Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just picked up an '05 Murano S (Black on Black). First off this car is awesome! I want to keep it that way, so was reading through the manual and they recommend that I take the antena off when going through washes. My question is, is this really necessary??

TIA

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would do it just to be sure.

Also, dont use the washes with the brushes, use no-touch ones.

Personally, my wife and I wash our cars ourselves. The Z has such flaky paint (and I assume the Murano does as well) that its very very easy to swirl and scratch... so I dont trust anyone but ourselves to wash them.

Plus, its kind of relaxing to wash them... they look so damn good afterwards...

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I feel for the northerners.....especially for a black Mo up there---eeeeeek! I just washed mine out front, it is 53F here.
I think you need to find an indoor hand wash....it is in another thread about washing.
Hey, you know, that could be a business up there. Rent a small heated warehouse with nice drains and train some people how to wash correctly, and advertize--I bet you could make some serious money in the winter. Ouuu, think of the additional services you could add on....
hmmmm
:blingblin

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I've taken my Murano through a brush carwash without a problem (I flipping the antenna back beforehand, but did not remove it). But all washes are not the same, so its still do it at your own risk. If anything, I would not want water getting into the bare metal thread left behind when the antenna is removed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I;ve been thru the car wash probably once a week since december when I bought my Mo and have never removed the Antenna and have never had a problem. :cool:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ohio Murano said:
I;ve been thru the car wash probably once a week since december when I bought my Mo and have never removed the Antenna and have never had a problem. :cool:
Ditto on the once a week automatic cloth car wash, but I'm in my second winter with no problems of any kind related to the antenna or the sunroof windscreen or the paint (swirls and scratches) for that matter.

I did get several coats of Klasse All in One on before winter, so I'm really protected.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Who washes their MO in Touchless Car Washes and who in Cloth Car Washes?

Me, Touchless only...

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I gave up on touchless or cloth. Neither cleans as well as a good handwash. So now that the weather will be nicer, I plan to be the toucher...:2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ya, but it's just to freaking cold up here to be the "toucher" :D in the middle of the winter. It's the maximum shrivel factor, so car washes are the only way to go... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
SiriusDriver said:
Ya, but it's just to freaking cold up here to be the "toucher" :D in the middle of the winter. It's the maximum shrivel factor, so car washes are the only way to go... :rolleyes:
It was 85 F here two days ago...:2:

But I guess you have the road salt to worry about so I cannot blame you...

·
Registered
309 Posts
SiriusDriver said:

Me, Touchless only...
I use both, depending on how dirty my Mo is. Touchless just doesn't clean as well as the brushes. I still find dirt coating the car at times.

A good hand polish and wash when the weather warms will help rid the car of any blemishes that occur from the cloth washes. A you'll have that new car shine again!
:D

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
SiriusDriver said:

Me, Touchless only...
well i use touchless at least once a month... and sometimes go to Do-It-Yourself car washes...... find it a bit more fun to take off the dirt and reveal the lovely MO from under the dirt....

in summertime, i would do it myself. with that Bald Guy's Dry clean formula..... bought it off a sale and cant wait to use it..... but the weather is just driving me nuts.... for the past 5 days it has been snowing lightly here in Saskatoon and piled up the snow on road and banks again.... dahhhhh.. it was supposed to be spring yesterday but we had snowfall.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
In the winter I do touchless only, usually once a week. For the winter months they double the cycles. 2 pre-rinse, 2 wash, and 2 rinse. I find it cleans pretty good and fast. Most important is that no one is rubbing dirty mits or rags on my MO. When I get the chance I wash it myself in the garage.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use a do-it-yourself pressure wash bay once to twice a week for a few bucks a visit. This gives me the opportunity to really clean off the road salt and sand that collects on the underside, brakes, suspension etc...
The road salt is a real problem in ontario, absolutely crazy how much is used. There do exist better options, but the MTO can't get their head out of their @#$.

In the summers I mainly handwash. Its fun, relaxing and rewarding (or is it that beer afterwards...)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree the salt is bad enough but after the last wash I couldn't believe all the spots of tar stuck to the paint from the cold patches they use to raepair potholes. We can't win up here. Our friends down south drive around for weeks with nice clean cars. We drive around in winter with cars that look more like salted pretzels.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I commend my northern bretheren for their efforts to keep Mo clean.
Ya'll have a tough row to hoe.
We have our fair share of tar spots as well. I have found that after a bath the faint spots that are left from tar are easily removed with collinite, the wax of my choice. I find them by holding up a white towel and looking in the reflection, they are hardley visible without doing that on my silver Mo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts