Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the board for AWD discussions and thought I would start a new thread about AWD since the first snow storm of the season hit and I drove all the way across town to the Nissan dealer to have my grill replaced.

I have an 05 SL AWD and have tried it out before today on wet pavement. I drove along a highway and started out in AWD by locking it. I can drive up to at least 60kph and at some point, the AWD Lock light goes out.

Today, I purposely gunned it many times and I have never seen the AWD light come on, even though there is tire spinning. I did lock it in again on the way home and got up to about 60kph and the AWD Lock light never went out until I stopped.

I can't engage the AWD Lock over about 10 kph so that is working properly. How come I can go 60 kph with my 05 when everyone else says I should only be able to go 40 kph (28mph)?

Thanks for any replies

Dave

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
I've felt the rear kick in various times during takeoff in the wet, and have never seen the AWD light come on. In times of *serious* spin, the power drops off the SLIP light starts to blink. But never an AWD light, nor the AWD Lock light unless I accidently turn it on when reaching for the seat heater with big gloves on :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
The AWD lock light on your dash simply illuminates when you have the AWD lock switch flipped, it is not a status indicator of the AWD clutch system.

The ECU will modulate the clutch pack as it sees fit for traction and control any time it sees fit with the lock switch set off. With the lock switch set on, the clutch is locked up to 18MPH for older Mos and only like 4 or 5 MPH for newer ones or those that have had their electronics replaced during a transfer case replacement. Above 18/4MPH, the AWD system operates normally (ECU controlled).

At least, that's how it all works in the American market. You're talking KPHs so I'm guessing your somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The AWD Lock light tells you the AWD Lock switch is at the "on" position, but it will still default to "Auto AWD" above 19mph (for 03-04) and 9mph (i think, for 05+) regardless if the light is on or not. The reason for the reduction in AWD Lock speed for 05+ models is because the transfer case on the Murano is a part time system, and not meant for sustained operation (without having it end up cracking or leaking anyways). All 03-04 models that have their transfer cases repaired get the new 05 switch (and lower speed).

When AWD is engaged, there is no indicator light for it. The "AWD" light only turns on if there is a problem with the AWD system (this is different from the AWD Lock light). A situation where the AWD light might come on is if the system is overtaxed and the gear oil is overheating. The ECU will switch to FWD mode to allow the AWD system to cool down before switching back to Auto AWD mode.

The SLIP light illuminates whenever either the traction control or stability control activate, and may or may not occur at the same time as automatic AWD activation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AWD Continued

Thanks for clarifying how the system works. I was expecting the AWD light to come on when the system automatically came on. When I do lock the system on I do notice a definate difference on how it drives and it does give me a little more confidence in bad conditions.

I have to say that for $2000, I am honestly not that impressed with on demand AWD. I would like the peace of mind knowing that I can lock it in when I think I need it, not when Nissan does!!

My old Pontiac had a light come on when low traction occured to warn you, this system does nothing to warn you, it just comes on. Hopefully the transition to AWD doesn't cause problems.

Time will tell if it is really worth it. In Canada, a FWD version was rare, typically only if you order it that way.

Thanks again for the help!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Well for the low traction light, if you have VDC, thats what the SLIP light is for. It will blink if your wheels lose traction.

·
4,601 Posts
Initially in Canada the FWD version didn't even exist!

Watch the AWD. If you don't have it engaged, and you hammer it into a corner, the rear wheels will kick in and on snow, this could be enough to break them loose and spin the back end around.

In normal driving, it's not an issue and if you have VDC it shouldn't be a problem either. But on an SL AWD you can be in for a surprise if you really hammer it and don't expect this. I know I was!

Once you figure it out, you either turn on the AWD or you learn how to control it.

·
I know, I know, pull over
72 Posts
Eric L. said:
The AWD Lock light tells you the AWD Lock switch is at the "on" position, but it will still default to "Auto AWD" above 19mph (for 03-04) and 9mph (i think, for 05+) regardless if the light is on or not.
then what's the point of the AWD button?

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
jace said:

then what's the point of the AWD button?
The AWD Lock button forces the AWD to remain engaged at relatively low speeds. Those are for serious conditions. Trying to dig out of 18 inches of loosely packed powder, for instance. Or creep along across two inches of ice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You also may notice that when you are 'hot' around a corner ( of a deserted city street with nothing to hit of course) power gets cut even though your foot hasn't change throttle position.

gyroscope, lateral g, wheelspin, saftey etc. etc. etc.

As my pal says, I JUST WANNA DRIVE!

But, it's my wife's car anyways and it suits for her 99.9% of the time. The only thing that annoys me is if your foot is right off the throttle, Moe says it's time to compression brake. Hard to coast to a stoplight smoothly. That, and the brakes are very 'grabby' - i.e. not linear at all. Has anyone else noticed this? Fixes?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
dvg said:
...The only thing that annoys me is if your foot is right off the throttle, Moe says it's time to compression brake. Hard to coast to a stoplight smoothly. That, and the brakes are very 'grabby' - i.e. not linear at all. Has anyone else noticed this? Fixes?
I've never noticed. I find the MO's brakes just perfect and very effective. I did get into an accident on the highway... sudden stopage. I stopped just in time NOT to hit the car in front of me but the car behind me didn't and hit me causing me to be pushed into the car in front of me.

MB has a new feature on some of their cars where when it detects stopped traffic in front of you it will hit the brakes for you. Reducts rear end (your rear end) accidents by someting like 75% since there isn't a panic stop.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"MB has a new feature on some of their cars where when it detects stopped traffic in front of you it will hit the brakes for you. Reducts rear end (your rear end) accidents by someting like 75% since there isn't a panic stop."

This feature is part of the cruise control (only). Not operable in normal driving.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
When we hear that the brakes are grabby, it's almost always on the wife's car.

My wife doesn't have a car.
We have a family car, the Murano.
So I drive it quite a bit.

But I also have a Toy.
It's a 1988 T-Top Fiero.
Serious fun.

But it has standard brakes. No power booster.
So when I get in it, I think there are no brakes.
But I soon adapt.
I was a road warrior and as such, rented and drove every mule of every manufacturer, esp domestic.
So I am use to having to adapt.
And then just like baby bear, after a few stops, the Fiero feels just right.

But then the fun day is over and I climb back up off the pavement into big high Murano.
First stop and these brakes are GRABBY!
A few stops more tho, and I am marveling how 4000 pounds can be stopped so well, and with such superior, tho delicate, modulation.

Anyway, that's my experience.
If your brakes truly are grabby and your wife can't stop smoothly take it to the dealer.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I am not surprised by the comment about the grabby brakes. Reviews of the G35 and FX, which use similar braking systems have also used the word grabby. Better overly firm braking than the opposite, which is "mushy."

Even in stock form, the Murano has pretty good brakes, but I do wish there was a little less front end dive. I guess I feel every mm of dive, coming from a car with lowered and adjustable suspension, where dive was all but eliminated (and felt great when braking).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmm. Interesting comments homer. I did not mean to imply that the brakes don't work, or are ineffective, but rather that as you start to apply them, say 1/4 pressure from panic brake, not much happens cf. speed bleeding off. We both noticed it when Moe was new. Of course we have adapted our driving habits, it just seemed odd in a car with 4 wheel discs. Just different than the malibu and the grand prix.

Eric, haven't noticed allot of dive as you indicated, but I haven't done any really serious braking yet either. That, and I'm running the SE which as I understand it offers a much firmer ride than the SL which may be contributing to the poise.

I seem to recall a thread somewhere where a guy switched out pads and was really impressed. Now where is that search button...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I'm the one that switched out the pads with Porterfields. Still very pleased with the carbon kevlar pads, but they do dust more than the stock Nissan ceramic pads. And I have an SE. I guess I just brake harder than most, so I feel the dive more. Its probably quite normal, but I drove a car with a very stiff suspension before the Murano so I have gotten used to very firm no dive braking. The Murano is a high riding vehicle, so I should have expected more suspension movement.

If KYB ever made their AGX adjustable shocks and struts for the Murano though, I would put them on in a heartbeat. Had them on my Maxima and the firm sporty ride was a fine tradeoff for the slightly harsher ride.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Hmm.. diving during hard braking??? I'd have to Google for a while, but I'm certain one of the features that sold me on moving from the Xterra to the Murano was the active braking distribution. It supposedly shifts some of the braking from the front to the rear, specifically to elminiate diving under braking.

You should feel the rear sink during hard braking.. like a running dog trying to stop quickly on a hardwood floor..

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
EBD can direct brake pressure rearward but the vehicle's momentum will always carry it forward during braking, and there will always be dive. From what I understand, EBD can sense load over the rear wheels (not sure how) and increase rear brake pressure if you have back seat passengers.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric L.-

The following is from the 2005 Service Manual:

"Electronic Brake Distributor (EBD) is a function that detects subtle slippages between front and rear wheels during braking, and it improves handling stability by electronically controlling Brake Fluid Pressure which results in reduced rear wheel slippage."

I am assuming the EBD is getting it's signals from the wheel sensors. From what I can tell, EBD is not a "stand-alone" system, but is actually a sub-system of the ABS module.

I hope this helps.

-njjoe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts