Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I know, I know, pull over
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked through the manual, but didn't see anything, so I figured I'd ask here. I've noticed that my automatic headlights are far more sensitive than other vehicles I've owned with this feature. They will often turn on when I drive under an overpass on a cloudy day... Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of this?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Mine is the same way and different settings don't do much. I just have mine on setting 2 and have learned to live with it.....annoying I must say though.....:mad:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Have you tried the alignment of element technique.... black disc covering the sensor... also gives you day time running lights too. :2:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I've got the same problem.

I noticed the sensitivity selection ranges from 1 to 4. Changing the sensitivity number does not seem to change anything. Which end of the range is "more" sensitive? Is 1 the least sensitive? Is 4 the most sensitive? The poorly written Owner's Manual neglects to mention the specifics.

-njjoe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gonzo said:
Have you tried the alignment of element technique.... black disc covering the sensor... also gives you day time running lights too. :2:

Yeah this was/is annoying to me too. I didn't think the sensitivity adjustment worked at first either but it did--I think--after setting it then turning the key to off. If I remember correctly, adjusting fully to the right made it come on more readily. But I also have the on/off/of/off problem when driving under shade trees on the way home from work.

I forgot about covering the sensor--thanks Gonzo! Is there anyone out there implementing this solution full time?

·
I know, I know, pull over
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must be missing something blatently obvious... :(
how to you adjust the sensitivity ('03, btw)?
alignment of element technique?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
jace said:
I must be missing something blatently obvious... :(
how to you adjust the sensitivity ('03, btw)?
alignment of element technique?
The dealer must adjust it on the '03.

I had mine adjusted "all the way" to the least sensitive position. That still didn't help.

It's too bad the lights come on so damn quick. I can't even pull into my garage without the lights coming on almost immediately.

All they need to do is set the timer back from 2 seconds to 22 seconds, it would eliminate just about every instance of unnecessary light ups.

Sensitivity is the only option, not delay.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Gonzo said:
I guess that would work, but then it won't be automatic lights no more! (just practicing perfect english :D )

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Why sure they would be automatic... automatically always on!

There use be an old joke about batteries in older cars... "Do you have the automatica batty shutoff feature... after a few hours my battery automatcially turns off. Of couse the battery is dead and I'll need a jump.

Thank to the MO this joke no longer applies.... yea!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I've messed with this, too. And am considering covering the sensor, but then it means that you have to manually hit the day/night button every time you want it to switch.

Setting the sensitivity to 4 makes the lights come on earlier (when it's still light outside). Setting it to 1 makes it come on when it's darker.

I set it to 4 originally because I wanted the lights to be on as much as possible, but every overpass I went under turned them on, then off again once I was through. So now I have it set to 2, which I think is the original setting.

I agree, the timer should be longer. Kind of stupid.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Corin said:
I've messed with this, too. And am considering covering the sensor, but then it means that you have to manually hit the day/night button every time you want it to switch.
Oh yeah, that is a good point, Corin. I wish there was an option for daylight running lights for US MOs.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I don't use the auto lights.
Just another engineering idea that went wrong somewhere between the thought and the execution.
Too much on-off-on, and I believe the one thing that wears out the HIDs is turning them on and off.

Homer

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
hfelknor said:
Just another engineering idea that went wrong somewhere between the thought and the execution.
Too much on-off-on...
Nissan sure messed this one up! My wife has the lights and the wipers on her car set on auto and they work perfectly every time.

·
2006 SL Sunset Red
75 Posts
Up on the dash at the bottom of the windshield there are two round sensors. One is for the head lights and the other is for the instrument lighting. Not sure which is which.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
mattsmo said:
Up on the dash at the bottom of the windshield there are two round sensors. One is for the head lights and the other is for the instrument lighting. Not sure which is which.
On my 2005, the one on the driver side is the light sensor. I believe the other sensor has something to do with the climate control, like taking a temperature reading or sun-beam reading or something. I remember it being mentioned somewhere else on this forum, but don't remember where.

But the one on the left is the one that controls the "auto" headlights.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Corin said:

On my 2005, the one on the driver side is the light sensor. I believe the other sensor has something to do with the climate control, like taking a temperature reading or sun-beam reading or something. I remember it being mentioned somewhere else on this forum, but don't remember where.

But the one on the left is the one that controls the "auto" headlights.
Thats correct. The one for the climate control is called the "sun load sensor." But I guess both sensors detect light (who knows they might be the same part #).

·
Registered
21 Posts
on a related note, I've noticed during the last week with the cold weather, the auto lights seem to remain on longer in the morning, even when it is quite light out. Could the cold be affecting the sensor?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Man, I LOVE the search engine. I was JUST about to ask about this, since I pass under a few overpasses on my way home and my lights are constantly popping on and off. The thing that irritates me the most is that they come on under an overpass, but don't come on when it's raining cats, dogs and zebras and is majorly overcast. As someone else said... GREAT idea... HORRID execution.

Later,
Jeff

·
Registered
162 Posts
SliderJeff said:
Man, I LOVE the search engine. I was JUST about to ask about this, since I pass under a few overpasses on my way home and my lights are constantly popping on and off. The thing that irritates me the most is that they come on under an overpass, but don't come on when it's raining cats, dogs and zebras and is majorly overcast. As someone else said... GREAT idea... HORRID execution.

Later,
Jeff
THAT's so funny! I was thinking about the same thing!
It's blastedly bright and sunny out here in SoCal and when I pull up under, the lights come on! That's how severe the sensitivity is on this thing?
I prefer to use it manually anyways.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts