Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ITS MARCH 23 2005 SPRING, I LIVE IN WESTCHESTER NY AND ITS SNOWING LIKE A MOTHER! I TOOK MY WIFES 05 SL AWD MURANO OUT IN THE SNOW TO PLAY...AND LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING....UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!! THIS THING CAN ONLY BE EXPLAINED AS A TANK IN THE SNOW..I TOOK TURNS FAST, DEAD STOPS ON HILLS COVERED UNPLOWED, ICY SPOTS THIS CAR IS MADE FOR SNOW....YOU ACTUALLY FELL THE AWD SYSTYM KICK IN LIKE YOUR BEING PULLED TO THE FLOOR...ITS AWESOME, NOW KEEP IN MIND I DID THIS ALL IN A PRIVATE CONDO DEVELOPMENT. AND I WAS DRIVING FAR FROM CAUTIOUS,, SO NORMAL SNOW CONDITIONS YOU WILL BE VERY VERY HAPPY AND SAFE, ALOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE *****ED ABOUT HTE AWD SYSTYM, SAYING IT WAS HORRIBLE IN THE SNOW, THE TIRES SUCK,,MAYBE THERE DRIVING SUCKS AND THERE DRIVING IN CONDTIOINS WAY ABOVE THE MEANS OF ANY VEHICLE......A TANK HAS NO GRIP ON ICE...SO WHY WOULD A SUV... THIS CAR IS AWESOME IM VERY HAPPY WITH MY WIFES CHOICE,,,ANY OTHER HAPPY MO OWNERS WHO LOVE IT IN THE SNOW PLEASE TELL ME !!!!!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have driving it in the snow and in very heavy rain. I agree it handles very very well. I was impressed with it in heavy rain as well.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have the same feelings about driving the Mo in the snow. I feel totally in control while driving in thise snow filled conditions. Please drive safely in those snowy conditions

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
same here.... love the mo in snow...... but my wife is still scared of an ALMOST crash from last year.... her car spun 180 degrees on the express way but luckily there was no one coming from behind.... and ever since then, she has never trusted the cars.... it was a Ford Taurus with the snow tires...... but when its FORD, even a F1 specs wouldnt matter......

so she drives like an "OLD LADY IN FAST LANE" kinda way, which makes me very uncomfortable..... but cant complain since she loves the mo as much as i do.....

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have done the same in ice ocvered empty parking lot and driven like a 'crazy drunk idiot', but MO drove like 'in control', I also have VDC and it handles incredible.

I sped, and the braked while making a sharp S turn, can't have her lose control, hit accelerator from stop, can't get her to skid.

Agree, it is awsome. I treat this capabillity as an insurance, and dont let it go to my head and still drive carefully on a real road though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is great to know. I have had mine about a month and have yet had the opportunity to drive in the snow. It makes me feel better knowing how well it does!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree. the Murano is great in the snow, except in slushy conditions. I almost completely lost it following a Mercedes M320 going around a corner in some slush. The Murano just kept going straight into the other lane. Was quite scary, but luckily there were no cars coming the opposite direction. I am not sure if it was the vehicle or the tires, but I was only doing about 20mph and was driving through the rain/snow line in the mountains going downhill. It did much better in the snow...My guess is something like that is more a function of the tires, especially if the Mercedes had no problems was was probably going a little bit faster than me.

·
Registered
842 Posts
ekaxel said:
EdMPT:
Stock Gy tires?
If he doesn't, I do use GDY tires.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
mo in the snow. not so happy with it. scarry stuff sometimes if the awd kicks in at the wrong time and the back end starts drifting out. the awd system itself is fine it's just the tires are absolutely horrendous. i hate the goodyears with a passion. we got some new tires for the winter for our 99 gmc sierra. they are bridgestone deuler a/t revo. thinking about getting at set of those in 17's and winter rims for next year. they have amazing snow traction and well all terrain traction. but the mo's gotten us through 2 prarie winters safely. so i commend it on that. even though the frist winter was with an untunned rear suspension which caused the rear end to slip and slid from side to side because the camber was thrown off during shipping which caused the tires to wear prematurely. but this winters been better with everything in order. now, if only the service department would stop breaking sutff everytime we go in for maintanence.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The weather here the past week started with freezing rain immediately followed by a huge dump of snow. The road conditions were horrible.

I had recently mounted a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires and the effects were profound. They provide a noticeable improvement in traction and control, very confidence inspiring. I put these on some AT mags so it will be easy to change back to the goodyears for summer.

Who is your dealer nissanlove that is breaking stuff?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Funny you should say that. We had snow in Toronto the other night. When I woke up to head into work on Thursday, there was LOTS of snow on the ground. As I'm a new owner, I thought I'd monkey around to see what Mo was like in the snow. For the life of me, I couldn't make this thing slip!!! And that was even before I put into AWD.....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
trev, my dealer is ericksen nissan. they do something wrong just about everytime but i havn't had a problem with them having it fixxed right away. this last visit they had to send it to a body shop to take off the liscence plate because the screws were actualy siezed to the car. they didn't have to right tool so they sent it away. got it back 2 days later and noticed that the trim on the inside rear hatch was cracked on either side. so now we gotta take it back in sometime next week. they've pretty much fixed everything other than the creaking in the drivers side door and the damn rear wiper. it keeps rapping on the rear window everytime we go over a bump in the road. i'm thinking the retainer spring isn't strong enough. i wonder if the wiper off the 05 mo's can be put on the 04 and earlier ones. ohh an i havn't wshed the mo in about 2 weeks which is really depressing for me. looks like i won't for a bit longer since were in another major meltdown after the big dump of snow we had this past week.

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
^^ same condition here man... last weekend was the worst... 4 days of continous flurries and piles of snow.... cant believe it was spring when i had to shovel...... damn prairie winters......
well, for the past couple of days it has been really nice and sunny.... so keeping fingers croseed to melt off all the snow and then im gonna do the car wash and waxing of the MO.

·
Registered
470 Posts
crash said:
Funny you should say that. We had snow in Toronto the other night. When I woke up to head into work on Thursday, there was LOTS of snow on the ground. As I'm a new owner, I thought I'd monkey around to see what Mo was like in the snow. For the life of me, I couldn't make this thing slip!!! And that was even before I put into AWD.....
You Murano is always in AWD when needed and you can't turn it off. The AWD switch is only when you are stuck and need a little extra help to get moving .

·
4,601 Posts
You mean it's always in 2 WD and goes into AWD when it perceives the need. (Which is slightly after you would have liked it on.)

Nissanlove is right about the rear wheels kicking in at the wrong time, which is usually when you gas it in a corner. I've written about this numerous times. The solution in those conditions is the AWD switch, turned on.

If you take it easy in the snow, it works fine. If you're aggressive in the snow, AWD on.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
whoa jaak 3002 posts holy molly. i can't wait till i hit a thousand. and thanks for bein on my side with the awd kicking in at the wrong time thing. i don't blame the mo. i blame goodyears for selling cheepo crapo tires.

·
Registered
261 Posts
mariasmurano said:
OK ITS MARCH 23 2005 SPRING, I LIVE IN WESTCHESTER NY AND ITS SNOWING LIKE A MOTHER! I TOOK MY WIFES 05 SL AWD MURANO OUT IN THE SNOW TO PLAY...AND LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING....UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!! THIS THING CAN ONLY BE EXPLAINED AS A TANK IN THE SNOW..I TOOK TURNS FAST, DEAD STOPS ON HILLS COVERED UNPLOWED, ICY SPOTS THIS CAR IS MADE FOR SNOW....YOU ACTUALLY FELL THE AWD SYSTYM KICK IN LIKE YOUR BEING PULLED TO THE FLOOR...ITS AWESOME, NOW KEEP IN MIND I DID THIS ALL IN A PRIVATE CONDO DEVELOPMENT. AND I WAS DRIVING FAR FROM CAUTIOUS,, SO NORMAL SNOW CONDITIONS YOU WILL BE VERY VERY HAPPY AND SAFE, ALOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE *****ED ABOUT HTE AWD SYSTYM, SAYING IT WAS HORRIBLE IN THE SNOW, THE TIRES SUCK,,MAYBE THERE DRIVING SUCKS AND THERE DRIVING IN CONDTIOINS WAY ABOVE THE MEANS OF ANY VEHICLE......A TANK HAS NO GRIP ON ICE...SO WHY WOULD A SUV... THIS CAR IS AWESOME IM VERY HAPPY WITH MY WIFES CHOICE,,,ANY OTHER HAPPY MO OWNERS WHO LOVE IT IN THE SNOW PLEASE TELL ME !!!!!

I live in Rockland and work in westchester I aggree.Great in the snow

GO MO:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts