Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Murano Life flash before my eyes last night. I was in rush hour freeway traffic on the way home from work. the traffic started to break up and everyone accelerated to make up the time lost, as I crested a hill the car in front was at a dead stop. I slammed on the brakes and thought of the up coming impact and how my MO would look after kissing the car in front. This car stops on a dime. I have never stopped in such a short distance and without skidding. My next thought was how hard the guy behind me was going to hit me and if I was now going to have a smashed back end from him and a smashed front end from being pushed into the car in front and what this will mean to my insurance. As I prepared for the impact I glanced into the rear view mirror and saw the guy behind didn't have the awesome brakes I have and was still going 40-50 mph. He had no chance to stop but luckily the carpool lane was there and he swerved into it and flew on by. Mo brakes 1, smashed up car and higher insurance 0. :2:

·
Registered
160 Posts
WOW!!! :eek: So glad to hear that you are ok! And secondly to hear that your MO is ok! Count your lucky stars... and thank the Big Guy above!:4:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I second this!

I was driving in a rural part of northern Illinois this weekend when two deer appeared out of no where in front of me. I had no choice but to close my eyes, slam on the brakes and hope I didn't hit them too hard - after I re-opened my eyes I looked out the front windshield and there were two deer standing about 2 feet in front of the Murano scared crapless.

I was really impressed with the Murano's brakes - I hope I don't have to slam them again, but I felt like I had control the whole time and the stopping distance was very impressive. My old car would have sent some deer flying... :21:

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
IMHO I feel that the brake pedal is too soft. I'd like to try some harder pads and see if that improves overall braking and feel. Maybe some ceramic pads?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
LKimura said:
IMHO I feel that the brake pedal is too soft. I'd like to try some harder pads and see if that improves overall braking and feel. Maybe some ceramic pads?
Wait until Porterfield makes brakepads for the Murano. Their carbon kevlar pads are absolutely fantastic.

·
4,601 Posts
The Murano's braking system shortens your stopping distance by watching how fast the pedal is travelling. If you're slamming on the brakes, it anticipates that and actually hammers them on before your foot would actually be able to travel far enough to do it.

Get on to an empty road and give the pedal a quick jab, but not all the way and you'll see the brakes will really grab. Apply them slowly and they react totally different. It's truly awesome and I love the system.

·
5,244 Posts
you are right jaak,

the only problem i have are the cars behind me. Since I started driving MO I started watching how close other cars are following me. One reason only - I know they could not stop as quickly as I would!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Kris said:
you are right jaak,

the only problem i have are the cars behind me. Since I started driving MO I started watching how close other cars are following me. One reason only - I know they could not stop as quickly as I would!
Yeah that is something I unconciously do as well, as soon as I slam on the brakes, I don't look ahead of me, I look behind! I have observed many situations where I stopped quickly with the Murano (well sort of quickly, it wasn't like I was flooring the brake pedal), and the car behind me had to panic stop and I hear screeching tires. Makes me realize how good the Murano's brakes really are!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Another thing that makes the good brakes potentially dangerous is the transmission.

People tend to ride up on me because of the engine braking.
So they are often too close even before I brake.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
hfelknor said:
Another thing that makes the good brakes potentially dangerous is the transmission.

People tend to ride up on me because of the engine braking.
So they are often too close even before I brake.

Homer
Compared to other automatics I've driven, I don't notice any more engine braking with the CVT. I guess it depends what car you drove before.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Quite probably so.

My last auto was a 97 Chrysler Mini, It virtually freewheeled when you let off the gas.
Of course for a vehicle that weighed about the same as the MO and had a larger engine, it got better MPG too......without the so called advantages of a CVT. I suspect the gear ratio was numerically very very low.

If I cared just a bit more I would run a poll to see what people thought of the engine braking on the MO compared to their last cars or what they see on the road. I know some (Chris?) have commented on this also.

But I don't care that much and I think you are right anyway. I doubt that all autos work the same way under those conditions.

Homer

·
4,601 Posts
I do the same, look in the rear when I have brake quickly.... However, I found that leaving the nice shiny chrome trailer hitch ball in the back makes most ijits keep back further.

The fixate on the ball and think about how well it would puncture their bumper, rad, engine block.... 5mph bumpers don't work so well against it...:D

·
Registered
487 Posts
There's jaak again, mentioning his hitch... :p

Hitches, spare tires, and bike racks frighten me.

·
4,601 Posts
See, it works... Even on the rest of that aren't ijits...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts