Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020SL with the foot actuated automatic lift gate. Does anyone know how mounting a hitch for my bike rack will affect this? I don’t care about the foot feature itself in fact I’d like to unplug it if possible. I can’t find any documentation on the sensor itself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good question! I'm about to get a hitch for my bike rack too! I hope some people respond. I'm probably just going to let U-Haul install one. I think it's like $39 labor. That's worth it to me. I think the total comes out to around $200 w/tax.

·
Registered
88 Posts
"...I'm happy to tell you that none of the trailer hitches that fit your 2019 Nissan Murano - the Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch # 75952, Curt Trailer Hitch # C13205 or etrailer.com Trailer Hitch # E98907 will interfere with the hands-free liftgate that is on your vehicle. It is possible you may have to kick your foot on one side of the receiver as opposed to the middle, but that's it..."

Source:

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
Good question! I'm about to get a hitch for my bike rack too! I hope some people respond. I'm probably just going to let U-Haul install one. I think it's like $39 labor. That's worth it to me. I think the total comes out to around $200 w/tax.
Except for tow hitch wiring, which it seems won't be needed for a bike rack, it only takes 5 19mm bolts to install. Nothing needs to be moved. It's literally a lift into place and install the bolts job, less then 10 minutes for anyone. Save your $39 and go out to lunch as an reward for a job well done.

From experience and personal research, go with the Curt. They use a slightly thicker material for the tube and tube bend isn't as extreme as the others, coming out less from the body. The farther the tube is bent to bring the hitch out, the less weigh it can handle before it will start to "bounce" when carrying weigh while driving.

I use a handicap scooter, weighs about 175lb, along with the hitch carrier, 95lb. On my 2003 ,first hitch I went cheapest, when loaded, the carrier was just about dragging on the ground. Long story, two hitches later it was the Curt brand and it has less then 1'' of droop at the end when loaded. There's a few pics here on the forum of the setup on my Murano.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
@PaulDay....10 minutes for YOU, lol, ....Do I have to jack it up?(pretty sure I do!) It will take me 10 minutes to get the jack out, another 10 to read the manual about how to jack it up, go in and out of the garage 4 times to end up with the right tool (socket or regular wrench?) Does it need a torque wrench? Then I will probably put it on upside down and have to redo it....

Just kidding (sort of!) I'll have to get out there with hubby and take a look and then decide.

The website suggest the draw-tite... https://www.etrailer.com/p-75952.html

The site says a few things for me to consider

"I strongly recommend the Draw-Tite for your '19 Murano because of it has the highest capacities of the hitches that fit your car and is the only hitch that is compatible with a weight distribution system like the Equal-i-zer # EQ37100ET, which is important for many people to have a more comfortable towing experience."

" And lastly, we can torque all of our hardware down to the amount specified in the instructions "

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered the Draw-Tite from Etrailer. I’m not concerned about the mounting, I’m concerned about the car thinking something is under it and then behind it once I put a bike rack on it. It should be here this weekend so we’ll find out then.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The hatch sensor only looks for something like your foot waving for a moment UNDER the rear of the car. Also, it will only operate if your key is within a few feet of the sensor (the owner's manual has more information.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Most likely I will end up with etrailer hitch e98907 since it's the only one in matte black finish to match rear bumper

Then I will probably put it on upside down and have to redo it....

LOL... you made my day

·
Registered
24 Posts
The etrailer.com site responded to my question about torque wrenches. They do think one should be used (and kindly offered to sell me one!) Seriously, though they did tell me that most auto parts stores will lend these things out. I looked it up and Advance Auto does have a program. They charge you for the tool kit when you pick it up, but you get 45 days to return it and get a refund. That will work for me! Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have you seen installation manual under the link you have in your previous post? Everything is there including torque settings
Installation Details

"Tighten all M12 CL10.9 fasteners with torque wrench to 75 Lb.-Ft. (102 N*M)"

·
Registered
24 Posts
lipcio, I know it says about torque settings, but I have never used a torque wrench in my life and wondered if we could just tighten it and not use one.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
You really should use a torque wrench to tighten it properly, not too loose or too tight, both are bad and unsafe...

I torque wrench is super easy to use, you just select the torque value, then tighten the nut as you would with a conventional wrench.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2020SL with the foot actuated automatic lift gate. Does anyone know how mounting a hitch for my bike rack will affect this? I don’t care about the foot feature itself in fact I’d like to unplug it if possible. I can’t find any documentation on the sensor itself.
I have a 2018 SL and I installed a hitch for my bikes. Once installed it blocks the foot activated life gate.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Which hitch did you install? What manufacturer?
Does it block foot activation with rack attached or w/o anything attached to it?

Can someone else with hitch installed confirm or deny this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just ordered the Draw-Tite from Etrailer. I’m not concerned about the mounting, I’m concerned about the car thinking something is under it and then behind it once I put a bike rack on it. It should be here this weekend so we’ll find out then.
Did you install yet? I'm ready to order but figured I'd see how yours went.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
It just dawned on me the lift gate will probably not operate due to the weight on it, it will detect this as an obstruction I would think... You can test this theory on your Murano by putting an equivalent weight on it and see if it opens via the foot sensor or lift gate button.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
lipcio, I know it says about torque settings, but I have never used a torque wrench in my life and wondered if we could just tighten it and not use one.
The only safe way to install a bolt with a torque spec is to torque it.

If you have worked on cars for 10-20 years, then your wrists are familiar enough with torque that you can probably tighten bolts in the 20-30 lbs/ft range by hand and not worry about it. However, if you've worked on cars enough to have sufficiently educated wrists, you also have at least one and probably two or more torque wrenches. Torquing is better than guessing, regardless.

They're simple to use. Basic ones have a pointer and a scale; tighten the bolt until the pointer lines up with the designated torque. Nicer ones are adjusted with a handgrip which twists to set the correct torque and they will click or make a sound when the correct torque is achieved.

IF you ever rotate your own tires, you MUST have a torque wrench. Wheels are not properly installed unless they are torqued to the correct spec, which is in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So... sorry I’m late getting back. I installed the Draw Tite 2 inch hitch. Simple install, 5 bolts, torqued it down. Worst part was holding one end up and loosely installing the first bolt. Then my bike rack came in Rocky Mounts Mono Rail two bike tray hitch. This is where it kind of went sideways. With the rack on and a bike on it the car definitely thinks I’m about to hit something. You can cancel the beeping noise by pushing the right arrow button on the left side of the steering wheel BUT you also have to turn off automatic rear braking. The rear braking turns back on every time you start the car. I was hoping to be able to disable all these things and not have them come back on automatically. I have yet to try turning off the parking aids which disables the sonar so maybe that will help. Also the foot actuated automatic liftgate works but you have to do it just right. Like stand on one foot hold your nose on the vernal equinox kind of just right. So I definitely won’t be driving around with the bike rack folded up which is ok because it’s only one bolt.
If anyone has any ideas on disabling any back up related safety features let me know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So... sorry I’m late getting back. I installed the Draw Tite 2 inch hitch. Simple install, 5 bolts, torqued it down. Worst part was holding one end up and loosely installing the first bolt. Then my bike rack came in Rocky Mounts Mono Rail two bike tray hitch. This is where it kind of went sideways. With the rack on and a bike on it the car definitely thinks I’m about to hit something. You can cancel the beeping noise by pushing the right arrow button on the left side of the steering wheel BUT you also have to turn off automatic rear braking. The rear braking turns back on every time you start the car. I was hoping to be able to disable all these things and not have them come back on automatically. I have yet to try turning off the parking aids which disables the sonar so maybe that will help. Also the foot actuated automatic liftgate works but you have to do it just right. Like stand on one foot hold your nose on the vernal equinox kind of just right. So I definitely won’t be driving around with the bike rack folded up which is ok because it’s only one bolt.
If anyone has any ideas on disabling any back up related safety features let me know.
Good to know, I hadn't considered those issues. I guess I lived this long without the rear braking that I can handle it when I take the bikes out. I'm scared of my rack getting stolen, so we take it off when there are no bikes on it anyway. We don't use it frequently anyway. Hoping to take the bikes on a trip down to Myrtle Beach!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano Platinum
6 Posts
Good to know, I hadn't considered those issues. I guess I lived this long without the rear braking that I can handle it when I take the bikes out. I'm scared of my rack getting stolen, so we take it off when there are no bikes on it anyway. We don't use it frequently anyway. Hoping to take the bikes on a trip down to Myrtle Beach!
Hi, I installed the Curt hitch myself complete with the wiring kit. Installing the hitch was simple. I did not even have to jack the car up and I did torque it to spec. The wiring kit installation was a bit more difficult but the on line video was quite clear. Nissan has pre-wired the power required to the rear of the car. Don't do this if you are not comfortable with removing panels and working with electrical stuff.
Now the automatic tailgate foot activation still causes aggravation.The antenna is a short piece of coax located in the bottom of the plastic bumper. It does require that you kick on the left side of the receiver. The problem is that it is very particular about where you kick. It is to the point that I do not use it anymore because it rarely works and would cause me a great deal of frustration. I may open the bumper and see if I can move the antenna somewhere else that would make it work better.

I do travel with a bike rack and when backing up, It does apply the brakes (hard). I have found that backing very slowly will eliminate it coming to a hard stop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts