worked!

Thanks Eastern.
I too was bugged by the "flashing" in the garage.

But as you say, turn the car off first and no flash.

Good deal.

Homer

now if I can just untrain/retrain myself.........:rolleyes:

·
4,664 Posts
david_brown14 said:
I have always used the AUTO position on both my Maxima and Murano. Sometimes on the Maxima I would need to switch it to ON in a rain storm. But with the sensitivity setting in the Murano I have never had to moved the switch from AUTO. Just when I think that I might have to flick to ON, on the lights come. I think I changed the sensitivity one step more sensitive than how it came.
Makes me wish I had an '04, as the '03's don't have the sensitivity setting.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I have the sensitivity setting and to keep the lights from coming on when going under the highway bridges I had to set it at its lowest setting which seem to work best at dawn or dusk anyway. However, that setting is not sensitive enough to come on when there is cloud cover or rain. I have to manually turn them on.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
EasternPA - your trick worked! No more annoying AUTO headlight HID flash! Woohoo!!! I love this message board! :D

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Eric and Homer.. glad it worked guys.

Now if only there was a setting that turned the lights on when the wipers get turned on... "wipers on -> lights on" is a law in a number of states, and invariably in inclement weather, like today's commute into NYC, not enough people comply. I'm still jealous of my friend's Trailblazer's rain sensor (and Onstar) :(

Oh, and Homer, I may come looking for that beer as my family is planning a Florida trip for New Years which may include a jaunt to Sarasota (Rotonda West) ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I could see where auto on lights with wiper activation would be great. Way to many people forget about the lights in inclimate weather during the daytime. As long as it was time delayed by a couple of minutes of wiper use and to shut off after you shut down the wipers it would be great. Would'nt want my lights coming on every time I cleaned my windshield with a couple of strokes.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Snowride said:
Would'nt want my lights coming on every time I cleaned my windshield with a couple of strokes.
True, or to link it only with actually turning the wipers on, not the temporary activation.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I agree it is a good feature, perhaps linked with the AUTO headlight setting. I for one always turn on my lights during bad weather, so I do not want my HID's turning on temporarily during a short rain shower on a sunny day.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Eric L. said:
However, what I find most annoying about the auto headlights is that I also manually turn on my lights, and when I pull into my garage at night, when turning off my HID headlights, the switch turns past the auto position from parking lights, causing the HIDs to momentary fire up again before turning off (switching from ON -> PARKING -> AUTO -> OFF).
:werd:

I hated seeing my HIDs flash through a cyle of on-off when I turn them off manually. So, I just defeated the auto feature by covering up the light sensor. Now, my 'auto' is the manual 'on' position. I really think this was a design flaw... I would have made it

AUTO<- OFF -> PARKING -> LOW BEAM

This way AUTO is in a different direction from manual operation.

·
Registered
719 Posts
jaak said:

Makes me wish I had an '04, as the '03's don't have the sensitivity setting.
Jaak, it is adjustable through the infamous Consult Tool, check out page LT-175. Four settings, Normal, Sensitive, Desensitized, and Insensitive.

Sounds like an argument I got into with the wife on day:eek:

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, I know it's adjustable through the consult tool, but I'm not going to buy one for the convenience of being able to set it when I feel like it.

I have thought about cutting out a circle of window tint, as that would work as well, when placed over the sensor.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I guess I am looking at this backward. Doesn't reducing the light to the light sensor make it think it's dark or darker and therfor turns on the lights easier or is that what you want to do make the Auto an on position? GRIP :D I sure do agree with Halo the switch needs to be redesigned.

·
4,664 Posts
The law here in Ontario is lights on half an hour before sunset and half an hour after sunrise. I find the Murano's not quite there, so making it think it's darker would satisfy what I want.

Since I don't have HIDs (Sniff, sniff.) I don't care if they come on under bridges, in tunnels, etc. and actually want that for visibility, especially on a sunny day. I've seen it happen in downtown Toronto, where you drive into a tunnel to find traffic's stopped. That can be fun going from sunshine to tunnel lighting, as there's a split second where you're effectively blinded as your eyes adjust. Anything that makes me more visible is good. Wouldn't want the guy behind me to sail into my back end.

Even if I had HID's I'd still rather replace them early, than replace the whole rear end of the Murano.:eek:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts