Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that when I push the awd button to lock position, there is no indicator light that goes on. I don't know if that's normal.
Can anyone try it and see if their awd switch when in lock position have any light that turns on.

Thanks.

Tony

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yup, AWD light turns on

When I lock the driveline to AWD, I get a small AWD light that illuminates under the speedometer.

Bob K.

·
Registered
466 Posts
There should be a light on the right below the cluster gauge that comes on saying "AWD Lock". If it doesn't, then there is definatley a problem...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yes there is a light under the speedometer that says AWD LOCK. If you are referring to a light on the switch itself, the letters are lit up at night, but there is no indicator light on the switch itself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
TCH, don't know about the light, but i have tried the AWD button and was surprised that at speeds below 20 mph I could not tell from the feel or sound if AWD was engaged or not. Is this expected? On my 4WD explorer it was very obvious when all 4 wheels were engaged. MOjoe

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Doug said:
TCH, don't know about the light, but i have tried the AWD button and was surprised that at speeds below 20 mph I could not tell from the feel or sound if AWD was engaged or not. Is this expected? On my 4WD explorer it was very obvious when all 4 wheels were engaged. MOjoe
Yeah the AWD is transparent, you can't feel it. I've used AWD Lock on purpose just to see if I can feel or hear the system.

Oh and I am sure everyone knows this already, but the AWD system is automatic, you don't need to switch AWD Lock on for it to function. I suppose AWD lock would be handy if you were in some really slick terrain, or if you were stuck.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Try locking the AWD. Then turning the wheel all the way. If all wheels are locked there will be some slipping grabbing from the tires on the inside of the turn I would think.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm sure my AWD works, I took a steep 25 foot muddy grass hill as a short cut out of one of my boys football games parking lot. The MO climbed right up & out with ease, but when the front tires hit the dry pavement of the street I smoked em a little. Of course I told my boy he should never do that. :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
KSmurano said:
I'm sure my AWD works, I took a steep 25 foot muddy grass hill as a short cut out of one of my boys football games parking lot. The MO climbed right up & out with ease, but when the front tires hit the dry pavement of the street I smoked em a little. Of course I told my boy he should never do that. :D
Its probably too late, your kids will all have lead feet from dad's driving.

·
Registered
719 Posts
When in doubt, check your owners manual.

Section 5, pages 18-19.

"Never drive on dry, hard surface roads in the lock mode, as this will overload the power train and may cause a serious mal-function."

:eek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
The AWD lock will go into AUTO mode when you reach 19 mph. Lock only works under 19 mph.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah, only lock AWD when you're stuck. Your MPH won't be over 19 if you're trying to get out of a rut ;)

Probably could do with going into "L" (2003) when stuck, too. It will give you more traction and torque. I don't know if the 2004 models even have the "L" setting.

Once you get unstuck and drive, the AWD will go into auto, but be sure to turn off the lock.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The 04's have the triptronic shifter. We have 1 - 6 speed selections. I would assume the 1st gear (not really a gear) is the same as your L.

The SE model has triptronic here in Canada.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts