Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MO came with "AutoMate Paint Protectant". It's something they put on the care and then gurantee that the paint won't fade or something. It was a $300 item on the bill. Luckily, I refused to close the deal until they took the charge off. I thought it was a bunch of baloney.

It turns out I still have the protection package. I got a mailing that said my AutoMate recoating is due now. It's done every six months. If I don't get it done, I lose the protection package.

Is this worth the effort?? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
if you take car of your mo and wax and polish it yourself, there is no need for the paint protection

·
Registered
631 Posts
PaulQ said:
My MO came with "AutoMate Paint Protectant". It's something they put on the care and then gurantee that the paint won't fade or something. It was a $300 item on the bill. Luckily, I refused to close the deal until they took the charge off. I thought it was a bunch of baloney.

It turns out I still have the protection package. I got a mailing that said my AutoMate recoating is due now. It's done every six months. If I don't get it done, I lose the protection package.

Thanks!!!
If it's already paid for (even though you got it for free...) why not? The MO's paint is thin and very delicate, any protection you can get can only help. I'm absolutely disgusted with the number or chips and dings in the paint on my 6-month old MO.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Ya know....I was thinking about our complaints of "thin paint" that is easily chipped, etc, etc. I remembered the front of a suburban I had that was two toned silver/black (my fave).
anyway....
The front leading part of the hood had the exact kind of chips my Mo does. Maybe it had extra hard paint that wasn't resiliant so it chipped. Maybe that is what is wrong with the Mo. I know I put the hood deflector on the sub after touching it up, and, of course it never had another scratch.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had the AutoMate on my 99 Maxima, 5 years no wax, water still beaded and paint was in excellent condition except for chips on hoods leading edge. MO has it also, anything to help the paint last.

·
Registered
719 Posts
PaulQ said:

Thanks!!!
What do they charge for the "recoating" every six months? If it's a freebie, I'd go for it in a heart beat. Now if there's a charge, well..................

Any paint sealant, Klasse, Zaino, (not plain wax necessarily) will last for six months.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been protected!

Based on the "if it's free, do it" concept, I went and had the AutoMate done today. It took less than one hour.

I have NO idea what they did. Afterward, I noticed no particular difference in the paint. In fact, it didn't seem like anything had been wiped or sprayed on. None of the black trim had any "overspray". I even noticed a couple hard water spots which I assume were from when I got it washed earlier in the day - they hadn't been wiped away.

I asked the service guy about it when I brought the car in. He said it was a treatment they "apply". I should have pushed for more details. He did tell one of the mechanics to take my car for AutoMate and the guy seemed to know where to go (he didn't laugh).

This is all very puzzling. I can't even find some good basic information about "AutoMate" on the web.

It must involve some kind of process. Otherwise, it's a total scam. How could a scam like this exist across so many dealerships and makes of cars without being exposed? Obviously, they hope you never come back for the six month treatment but what are they doing when you do?

Well, I have another 6 months of that vague paint warranty now.
:eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: Automate paint protection;
I just bought my 2005 Murano from a dealer in Phoenix. I had never heard of this Automate thing before. I know they dont do it in Las Vegas because i bought my last Altima there. I was pleased with the deal so I really didnt scream about it. I wonder if you guys know if this is strickly a Phoenix thing? I live way up in Kingman so i figured id drive down to Phoenix once every 6 months to have it done. It is my understanding its free for the 3 years. So you get 6 treatments of what ever they do and its suppose to look like a new car for 3 years. We will see. :7:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Automate, known as "touch of class" in California, is supposedly a paint protection coating and teflon kind of material that they apply just like wax. I had it done to my black MBZ and you could actually see something was done because the paint would be sort of "oily" after a wash. After the year though, I don't see it anymore. I also had it done to my MO but unlike the MBZ I could not tell the difference when I got the MO back.

I guess if you always expose your car to hot sun (and that is the case in most of Califrornia and Arizona) it can be a good idea, assuming it does what it is suppose to do, but I think a good wax can give the same kind of protection for much less.

To be on the safe side, I use a spray on wax (when the car is still wet) after every other wash on both cars anyway...!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts