Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CVT Failure at 90,000 miles

Well it is Mother's Day. I was driving down the road and bingo the transmission failed. I started slowing down even as I was trying to Accelerate. Stopped on side of the highway and the tranny would do nothing. No drive and no reverse. Would do nothing including increase the RPM's. Everything else works fine. Had it towed to the dealer. I am pretty upset and realize that even the resell value of the Mo is not that great even with the higher mileage I would have expected better resale value. Up to this point I would have bought another Mo. But, I am no longer sure that the CVT is worth the hassle. Maybe it is time to look at the Acura MDX. Sorry to report this problem but maybe it is a warning to all that the CVT may not make it the long haul.
I have had very good luck up until now.

Randy

·
4,664 Posts
Hmmm.... Engine won't rev?

MDX could have a transmission failure too, so don't beat yourself up there. The MDX is nice, but I'm not sure that I'd trade a Murano for one. The MDX is built in Canada, the Murano is built in Japan.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Keep us updated on what the cause of failure was. Right now, you are the best "case study" we have on a high mileage Murano.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Curious if its the throttle sensor. I would be willing to be it is not the CVT. Any takers?

·
Registered
256 Posts
What were the warning lights that showed up?

·
Registered
263 Posts
mmmmmmmmmm Not The CVT I guess

Gonzo said:
Curious if its the throttle sensor. I would be willing to be it is not the CVT. Any takers?
I guess it is not the cvt but the throttle motor or the TP sensor We do drive by wire now>>

We will see
:confused:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Warnings

No warning lights were on before or during the problem. About the Revs. It would rev up normally in Neutral or Park. But if the shifter was in Reverse or Drive it would take a long time to get the revs up. I am not sure exactly how the CVT works as I am a Nurse and not a mechanic but I have owned lots of cars and this was the weirdest feeling. The car seemed to work but when shifted into Drive the Mo would do nothing. No Go as they say. So I am thinking it is the CVT and not related to any throttle or fuel mechanism. As I said it would Rev normally in Park. After the tow truck drop me off at the dealer I started the Mo and still nothing except now the check engine light came on. Still No CVT light. I understand the tranny could go on a MDX but they are proven and the CVT on the MO is not. Anyone else out there with 90,000 miles? Maybe I am just the first of many. I hope not as I sincerely love the Mo and do not take lightly my comments. I will let you all know what the shop says.
Randy

·
4,664 Posts
While you are right that the CVT does not have the same decades of history of a conventional automatic, I wouldn't say they're not proven, as they've been in use in one form or another, for over a decade. I'm sure the Murano's CVT has been through a great deal of testing. I do recall it being said that it was designed to last the life of the vehicle (whatever that means) but I would certainly expect 90K to be premature. Nissan doesn't need the bad press of numerous transmission failures. (Or alternators)

Good luck with the repairs and let us know how it works out.

I'd also love to hear what you did to get 90K out of your Goodyears, as there may be some good tips for the rest of us! Mine got only a third of that, before the tread wear bars started poking through in spots.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tires

JAAK,
I really did nothing special. Rotated the tires every 7500 miles and filled them to 36 PSI. I drive mostly highway miles. They were cupped a little but they still have a little wear left. I see no tread wear indicators or anything like that.
I just do not try and spin them or slam the brakes and skid. I do have VDC and Antilock but nothing special.
I will let you know what the dealer says about the CVT. Also I looked at the 2005 Merlot SE while I was at the dealer. Sweet. Maybe it is just time for a new MO!
Let us see how it goes with the CVT!
Randy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bad news!!!

Well My Nissan dealer called and said it needed a new CVT at the tune of $6020.00
The dealer said that Nissan will not allow them to fix the Transmission and that they have not had training the parts or books on the CVT. You all should know that there are no servicable parts according to my dealer in the CVT and that replacement is the only option. So there you go. I guess I will not be buying another MO nor would I suggest any one else buy one. If they would have told me upfront that If I ever had CVT problems the only recourse is another CVT then I would not have bought the MO.

I guesss that this is a warning to all of you MO owners. The CVT may not be made to go the distance. I drive very carefully and now I am out 6 grand. I can not even think about trading in it because the resale value is pitiful with 90,000 miles and I have had it only 19 mos.
Sorry for the bad news.
Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bad news about the CVT!!!

Well My Nissan dealer called and said it needed a new CVT at the tune of $6020.00
The dealer said that Nissan will not allow them to fix the Transmission and that they have not had training the parts or books on the CVT. You all should know that there are no servicable parts according to my dealer in the CVT and that replacement is the only option. So there you go. I guess I will not be buying another MO nor would I suggest any one else buy one. If they would have told me upfront that If I ever had CVT problems the only recourse is another CVT then I would not have bought the MO.

I guesss that this is a warning to all of you MO owners. The CVT may not be made to go the distance. I drive very carefully and now I am out 6 grand. I can not even think about trading in it because the resale value is pitiful with 90,000 miles and I have had it only 19 mos.
Sorry for the bad news.
Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
is it not covered under the warranty? Just curious if you have one. Or if you had one, would it be covered.

·
Registered
256 Posts
wow...wonder if there's any recourse thru Nissan NA?
90K is very premature for a tranny these days...
Your proof of not abusing the trans will be the longevity of your tires and the required maintenance you adhered to. Always worth a shot to talk to a district manager. If they don't replace for you then might meet you half way. Chevy did that for me on my 'burban.

·
4,664 Posts
The price is interesting, considering they were saying the CVT would be less expensive to replace than a conventional automatic. And yes, they did say up front that the whole thing has to be replaced as a unit. Sounds like major dealer profit is involved. Or NNA profit.

(Merged duplicate threads and left redirect.)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Bad news!!!

ivnurse said:

Sorry for the bad news.
Randy
Yeah I would give Nissan North America a call to see if they will extend the goodwill warranty to your vehicle. You do have a lot of miles, but you never know what they will do. Maybe even something like "Nissan will pay for the labor to install it" but you pay for the part is better than nothing.

Did the dealer tell you what code the ECU threw? Would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NNA

Anyone have the number to NNA.
I will call them though I am sure it will not do much good.
Sorry, I am just so pissed off right now.
If anyone has the number I would appreciate it.
Randy

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: NNA

ivnurse said:
Anyone have the number to NNA.
I will call them though I am sure it will not do much good.
Sorry, I am just so pissed off right now.
If anyone has the number I would appreciate it.
Randy
1-800-NISSAN-1

·
5,268 Posts
I feel sorry for you. Please keep us informed. I would like to see the RCFA for the tranny.

CVT was one of the reasons I have 5 years 100k warranty. I do not intend to keep it any longer.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I certainly feel for you Randy, and agree there is a very good chance that Nissan will do something for you here.

I'd spin it as Nissan ought to be very interested in determining exactly what failed and why as yours has to be one of, if not the first CVT failure at 90K miles.

I think the original goodyears on the vehicle indicate NO ABUSE in your driving methods as I twice before got 90k on the stock tires (back in my 175 miles per day commuting days).

Try the CVT failure research angle with NNA and see what happens, maybe a local TV station's consumer reporter might be interested in this story, given how the CVT improves mileage and such?

I really doubt Nissan wants this information published out in the public domain. Murano sales would potentially drop very, very quickly, IMO.

Two weeks ago, on Saturday morning at 35,948 miles, I dropped $1,680 at the Nissan dealer for an extended Gold, 0 deductible, 100K 72 month extended warranty. I feel better about that expense today.

·
Registered
631 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
Two weeks ago, on Saturday morning at 35,948 miles, I dropped $1,680 at the Nissan dealer for an extended Gold, 0 deductible, 100K 72 month extended warranty. I feel better about that expense today.
Not to threadjack... but when I bought my MO I put the 5yr/60,000 (0 deductable, gold, whatever) warranty on it... when that comes close to expiration, will I have the option of extending it? If at that time I plan on keeping the MO longer, I'd like to push it maybe to 100,000 miles or something...

1 - 20 of 115 Posts