Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
They had a bad batch (in late 2003) and had many went bad in short period. When I took mine in they said they don't have a part available due to the high demand. I called and ***** abut it to Hawaii Nissan, and somehow they manage to have one avilable immediately. They must have taken one off the show room car or something. Other than that... I am having a good luck with mine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yup. Mine went south after about 12K km. Phoned the dealership, had a new one (improved) installed 3 days later. No problems since. As mentioned by yoyash, they told me about a bad batch on the 03's and weren't surprised when mine died. If I remember correctly, I think the bad ones were manufactured by Hitachi.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Add another alternator to the list. Mine went bad at around 17.5K miles. This on a Murano originally purchased in July 2003. The frustrating part was that it failed while on a trip out of town. But the good news is AAA towed me to the dealer and the part was in stock and fixed in one day. The service lead said it was the second Murano alternator replacement they had done.

Bob

·
Registered
83 Posts
Add another one to the list. 20,000 miles.

One think you may want to think about is have them upgrade it instead of just exchanging for OEM. I didn't think about it until after it was too late.

Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alternator

At 1,000 mi the brake and battery light came on. Bought in May 2003. Dealer replaced alternator.

Also, a more serious problem... At 500 miles, I noticed the slight smell of coolant. I chalked it up to engine coating burnoff. Being very busy, I let it go until 5000 mi when I noticed the reservoir was nearly empty. When I took it to the dealer, the service advisor smelled it , but the tech could not find a leak. Anyone else had or heard of this problem? It still persists, and two dealers have just shrugged their shoulders. I'm about to go lemon law on this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

·
4,664 Posts
Knock on wood, my alternator has been fine so far...

I had the smell of coolant once, same thing, the dealer couldn't find anything. It's never happened since and that was last fall. Only lasted a few days.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have been losing coolant also. Dealer tried to tell me it was normal variation which is BS. I am tracking the level and will take it back in again when it drops.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ours went at around 6 or 7K miles. Towed and replaced the next day at no charge. Frustrating to have happen the night of my Mother-in-Laws 50th B-Day (which my wife and I payed for a private room w/open bar) but such is life. Luckily, I was still at home and my wife was on her way to setup so my trusty Maxima to the rescue!

I meet her, she took the Max and I waited for the tow.

Side note: Its amazing how many people will get behind a car with its hazzards on and honk like hell when the light turns green and you don't move. Did I mention I was standing behind the car too??lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine died over the weekend, at only 18K km. I should have my MO back by Monday. I'm driving a loaner(Sentra), too small for me.
It seems is not unusual with the '03 models. Nissan should recall them.

·
4,664 Posts
I bet the manufacturer of the Alternator has a process problem and the regulator heat sink is not attached properly. This would cause the regulator to overheat over time and fry itself.

Anyone heard why they're failing? I seem to remember there was a bad batch.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Jaak, with Nissan in general, there has been a bad batch for years.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yes, the 4th gen (95-99) Maxima and current gen Altima (2002+) have had a history of bad alternators. I believe the alternators were manufactured by Hitachi.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
hfelknor said:
Jaak, with Nissan in general, there has been a bad batch for years.

Homer
Homer,
Welcome back man...glad to see you back posting on this site!
----------------
Back on topic, I am getting close to the 10,000 mark and that seems to be where most people are experiencing a bad alternator...I'm going to be on alert over the next 3,000 miles.

·
4,664 Posts
That's insane, it should be a stock part.... Well unless they ran out of them!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Ran out

That's insane, it should be a stock part.... Well unless they ran out of them!
Like the CVT's they ran out of and now they're giving new cars. Can't they pull one out of a car on the lot? I guess they don't want to sacrifice a possible sale for servicing an existing owner. Or it's possible that the ones on the lot are bad as well and they've just decicded to deal with it on an as is basis after the sale.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My MO, 9,600 miles, bit the bullet with the dual idiot lights (brake and battery). It's at the dealer - thanks to this forum I was able to talk with him about getting it in NOW and GIVING us a loaner. Before I read this forum the dealer just played it off like nothing, saying drop it off on Friday and we'll look at it. Because I read this forum I asked him if he had an alternator in stock. He said he didn't, there was one MO that just came in today with same problem, and when we dropped the MO off there were two other MO's also in with same problem.

Long story short - they don't have an alternator and according to them there is a NATIONAL backorder on the part. They told us to take out goodies out of the MO, said it may be a while... at least they are picking up the cost of the loaner.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts