Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a awd sl but i dont have the traction contorl, and the dvc,,,is this good or are the other 2 options only for fwd models.?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
With AWD drive alone, you will have added traction when accelerating in a straight line in snow/ice. However, without the VDC, you might experience the tail kicking out abruptly if you hit the gas on a slippery turn (such as on ice), so be careful.

·
4,601 Posts
If you're not used to it and you make a turn at slow speed then accelerate hard, you may find yourself in a spin, as the rear wheels kick in and break loose the back end.

Take it easy in slippery conditions and if you're on ice or snow, turn on the AWD to make it more predictable. And when you get a chance, find a big empty parking lot and practice sliding so you learn how it works and won't get caught off guard.

It's not a problem unless you're driving aggressively, then it will come up and bite you, if you're not paying attention.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It is VDC...It depends if it has the package...it is approx $795.00 for the VDC package....More than likely I would say it has it...What other options does it have and I could figure it out...

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
The problem with VDC (and the major gripe I have with Nissan) is that it is only available if you have the touring package. So, if you're MO is not loaded (well, minus entertainment and NAV), then you can't have it.

VDC should be available as an option on all models of a vehicle. I wanted VDC. Bad. But refuse to get the whole touring package just to get it.

I know you guys all harp on Consumer Reports and how they rate cars, but the consumer's union (who publishes the magazine) has done great things to help fix problems and loopholes in the auto industry. I noticed in the most recent issue (their big auto issue) that they talk about VDC packages and how they should be at least an option on EVERY MODEL OF EVERY VEHICLE. Now that might be a little extreme (does a Chevy Metro really need stability control?) but it's a pretty good article about it, and they're pushing to actually have it standard on all SUVs.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah even in 2003, the packages had different names, but I still had to purchase the premium and leather packages to get VDC. Sneaky marketing ploy by Nissan.

I agree with CR - stability control should be standard on all trucks, SUVs, and minivans.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you can get VDC and you haven't taken any professional driving (manuveuring course, etc.). Then I would same get it. For $795 (MSRP) vs. the cost of the car, it's worth it IMO.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So....If you have not taken a professional driving course you should opt for the VDC? No offense intended, but that says volumes about the MO's AWD system.

·
Registered
629 Posts
JeffC said:
So....If you have not taken a professional driving course you should opt for the VDC? No offense intended, but that says volumes about the MO's AWD system.
I think what mozman (correct me if I'm wrong mozman...) meant was that the VDC is targeted towards novice and/or unsure snow/ice drivers, vs. an experienced snow/ice driver with a confident command of controlling a vehicle in those conditions, where it's really not necessary to have VDC.

I can control my MO just fine without VDC, but I recognize that it could easily get squirly in some cases for a lesser experienced snow driver (like my better half, who does not drive the MO in snow because she knows as well as I do she would not be able to handle it if the back end kicked out or something).

The MO's AWD system is fine for what it is. It wasn't meant to be a Jeep Quadra-Trac competitor. I think there are some areas where they could (and hopefully will in future model years) improve the dynamics of the system to make it behave a little better, but as far as snow/ice driving, I think the MO does very very well. The open differential gave me a little trouble (my own ignorance) when I got the MO buried in door-panel-deep snow, but other than that, it held it's own quite well.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would kindly caution against generalizing that VDC is a safety aid for only inexperienced drivers. VDC is useful for almost all types of driving situations, and can help even the most experienced driver drive more safely. It is not meant to be a performance aid, since better performance while cornering can be achieved with the system turned off (if you are pushing it at 10/10ths). However for the other 99.9% of the time, it should be left on.

I have driven my share of autocross events and consider myself a decent driver, and I was very happy to get VDC since it does prevent accidents during abrupt maneuvers. True, most of time VDC is there but you do not use it, but you'll be happy you have it when it activates in an emergency.

Saying VDC is for novice or rookies is akin to what people said about ABS brakes a decade ago - "i.e. I don't like the idea that the car can brake better than I can" - well I know of no human being that can pump the brakes 100 times a second like ABS does.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Eric L. said:
I would kindly caution against generalizing that VDC is a safety aid for only inexperienced drivers. VDC is useful for almost all types of driving situations, and can help even the most experienced driver drive more safely. ....
Oh, I agree with you. I think perhaps I stated my point poorly, I didn't really mean that it was only for inexeperienced drivers, although I can see that it came across that way.

I am among the group who did not want to get the touring package just so I could get VDC, and as such, I find that I get along fine without it. I don't feel that I need it, although, I may eat those words someday when I have to make a quick defensive maneuver on an icy road.

c'est la vie. :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Not a problem special-k. I too found it very annoying that I had to buy $3500 worth of options to be able to pay $750 for VDC. However when considering an SUV, I decided VDC was a must, so I bit the bullet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mariasmurano is looking for a vehicle for his wife (and kiddies) to drive in snowy conditions. The MO is OK for me (lots of track time and experience drifting cars in the snow for fun), and it's a ton-o-fun on dry roads, but would you recommend it for his wife and kids? Obviously, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
301 Posts
JeffC said:
No offense taken and hopefully none offended. It wasn't intended to bash the AWD system. Besides the AWD and VDC work for different reasons. There's a discussion on the differences on the forum.

special-K, thanks for trying to clarify my short unclarified statement. My point being that VDC is worth having (IMO). I meant that professional driving courses teach you how to properly handle your car in a number of situations. i.e keep your car moving forward in the direction intended. That is what the VDC does. So while a trained driver would be able to do that much easier than one who is not, it would be worth having VDC installed. I hope that clears things up.

I agree that it does stink that you have to pick up other options just to get VDC. VDC should be an option for anyone, better yet standard. Luckily or me I wanted the touring pkg. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts