Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 and it smells like rich gas from the exhaust when driving and when idling and it does not go away. The exhaust tips are also covered in black soot-type stuff. I bought it at auction so it was a quick one and I didn’t notice it before purchase. Runs well just bad gas smell from exhaust while running. Any ideas?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just bought a 2005 and it smells like rich gas from the exhaust when driving and when idling and it does not go away. The exhaust tips are also covered in black soot-type stuff. I bought it at auction so it was a quick one and I didn’t notice it before purchase. Runs well just bad gas smell from exhaust while running. Any ideas?
Well, if you smell gasoline in the exhaust fumes after the engine is warmed up (and feel compelled to ask about it on an Internet forum) then it probably is running rich. Do you have access to a scanner that can read live data? If so, I'd look at the fuel trims and O2 sensor data as that should confirm a rich condition. You can also check the emissions readiness monitors and misfire counters (...you say the car "runs well" so presumably you don't detect any misfires?). I'd also check for pending DTCs as well as the time and distance since codes cleared as this might give you a clue that the car had an existing problem before you bought it and the seller cleared it before putting it up for auction.

As for physical things you can do if you haven't already: Pull the three spark plugs from the front cylinder bank and inspect them to see if they look fouled with carbon deposits and/or smell like gasoline (...you should be able to upload pics to the forum if you're unsure). Check that the air filter is clean and inspect the air intake tubing starting from the grille and going back to the throttle body to ensure no blockages. Look at the throttle plate and surrounding throttle body housing and make sure it doesn't look excessively dirty.

BTW...how many miles on the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and yes there is a check engine light on as well. It has 250,000km (CANADA) so it is quite a bit. Also you are correct I do not detect hesitation or missing in the engine. Runs quiet and smooth just quite strong gas smell. The smell is not under the hood either just the exhaust. I have to get it inspected by a certified mechanic before I can insure according to new rules up here so I’m sure I’ll get told what the issue is I just wanted an idea before I take it in. I appreciate your input! I’ll check the plugs and filters before I take it in. I’ve checked for loose or missing/disconnected hoses but don’t see anything. I’ll post on here after the inspection and see if we figured it out thanks again

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not sure if Canada is like the U.S., but over here most auto parts stores will pull the trouble codes for free (...it helps them sell parts :) ). If it's as rich as you describe, you may have more than one code. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Be sure to resolve the running rich problem ASAP. Unburned fuel can damage your catalytic converter. There are reports that this can cause debris from the damaged catalytic converter to be sucked back into your engine causing damage from the abrasive material resulting in excessive oil consumption...

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
The check engine light is telling you the problem exists. That will provide the info to fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Pilgrim
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing