Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm considering buying an AWD SL MO with sunroof at the expense of the NAV system. I have a bunch of questions some of you may be better able to offer insight into...

Is this a wise decision? Does the AWD really help much in the rain or snow? I'm in norcal and don't go to Tahoe that much so snow isn't really a big concern. The roads do get a bit slick in the wet though as they sometimes have oil, etc., on them. Is AWD really worth it for those conditions?

Also, I've read all about the cool stuff some of you have done with your Nav systems. I guess I'm wondering if there is an aftermarket option that would be just as good (or maybe better and cheaper) than using the stock Nav system. I'd like to have DVDs, mp3s, Xbox or PS/2, GPS, and maybe SAT capability someday...Is there a good display out there that can handle this stuff?

Finally, are aftermarket sunroofs any good? Do they leak or compromise the headliner or structural integrity of the vehicle more than the factory ones? Just kicking around ideas to save a few $K as I'm on a budget....but I don't want to be penny wise...

Love the MO and am trying to make it work...

Thanks!!

·
4,601 Posts
Get them both and eat the extra cost. You'll regret any other path in hindsight.

If you had to lose one, then the AWD. Most of the time, it's not engaged, but you will miss it launching off the paint strip at the stop light or stop sign. (And when it first starts to rain, and in the snow and gravel and dirt roads, and across your neighbors lawn....)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Based on a few threads on this site, it sounds like there are no aftermarket NAV systems that are nearly as slick and integrated as the one you get from the factory. I have both NAV and AWD and agree that if you can swing it, get both.

If I had to make the choice to keep just one, I would keep the NAV. And not just because of the NAV functions. Everything just displays nicer on the NAV screen, from music info, trip meter, tire pressure readings, etc. Also, you get the backup camera, which comes in handy as well.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think if you want the best margin of safety on wet roads, FWD with VDC is a better option than AWD without VDC. I lived in the SF Bay Area for 20+ years and AWD is not necessary there. For Tahoe snow though, AWD would be helpful.

In either case, I highly recommend the stability control (VDC) whichever way you go. You will not regret it.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Did not see it mentioned so I will say it:

DO NOT GET AFTER MARKET SUNROOF.

I have never seen one that did not start to leak.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
FWD only IMHO, No transfer case problem potential, Not hassle with AWD switches etc. I lived in Los Gatos and IMO you will be happy with FWD only. Less maintaince, repair worries also. GRIP :D

·
4,601 Posts
Ahhh... Great minds think alike...:D

(My Mother also told me "Fools seldom differ.", but we'll leave that one out!)

·
4,994 Posts
And don't forget the one about "You don't know what (it is) that you don't know" GRIP :D

·
4,601 Posts
Well that was true until you spoiled it by telling me...

Then there's the classic "I thought I was wrong once, but it turned out I made a mistake and I was right!"

·
4,994 Posts
Just love being a "Spoiler" GRIP :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
For my lifestyle, the NAV has no value. A map costs $2.
For my lifestyle, the AWD is one of the reasons I bought the vehicle.
And if you want a sunroof, get the factory unit. It is a $1000CAN option, an aftermarket unit would be around $1600 installed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
GripperDon said:
FWD only IMHO, No transfer case problem potential, Not hassle with AWD switches etc. I lived in Los Gatos and IMO you will be happy with FWD only. Less maintaince, repair worries also. GRIP :D
One less badge to remove from the tailgate for those so inclined !!

·
4,994 Posts
HuskyFan

And Man is that stickey tape hard to get off! Every little bit helps. GRIP :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I usually remove badges before the idiots do it with a screwdriver and damage the paint. If I sell, I still have the badges! And good paint! :D

·
5,244 Posts
I have FWD without NAV and VDC. I do have leather and sunroof. I live in Atlanta so snow is not a problem. Looking back I should have gotten VDC. AWD is not necessary unless you live in snow belt.

My FX is AWD with VDC and it worked wonders a couple weeks ago when we had freezing rain.

NAV is great. However as I travel a lot and I really need something I can take from car to car (I drive rentals almost on a daily basis!). My next car will have NAV though.

If I were to choose between NAV and AWD I would go for NAV.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts