Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here used there AWD yet? I have it, but can't say that I have ever used it. If you've used it, under what conditions and how? I was just thinking about how I regret getting an S AWD vs. going w/ an SL FWD. Oh well.:(

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I am spoiled w/ the Quattro where I don't have to fuss w/ it and turn it on and only drive like 20 mph.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have used it and it works fine. Yes, it will disengage above 8 mph (2005+ models) or above 20 mph (2003/2004 models), but at that point, you don't need AWD engaged unless a tire begins to spin - and at that point, the computer will re-engage AWD to regain traction.

I also came from an Audi Quattro. I loved the cars but let's face it, you pay for that Quattro traction with parasitic driveline losses (aka: drag) and in reduced mileage. With the Murano, I don't worry about going to the mountains and playing in the snow. Of course, changing the tires made a world of difference as the stock Goodyear LS are barely passable in the snow/slush.

Bob

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Coness-

You live in Minneapolis, right? Unless your MO is a garage queen, chances are pretty good that you have used AWD on many occasions. You may not have realized it at the time, but isn't that the point? AWD engagement should be seamless and unobtrusive.

The MO's AWD system is not a bullet-proof, rock-crawling AWD system, but it is effective in it's intended environment.

Seeing that you live and drive in Minnesota, I would not regret getting an AWD MO.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
On snow/ice, yes I've used AWD. It makes a world of difference when its really slippery on unplowed roads to have AWD Lock engaged, I've found.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Camping, torrential rainstorm, MUD!

Ok...here's the scenario...go on vacation with the 31 ft Winnebago, take the MO as drive around transport (we only went about 40 miles south of home). Torrential, monsoon rains come...world turns to slick, deep mud, everywhere. Did I worry? Nah, my MO slugged through it all, no worries at all. Many other "large" "real" 4WD vehicles got stuck...not me and my MO. Many were amazed at how well it slogged through the mud.

1 car wash later, and VOILA, urban SUV again!

Regards,

Big

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
NO

I bought the SL FWD, Less wear on Tranny and No transfer case worries, better ride, Lower unsprung weight, Lower cost.

I live in a Town with NO snow and No Mud and Roads to drive on :2:

I also have a Phaeton with "4 Motion' which is Full time AWD no way to even turn it off, Don't know it's their maybe it's good maybe not don't really know.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
NJ-JOE and Grip are right on. No way, no how would I buy an AWD in a southern climate. You'd just be flushing that money for a toy that requires maintenance and one that you'd never use.
If I'm in your part of the world or in the north east, I'd be glad to have it.
Bob1

·
Registered
286 Posts
lots of people have said I live in FLORIDA no need for AWD,But I pull into the beach the other day where they let you actually drive in the sand and felt so good when I pull in the gate and big old sign sayin 4x4 only and there was nothing but jeeps and big broncos in line to get in.
and even like that these torrentials rains that happens here I'm always glad that I have awd.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Actually yo were lucky.

enamurao said:
lots of people have said I live in FLORIDA no need for AWD,But I pull into the beach the other day where they let you actually drive in the sand and felt so good when I pull in the gate and big old sign sayin 4x4 only and there was nothing but jeeps and big broncos in line to get in.
and even like that these torrentials rains that happens here I'm always glad that I have awd.
That salt water will really do a job on the vehicle. Lived in Florida 34 to 58 and I would rather have the salt on Michigan roads than than and get "surf spray" underneath.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Such a romantic scene........ The lead actor in his Muarno......racing down the beach..........searching for a damsel in distress..........

But it is just a movie.
The number of beaches that you can legally drive on can be counted on one hand.
In my area of florida (SW) the total is................zero.
On the east coast there are a lot more. One.

Besides, I can't afford the Muarno transfer case.:rolleyes:

Homer

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: Actually yo were lucky.

GripperDon said:

That salt water will really do a job on the vehicle. Lived in Florida 34 to 58 and I would rather have the salt on Michigan roads than than and get "surf spray" underneath.
surf spray happens when you drive near the water,cars in those beaches get to play in the sand about 100 feets away from shore
and I lived in ILL from 91 to 04 and was not a good feeling to see me 98 blazer rusting out, and even if there was surf spray underneath I rather have the surf spray underneath few times in the summer than having 6 months of road salt in every snowfall.
hfelknor:st augustine is legally drive in sand beach and a part of daytona beach is also legal, well they do charge $5 to let you in.
and so far those are the only two beaches I have visited here in fl,I bet must be more beaches that legally let you drive on the sand.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
The only one I know of in New Jersey is Island Beach State Park. The sand here is "sugar sand"; very fine and very "loose". You definitely need to lower the air pressure and expand the footprint of the tires, otherwise you're not going to go anywhere except down. And don't even think of trying it with AWD.

I will not even consider taking the MO on the beach. I would not want to be accused of polluting the beach by dumping transfer case oil on the dunes. :2:

The salt can attack your car even if you avoid the water. My driveway is about 150' from a salt-water bay. On windy days you can see the salt deposits on the MO. Thank God for Zaino.

-njjoe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts