Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Aux input (Pac-Audio AAI-NIS) arrived from JT Audio today...it rocks! Super easy install, super clean sound, no more tape adapter! :2:

I now have a new question due to my install...there are actually TWO Aux inputs available, one on SR 1, one on SR 2. I am using one for my Delphi Roady, and the other for my iPod. My question is...

How do I run a cable from behind the head unit (actually on the floor next to the pedals), to the inside of the center console? I want to use the cigarette lighter in there to power my iPod, and want to get a 1/8" to RCA cable in there some how. Has anyone ever successfully run anything into that console? If so, I would really appreciate any help...I looked for awhile tonight and don't see a way to get in there...

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm actually planning on doing something similiar (once I have enough cash to do it). A shop I've used in the past has taken a look at it and they said it can be done. See this thread ...it shows how to take apart the center console, maybe that would help. Where did you end up putting the unit?

edit: any pics? where are you going to be mounting the roady?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put it...

...on the floor behind the headunit. Basically, between the foot pedals and the passenger side foot area. The unit has about 2 feet of extra wiring, so this seemed like a natural place to put it. Easy access because you can remove that panel (by the pedals) with no effort.

Thanks for the link to that article. I am hoping that is an easy process...I was hoping to avoid too may screws, but it looks like I may have to block off some time to do it! Oh well, it will be well worth it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picture...

pic below...not much to show yet. Have to run the wire for the iPod and decide where to mount the Roady. I am thinking of using the Ultimount for the Roady, and placing it on the right of the passenger side climate control.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
crank

I, too, used power from the center console to power my tv tuner under the driver's seat. Cigarette lighters are well known for providing unclean power, btw. But in any case, I bought an open-ended cigarette lighter power adapter from radio shack. It has the power plug and a few feet of wire that just ends in stripped wires. Instead of getting "in" to the center basket, I went "out". Remove the basket and the small piece of trim on top with the passthru hole for the lid lock. I believe you have to remove a phillips screw or two as well. And the one under the lid lock is the biggest pain in the you-know-what to put back.

Then have someone pull on the driver's side of the outside wall, and you can drop the bare end of the cable between the inside and outside walls. Just aim for sunlight! It will drop out alongside (practically underneath) the driver's seat. Replace the trim and the basket, and it's totally invisible (except for the now occupied power outlet). There's a hole in the bottom of the basket which makes it perfect for this kind of task.

Now with the extra length of wire, just run it towards the front of the car along the floor, and tuck it under the console trim as you move forward. Makes for a SUPER clean install. And you also now know how to remove the cover trim next to the gas pedal. I'm planning to install a micro-pc in the area behind the head unit covered by the easily removable trim.

I also wanted to keep a small ham radio in the basket for the cross country trip so I added a 12v Y-adapter and powered both the tv tuner and the 50 watt ham radio without any issues at all.

·
4,601 Posts
Hey another Ham... Cool.

So now that it's confirmed the Pac Audio interface works, where's the best place to buy one?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I received the PAC today, Im attaching some pics of my installation, I found that you can put the PAC against the back of the radio using a double side tape... it fits well.

There is a limitation with this setup since the PAC is almost as wide as the radio, if you are using a straight RCA connector only one input can be used, if you can find a "L" shape connector you can use both.

TIP: Before connecting the RCA cables to the PAC you should run the RCA cable trought the hole indicated by the red arrow, so after you install back the radio the cable is going to be free inside the dash and you can send it where ever you like.

Attachments

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
great pic, mgarciah! sent shudders up my spine remembering how many times i had the head unit out :) Even having 3 A/V inputs, I'm still considering getting the PAC unit if it sounds that much better.

If someone who's in a driveable distance from either Philly or NYC gets one, I'd like to do a shootout to see if I will hear that much of an improvement over what I use today.

Besides, the only thing better than having 3 aux inputs is.. having 5 aux inputs!! :) Seriously, I would really enjoy moving my aux audio off the tv kit. For now to listen to MP3s, I have to

1. switch from CD to FM
2. change the FM station
3. switch the nav video over to the tv
4. turn on the tv
5. choose aux1
6. go into the menu and turn off the "automatic turnoff" feature that turns the tv off after 30 seconds of no video signal
7. press play on my MP3 player

Compare that with
1. press SAT
2. press play

Of course, once I get the multimedia PC installed, then I can skip 6, and 7 will become "browse the music menus and choose the music to listen to". I'll also have the option of running audio out from the tv to one of the PAC inputs -- again, if the improvement in sound is really that dramatic. But I have no complaints about the sound quality right now.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Will the PAC adapter work in a 2003 Murano without SAT? The PAC website says 2004 and above without a satellite receiver, but it does not say whether or not I need to have the sat harness and wiring already (which I do not, as mine is a 2003).

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
OK silly question... what is a PAC and what you using it for? AUX input from outside devices?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi Gonzo, PAC is the abreviated (defined by us) name for PAC-AUDIO which is a Californian based Electronic audio devices developer, Some of us has some external audio which we would like to hear it using the MO radio, on the market you can find a "cassette adapter", this is a normal audio casette without tape, inside it has a small magnetic piece that fools the cassete heads and you can plug any audio source to it and you can hear it in your MO audio system, but this method has some big flaws, the worst is that the quality of the audio depends on the physical contact between the cassete´s piece and radio cassette´s heads, so sometimes you have good sound (good contact) and after a bump on the road you lost the quality (bad contact). Tha PAC-AUDIO device plugs directly on the SAT conector behind the radio, and directs the signals to the radio amplifiers without such compromises, so you will have always a sharp and clear sound "of course as far as the source is clear and sharp".

Hopes this helps...

·
4,601 Posts
Eric L. said:
Will the PAC adapter work in a 2003 Murano without SAT? The PAC website says 2004 and above without a satellite receiver, but it does not say whether or not I need to have the sat harness and wiring already (which I do not, as mine is a 2003).
Hi Eric, I think it plugs right into the back of the radio, but I'll find out for sure, as I've got one on order.

Hopefully it comes apart easily too... You know me, if it has screws, it gets torn apart and photographed... :)

We'll see how it's put together and if Pac doesn't do it, I might study how feasible it would be to modify for use in tandem with a SAT receiver.:p

I've got a DAB receiver I'd like to attach, for use in Canada (or Europe, but it's a long wet drive...)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
jaak said:

Hi Eric, I think it plugs right into the back of the radio, but I'll find out for sure, as I've got one on order.

Hopefully it comes apart easily too... You know me, if it has screws, it gets torn apart and photographed... :)

We'll see how it's put together and if Pac doesn't do it, I might study how feasible it would be to modify for use in tandem with a SAT receiver.:p

I've got a DAB receiver I'd like to attach, for use in Canada (or Europe, but it's a long wet drive...)
Cool. Looking forward to your writeup!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does plug into the back...

I actually removed the SAT pre-wiring to use the PAC. It simply replaces the sat harness that is there.

You do have to have a place to plug in the SAT though, on the back of the head unit. If you have a vacant plug there, you should be golden.

·
4,601 Posts
Here's a pic...

The sat harness is removed and this is put in it's place. If you don't have the sat harness, then there's one connector that's removed and attached to the interface. Another connector replaces the removed one. This is to tap off power to run the interface. The last connector goes where the SAT/CD changer plugs in. This is the empty connector on a 2003.

Plugs in just like the SAT harness does. I've got more detail on that, on my web site.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Very nice. Now where would one buy one of these, and how much does it cost?

·
4,601 Posts
You can go further up this thread or to another one here:thread

$80 is a good deal!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts