Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,439 Posts
Did you treat the backs of tne pads with anti-squeal compound, and let it sit for the recommended time (if so labeled) before installation?

·
Registered
96 Posts
No, maybe I will try that next time. I use brake grease/lube and treat the areas on the pads that slide on the metal clips and I also treat the clips. Typically, I dont go crazy with all the extra additives when it comes to brake pads. I purchase mid grade ceramic pads, lubricant and brand new bottle of fluid to bleed. The squeeling canes and myself are referring to is superficial and temporary. Seems to be related to slight rotor surface dust/rust. Slight squeel goes away after a minute or two of driving with light pressure applied when braking.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No, maybe I will try that next time. I use brake grease/lube and treat the areas on the pads that slide on the metal clips and I also treat the clips. Typically, I dont go crazy with all the extra additives when it comes to brake pads. I purchase mid grade ceramic pads, lubricant and brand new bottle of fluid to bleed. The squeeling canes and myself are referring to is superficial and temporary. Seems to be related to slight rotor surface dust/rust. Slight squeel goes away after a minute or two of driving with light pressure applied when braking.
Also, I spray brake clean on most parts of brake system excluding any plastic or rubber parts. I do this after unbolting caliper, removing pads and clips.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also, I spray brake clean on most parts of brake system excluding any plastic or rubber parts. I do this after unbolting caliper, removing pads and clips.
Oh lol! Do you mean just applying the brake lube/grease to the piston area on the inside pad? If so, then yes lol. I guess I misunderstood when I read "compound". I'll be honest though, I may not wait the recommended amount of time required by the instructions. However, i usually get both front or back pads changed before starting the bleeding process, so perhaps I wait long enough. I guess never payed enough attention to that. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Lol I will read the instructions next time on the packet of grease.

·
Super Moderator
8,439 Posts
Sounds like a classic case of the brake pads vibrating on the rotors and causing the squeal.

Depends on what kind of "grease" you put on the backs of the pads where they contact the calipers and the piston(s) in those calipers. Actual grease must be a very high-temp grease or it will melt and run off, possibly contaminating the brake pads. IMO not the best way to go.

The better material is a thick brush-on material which takes a slight set. When I currently use is: "Noise Free DIsc Brake Squeal Silencer". It comes in the pad and rotor kits I buy from ECS Tuning, which is my source for pads and rotors. That stuff is brushed on; it's kind of a pink color and the directions tell me to let it sit for at least 15 minutes after applying it to the backs of the pads before installing them. The one time I didn't let it set up as instructed before installing the pads and caliper, my daughter's Mini had brake squeal.

Reactions: 2ndGenMaintainer
21 - 26 of 26 Posts