Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went cheap and bought the AWD S model. After a week driving it, I loved it and regretted not getting one with more features. So far I upgraded the radio speakers by adding the tweeters in the dash and I've installed a dim mirror with homelink and compass.

I'm trying to upgrade and keep it as stock as possible.

I'm hoping the wires for the fogs are there like the tweeter wires were. The mirror was a different story. I ended up buying the whole kit with wiring harness (OEM, but not from dealer - much much cheaper). Overall, a very easy install for both.

If the fog wires are there - I wish Nissan would hurry and provide a fog kit like on their other vehicles. Has anyone had a chance to confirm whether the FOG wires are present on the S model? If I do not hear from anyone, I may venture on discovering it for myself real soon.

Also, are there other upgrades that I can do (relatively cheap) to the S model to improve to SL/SE options?

Love this site and can't wait to someday try the HID upgrade as posted in this site.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
DO the HId upgrade...

Love this site and can't wait to someday try the HID upgrade as posted in this site
Do the HId upgrade , you wont regret it ;)

·
136 Posts
biggun said:

I'm hoping the wires for the fogs are there like the tweeter wires were.

Is that right? The tweeter wires are right there waiting for a speaker? If so, I will pop the grills off this weekend.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes vfr. The connectors are brown color and are taped to the wire harness on either side. The drivers side is harder to find. At first glance you will see a white connector. That is for the optional sensor. The tweeter connector is slightly lower. Be careful when removing/untaping from harness. I used a screw driver and needle nose pliers. The cost was $25 each from the dealer. I say a great improvement for $50 bucks.

Sugar, definitely! After the Fogs, that is on my list. However, Z is right. I've been looking and they are hard to come by for a decent price.

In time - it will be done.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay, I just checked under the driver's side fender protector and it appears that the harness for the fog is there. Next step is to purchase the parts. I think i will need the following:

- OEM Fog lights
- OEM turn signal stalk with fog light switch
- OEM Harness (short connector to fog)
- OEM Relay
- Fuse

Hoping to get some of them off of ebay

I know the fogs are also for Altima and I believe the stalk is also same as Titan. Now why wouldn't Nissan just make the Atlima and MO stalk the same so I could just purchase the Altima fog kit? - Go figure?

I will try to update as I go forward on this OEM Mod.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New update on Fog add-on.

I went to the dealer today to get info/pricing on my FOG add-on. The S model does not list the parts since it is not an option for this model. I asked them to look up the parts for the SL, which should be the same. Below is a list of parts with part No. and cost (North East -USA).

- Fog Lamp Assy, R; Part # 26150-8J025; $181.55
- Fog Lamp Assy, L; Part # 26155-8J025; $181.55
- Harness Assy; Part # 24028-CA000; 2 @ 16.73 = $33.46
- Switch Stalk Assy; Part # 25540-AM620; $74.96
- Relay; Part # 25230-79943 (not sure is this part # is right); $21.16

Total (Option 1) = $492.68 (ouch!!) :(

One thing to point out is that the stalk is only available with autolights only. I guess this is a standard option for the SL and SE. Is this correct? Has anyone tried/know how to add autolight option for their MO?

Option No. 2 is to buy Altima Fog light kit ($197) and use the FOG lights from the kit (same as MO). Cost saving is approx. $166 (total =$363).

Option 3 is to by aftermarket FOG for MO off of eBay ($76 each), plus shipping = approx. $161. Cost saving versus dealer is $202 (total = $290.58).

Option 4 is to wait until September/October (which is when Nissan adds accessories to their lineups - based on the dealer) for a possible FOG kit for the MO S type. Est. cost $250. Total savings is approx. $243.

I may wait until Sept/Oct so that I get the OEM Fog versus the aftermarket. If it were not for that difference, I would pay the additional $40 now and go with Option 3.

Oh BTW, with Option 2 you may be able to sell the Signal stalk on eBay to an Altima owner and get back some of your money = more savings. I suspect that you could get between $25 and $50 for it with the autolight function. :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you get the updated light switch stalk with the 'auto' option (for the fog lamps), would adding the light sensor enable the 'auto' light feature?
Would the computer need to be reprogrammed?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Question.

I was wondering that myself. I'm no expert, but I would imagine that it would work as long as there is no difference in the programs for each option (auto or non-auto light). I know the door switches can effect when the lights turn on/off, so it may be were reprogramming is required.

I am also looking at installing the option of PIAA 510 ION FOGS into the openings instead of stock housings. I'm not sure if I can operate these with the stock switch/relay. If not, I will go completely stock.

More to come. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too am faced with the same issue. Has anyone succesfully install fog lights into a S model Murano?? If so...how...where??? WHat do I need to do?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Until Nissan officially comes out with a fog lamp kit (Which will need a firmware update for the BCM or updated ability to configure it), you'll need to ground the fog lamp relay by other means to activate the lamps.
Since I was the Genie Pig on this one, here is my recommendation:

Purchase the 2002-05 Nissan Altima fog lamp kit.
*The lights are the same
You may also need to purchase 2 fog lamp harnesses (Which can be purchase online for ~$11 each * 2.)
* Although the kit may come with them.

Don't bother using the fog lamp stalk, you waste your time installing it.

Wire the signal ground for the head lamps to the signal ground for the fog lamps. Whenever the lights are on will cause the fog lamps to also come on. You can optionally wire a switch to control this.
* This signal ground is the wire from the CPU that triggers the relay to come on. d/l the complete manual from nissantech (I think) for $20.

*Also, it took 3 dealerships to figure this out! All of whom said they install fog lamps in Murano 'S's all the time!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
k_garten,

I want to be clear on this - did you actually try to install all of the OEM FOG parts as listed above in my previous post - and it did not work?

Did the stalk have autolight, if so, did you install the light sensor on the dash?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes,
All the above parts! The only thing not required was the fog lamp relay. (It was already there).
Also installed the light sensor!

And No, the Autolamps and fog lamps do not work from the new stalk! One of the dealership was able to change the config on the BCM to give me the auto-lamp options; however, it does nothing.

They also had recommended that I obtain a BCM from an SL or SE model and reprogram the keys but there is no guarantee that this would work. (It has never been done before). + $400 for this piece.

You think Nissan would have made it easier to install the lamps!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That just kills me.

Why would Nissan design a simple plug and play for Altima and Titan fogs and not for the Murano.

Can you provide some diagrams - pict on your install?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SUddenly....starting to regret.

OK....I was trying to save some money, got my Murano S for 24,977, a newspaper special. But now I see it was not necessaririly a bargain. Meaning.....I want fog lights, but do not want to have to rebuild my car to get them. After market is starting to sound better.

Ok so if I read right, k_garten got the fog lights working, but.....they do not have their own working on/off switch?? So that means they are always on when the headlights are on??? Hmmmmm

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome to the Murano 'S' regret club!

Well, its not that bad (I wouldn't worry about it):
Get the Altima lamp kit. If you need to turn them off (Some states require this, luckily not mine) run a wire to your cabin and mount a switch. I'll try to submit a diagram.

Other S model shafts:

1) Steering wheel: get over using the radio controls with your right hand. Buy a leather steering wheel cover at your local auto store or online.

2) 4 way seat (Easy convert to the 8 way with 2 DPDT (on)-off-(on) rocker switches)! The motors are already there! (Thanks Nissan!!!)
You also can buy the factory switch and harness for ~$350 (I like the $20 option and build my own harness)

3) Headrest doesn't swivel. - lever lost sleep over this one.

4) Rear 12v socket missing - I think power is already there! I may buy a 12v socket for this (next mod).

5) Adjustable pedal missing - I think the 'S' factory location is perfect

6) Front seat back pockets. - I guess I may miss this?

7) Autolamps and delayed lamps - OK, this would be nice!

I think that somes it up; SL, SE owners (feel free to add)

·
Registered
41 Posts
convenience package for S

when I was looking for my mo, I contemplated regarding the good price of the S models.

There is a Convenience Package for the S that adds the roof rails, the power driver seat, power pedals, privacy cover, and cargo liner for $800.

Just bought a base SE (actually did not have any of the features in the S convenience package, similar package for the SE would be $1500 because of the Bose upgrade), but I did like the sporty, firm feel & the HID of the SE and the homelink & radio controls of the SL/SE

at the same time, I do miss having the roof rail and the privacy cover. :(

·
Registered
424 Posts
k_garten said:

SL, SE owners (feel free to add)
Since you asked. . . besides the homelink transceiver, the "S" model also lacks the auto-dimming rearview mirror with digital compass and vehicle security system.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The "vehicle security system" is what Nissan calls the alarm system. The lights flash and the horn sounds when it has been set off. You are correct that all models have the immobilizer.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts