Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am not quite as organized as the guy I work with who will buy his son's first car when the son reaches 12. That way, the kid inherits a 4-year-old car at age 16.

For several reasons, it is time for a 2nd and maybe a 3rd car around here:

* reduce mileage on the leased puppies
* cheap, local errand-runner
* car for a driver learning (you should see the insurance rates on a new car for a new driver!).

When was the last time you shopped the used car market (under $3000)?

Yeech. My first stop is always mechanics I know, then neighbours, private sales, and I try to avoid used car dealers.

We decided on a 10-year-old Oldsmobile (just about any model, 9-15 years old). Along comes a gem (granny-driven in summer, and this is factual and verified). She gave it to her nephew (18 years old).

He figures he just won the lottery. This car must be worth the price of a new house (no cruise, shocks seized from lack of use, A/C busted). Well, kid, here's my offer, and you have about 2 days to think about it, because by Saturday (yesterday), we have to buy something.

Who drives old Oldsmobils? Old people do. They remember when an American car was a good car, despite the facts. They bought it new, still have it, and some are so sentimentally attached to the car that I felt like I was trying to steal their false teeth and their firstborn.

One guy refused to recognize that the rust on his baby was about to render it scrap-yard-worthy.

He came to his senses (in terms of the price I would pay) about an hour after I bought the Blue Bambino: 92 Ciera front-wheel-drive, from a dealer!

Oddly enough, when these guys trade them in (for next to nothing) on their new Olds Baby (last chance to get a new Olds: they will be discontinued), the dealer knows exactly what to do with it. Get rid of it to a used car dealer, who knows exactly what to do with it. Get rid of it.

The car looks good, which I added to my list of criteria (that took me out of the $1000 car market). A $2000 car is a $1000 car that looks better.

The dealer's neutral detachment (in terms of the vehicle) made it a lot easier than these driveway negotiations ("But I went to my father's funeral in this car? How can you offer me $2500 for it? Have you no heart?").

All the paperwork was done in 10 minutes. Finishing up the MVB will take another hour. One phone call to insurance and I'm done.

Now I can sell PF (clean and empty and not being driven), and wait for MO.

I can't believe I enjoyed dealing with a used car salesman! Oh, well, must be getting old. Proof: I'm driving an Oldsmobile.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally Motors

Enforcer said:
Well, at least it's not a Buick! :rolleyes:
I looked at a Park Avenue. I mistook many Chevs and Pontiacs for the Oldsmobiles we looked at (Tempest was one), which reinforces my take on GM: For most models, there is the Chevy flavour of it, the Pontiac flavour (nicer plastic, $100 more to buy), the Buick flavour (really nice plastic, nicer fabric, $1,000 more), and the Oldsmobile flavour of it (great plastic, ScotchGarded nicer fabric, and some electric stuff, plus A/C standard, not optional) for $2,000 more.

Had we found the right Buick, it would have been here instead. We're in the Beater+ category on this one... winter car category... learn-to-drive category. GM is useful for this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts