Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first real post, bought a 2004 SE Murano AWD. When bought, it had a bit higher mileage 183K but overall really nice shape. I do have a problem (i knew about this hence the good price ) When im driving the Murano It will track Straight, but when i make a hard left or right hand turn the car will start to pull me in that direction and will not cent adjust until i go the opposite direction and then it wants to pull me that way. When i bought it the guy said he had fire stone look at it and they assumed rack and pinion bushings, but i feel like its something more than that. Any help would be advised, i crawled under there and nothing looked really worn out .

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,201 Posts
Hey all, first real post, bought a 2004 SE Murano AWD. When bought, it had a bit higher mileage 183K but overall really nice shape. I do have a problem (i knew about this hence the good price ) When im driving the Murano It will track Straight, but when i make a hard left or right hand turn the car will start to pull me in that direction and will not cent adjust until i go the opposite direction and then it wants to pull me that way. When i bought it the guy said he had fire stone look at it and they assumed rack and pinion bushings, but i feel like its something more than that. Any help would be advised, i crawled under there and nothing looked really worn out .
You've got to do more than just look. You need to use a pry bar and try to move things to see if there's excessive movement. Don't forget to check out the subframe bushings as if those are worn they can cause alarming handling problems.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
It sounds like a worn steering rack with swollen seals. Take a look at and smell the PS fluid to see if it's in good condition. If it has is dark and/or burnt smell, have a flush performed. It might bring it back.

If fluid looks good, then you'll probably need to replace the rack. Save money later by replacing hoses at the same time.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
8,660 Posts
I agree with Paul - it sounds to me like the rack teeth are jamming in position when you turn, and it requires force for the rack to come loose and turn back That's not a good situation. Also, as noted above, look carefully at the mounts holding the rack in position, as movement there can be part of the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like a worn steering rack with swollen seals. Take a look at and smell the PS fluid to see if it's in good condition. If it has is dark and/or burnt smell, have a flush performed. It might bring it back.

If fluid looks good, then you'll probably need to replace the rack. Save money later by replacing hoses at the same time.

Have a good day.
I agree with Paul - it sounds to me like the rack teeth are jamming in position when you turn, and it requires force for the rack to come loose and turn back That's not a good situation. Also, as noted above, look carefully at the mounts holding the rack in position, as movement there can be part of the problem.
I am going to work on it tomorrow , but the more i read, it may just be worth it to just replace the whole rack and pinion regardless, anything i should know, tips or tricks?

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
With the miles the car has, be sure to check both tie rod ends. If they seem "floppy" when removed, replace them even if they don't show excessive movement under normal testing. If "floppy", the ball cup is worn down and the tie rod is on it's way out, sooner then later.

I always recommend replacing both hoses at the rack. They take a lot of heat and abuse.

4 wheel alignment when completed.

Have a good day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts