Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, I need your advice.

I started up the MO and both the SES and AWD lights illuminated and remained lit. I restarted the engine several times but both lights remained lit.

I then let the car rest for 5 minutes and restarted it. Now only the SES light stays on. The gas cap is tight and there are no strange sounds nor smells coming from the car.

I was planning on heading out this evening but I need to know if the SES/AWD lights mean failure is imminent.

The car is only 4 months old with 5,000 miles. What is your suggestion?

Thanx in advance.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Funny, I JUST had this happen about 20 minutes ago as well.

I found this thread with a search for "SES AWD": http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3412

We just got back today from a week long trip. Went out to the store (1.5 miles away from my house). Turned on the car, drove about 20 feet, AWD and SES light came on, and it went into safe mode (basically runs at idle speeds no matter how hard you push the accellerator. Turned it off before leaving the parking lot, turned it back on, same thing. Drove it home, but now it's sitting in my driveway.

Probably have to wait until Tuesday to get it fixed. I think the dealerships are closed on Monday.

Grrrrr. First real problem I've had. About 14k miles.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Hummmm,

The same year...the same color....the same type.....the same virus....

What is going on???

Sorry about your troubles. If the MO is not drivable Nissan should cover the tow charges. I would however call them and ask them to send the tow truck (remember it has to be a flat bed because MO must be towed with all four wheels off the ground)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zebelkhan-

Damn, you're right. It must be the platinum. :ucrazy:

I was just thinking... Since all MOs share the same instrument panel, wouldn't it be great if the SES and AWD light came on and you had the FWD version? :bonk: That would make you wonder.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Called "Nissan of the EastSide" (in Bellevue) and they said that if it was a warantee repair, towing would be covered. Gave me the number of the towing company they use, said I could make whatever arangments I wanted with them, and that the towing company would bill the dealership directly for the towing expenses.

The service department is closed now, and they don't open until Tuesday, but the tow truck (flatbed) is coming now and will drop it off at the service center tonight. I figure it SHOULD be OK sitting there until Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
njjoe:

What's the status of your MO? Were you able to contact your dealership to bring it in?

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Dealership called, said that there is a failure in my "AWD Unit" (their words, I was really busy so didn't press them for more details). Had to order a part, should be there tomorrow morning, they should have it fixed by end of day tomorrow, unless they find something else wrong.

Right before this happened we were driving over the mountain pass and it was probably the first time that my AWD system really kicked in because of slipping. I've forced it on before, and spun the front tires on gravel, but it probably worked harder on the ice. Perhaps it was broken all along and was just waiting for me to push it over the edge. Hopefully the new part they put in will be a little better! :rolleyes:

NJJoe: Any word on yours? Same thing?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Corin-

Both the SES and AWD lights remain off and the car appears to be functioning normally. I am heading over to the dealers tomorrow AM to see what they can do for me.

This is my first experience with a Nissan Service Department and I plan on being diligent. From what I understand, whatever fault caused the SES & AWD lights to illuminate will be stored in memory. Once they interrogate the computer I will ask for a detailed explanation of their findings.

Thanx for the follow-up.

Good luck with your MO.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Good luck njjoe, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both the SES and AWD lights have remained off and the car is running fine.

I went to the dealership (PineBelt Nissan in Toms River, NJ) this morning and explained the situation. Two service advisers claim that there is nothing to worry about because the SES light has not come back on. I asked to have the computer interrogated and they said I would have to make an appointment. O.K. The next available date is next Thursday, 8 days from now! (I could have gotten an earlier appointment, but I would have had to leave the MO overnight. And since it appears to be running fine I did not want to lose it for a day.) He also stated the interrogation will most likely not show anything because the error codes do not stay in the system for long. (???)

I told him I was aware of the history of the transfer case problems and he told me not to worry, that they have only replaced one unit since the MO's introduction. (???)

This is my first encounter with Nissan service. So far I am not overly impressed but, for now, will give them the benefit of the doubt. However, if something catastrophic does occur prior to the service appointment, then that's a whole new ballgame.

Hopefully it was just a hiccup and not a sign of imminent failure.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Depending on the severity of the problem, the ECU will store codes for either a long time or a short time. If its serious enough to trip the SES light, and its not a minor issue like a loose gas cap, then the code will still be there 8 days from now.

From the sound of it, your dealer has terrible service. If you feel the car has an issue they should have just kept your car overnight and pulled the code the next day if they were so busy the day you brought it in.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
OK, my MO is fixed and seems to be running fine.

First, I'd like to mention that the new Bellevue Nissan service department seems to be the exception to the rule: They did good by me. I'll definitely be going there again. The service manager that was taking care of my case gave me her direct number so I wouldn't have to go through reception to get a hold of her, knew what was going on with my car each time I talked to her, and called me back as soon as she had information for me. When I picked up the vehicle it was freshly washed and vacuumed.

The final verdict was that the AWD control assembly failed, so it was essentially an electrical problem rather than a mechanical problem (i.e. differential).

Part #: 41650-CC40A

I forgot to ask how much the repair would have been without the warranty. It's listed as $0.00 on the receipt since I didn't have to pay anything. The towing was all handled behind the scenes, doesn't even show up as a line item on my bill, and I never had to give my info to the towing company, which is a nice touch.

NJJoe: Hope your problem doesn't come back, but if it does, give them hell. I can't believe that they won't even hook it up to the computer within 8 days. That just plain stupid. Any other Nissan dealers nearby?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to the dealership this A.M. to have the computer interrogated, and lo and behold they could not find any fault codes. The service adviser had no explanation as to why the SES and AWD lights came on, nor why no fault codes were displayed.

I can't fault (no pun intended) the service adviser. If the diagnostic tool does not give them a fault code then there is little for them to investigate.

The car has been running perfect and there have been no incidents since 12/31. Unlike Corin's experience, my car never entered the "safe" mode.

The service adviser was surprised that I could not get an appointment for 8 days and told me to just bring it directly to him if it occurs again and he will have it looked at ASAP.

As long as the car continues to run trouble-free then I won't worry about this incident.

Thanx for all of your help and suggestions.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If the SES light comes on, the computer always stores a code. The severity of the problem determines how long the computer keeps it in memory. By how long I mean how many start cycles the car experiences (starting the engine) from the initial fault that tripped the SES.

I would think though, that if the AWD light also came on, the issue might not necessarily be with the ECU, but the AWD control module (a separate unit).

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I had a brand new Nissan.. at about 8 months I was driving down the highway.... and noticed the fuel gauge was at 1/4 (unusal since I never let it go below 1/2)

What was funny as I'm watching it as its going lower and lower.... I'm looking in my rear view mirror to see if I'm leaking fuel.... then it reaches E and climbs back up.

Never happened again. :8:

Nissan's designer's sense of humor I guess.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Eric-

I know what you're saying. I mentioned that to the service adviser and he agreed that if there was any type of major fault the computer would still have it in memory. The fact that no code was found and a visible inspection found nothing makes it a difficult problem to investigate.

If the problem occurs again, I will make every effort to get to a dealer ASAP to have the fault code identified.

The car is only 5 months old with 5,600 miles on the clock. I have enough warranty left that I am not that concerned.

Thanx again.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Gonzo said:
I had a brand new Nissan.. at about 8 months I was driving down the highway.... and noticed the fuel gauge was at 1/4 (unusal since I never let it go below 1/2)

What was funny as I'm watching it as its going lower and lower.... I'm looking in my rear view mirror to see if I'm leaking fuel.... then it reaches E and climbs back up.

Never happened again. :8:

Nissan's designer's sense of humor I guess.

That's one cool easter egg! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts