Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say your on a snow packed road,is it OK to drive 45 or 50mph with AWD in the lock position,or is the lock position for 10 to 20mph like rock climbing,I know it sound like a lame question but the owners manual doesn't go into depth on this! Thank for any input

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The AWD lock disengages automatically at 19mph and reverts to the automatic AWD mode the Murano defaults in. So I doubt you can harm the system by driving at high speeds in AWD lock. However, I wouldn't use AWD lock unless the automatic AWD is inadequate for road conditions, since the owners manual cautions against using AWD lock on "smooth roads."

·
Banned
32 Posts
I researched everything about the MO except the AWD system before I purchased. The MO AWD is more of a Automatic 4x4 system. No center diff, therfore driving on dry surfaces /w the system locked will beat up the drivetrain.

It's an OK system which works great in snow, but is not near as good in rain like Quattro or the Subaru AWD systems.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Actuall the MO, will disengage the AWD once it hits 30 km (19 miles) so there is no difference driving with the lock on/off when youa re above that speed. once you drop below, it puts it on..

one difference I have noticed is that there seems to be more "engine breaking" if the AWD is locked.. then when it's not..
and I notice there is a bit of a "nudge" (I was going to say thud, but it's not audible, or every noticable) then it drops into the lock mode..

for me.. I lock it if the roads are very icy/rough/steep hills/lots of corners.. if it's just regular winter driving I leave it off...

mfreed said:
I researched everything about the MO except the AWD system before I purchased. The MO AWD is more of a Automatic 4x4 system. No center diff, therfore driving on dry surfaces /w the system locked will beat up the drivetrain.

It's an OK system which works great in snow, but is not near as good in rain like Quattro or the Subaru AWD systems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts