Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This engine was posted on ebay today. Anyone seen these symptoms/explanation?

"This 2003 3.5L V6 (VIN'H") was removed from a nissan Murano. The motor smokes briefly when first started and the valve guide seals are the suspect. Nissan recomended to have the motor cleaned to remove heavy oil residue wich is the cause for the seal failure. To much work for me, so I replaced it with a new one. I put 40 thousand miles on this motor last year and it ran great other than the occasional smoking at startup. The motor comes with brand new valve guide seals packaged seperately. If I had the time I would have disassembled part of the motor and cleaned it thoroughly and reinstalled it. This is my recommendation to you. The only part which was i thought was bad (the valve guide seals) is coming with it. Also, after cleaning it, change the Valve positioning sensors with your old ones, they are shorted out, (accident vai a trouble shooting process, sorry). The motor is smooth running, has absolutly NO knocking, hauls butt, and had always ben very dependable. This comes with an engine still assembled, with all the sensors on it. "

·
5,244 Posts
Very interesting. If this guy does not have time to fix it why does not he pay for the service? I am not sure what to think about it....

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
The seller indicated he put 40,000 miles on the engine last year. Seeing that the motor came from a 2003 MO, and the seller puts 40K miles per year, it is possible for the motor to have well over 100k miles.

I would have thought it would have been a whole lot cheaper to replace the seals that the whole engine.

-njjoe

·
Registered
781 Posts
Slightly deceptive - I was thinking it had 40K on it which made me question why it wouldn't have been covered under warranty.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I put 40 thousand miles on this motor last year and it
Would this per chance mean that he put an additional 40K last year 2005?
2005 = 40K
2004 = 40K
2003 = 40K
==== 120K Maybe???

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would imagine it is surely more work to replace the entire engine than to change the valve guide seals. I would be very suspect for this particular engine.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If it sounds to good it probably is, I don't think the seller has told you everything

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a lot more curious about why "heavy oil residue".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts