Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To bad my first post is in regards to a problem with my Murano....
Anyway, I've been researching this forum looking for answers and have found a lot of alarming posts in terms of major failure on what is relatively new low-mileage vehicles.

My symptoms are as follows: The check engine light came on, the car would barely accelerate, max speed was ~40mph, RPM's would rev to 5,000 RPM but would get there very slowly, and the car wouldn't rev above 2K when in park or neutral. I'm worried it is the CVT, but the dealership pulled the code and they say it is the throttle body. Granted, I haven't had much time to look into how everything works (I've only owned the car for 48 hrs), but I can't imagine the throttle body causing the issues I've had.

So, can the CVT be magically fixed if the car is turned off and back on, as in it's been sitting at the dealership all night?
It's a 2005 SL FWD with 21,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I think they meant to say "throttle position sensor" and yes there have been reports that turning the car off and then on resolved it as a band aid fix. Do a seach and you will find loads of information on this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be, I think they might have meant TPS. Anyway my wife has it and says it runs fine now. They did a good job, they brought it back full of fuel, washed, and vaccumed.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Mo_Moose said:
Could be, I think they might have meant TPS. Anyway my wife has it and says it runs fine now. They did a good job, they brought it back full of fuel, washed, and vaccumed.
Full of fuel! Now thats a nice extra!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, because the loaner they brought was low on gas to the point where my wife ran out of gas trying to get to the gas station. I'm glad it is over and now hopefully all I ever have to deal with is the service people, they were great. The sales manger sucked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The other day the Murano had a sudden loss of power with a MIL activation. The vehicle would not accelerate over 20 MPH. Parked it and let it sit for 30 minutes. Started it up and it drove normally but the MIL was still on.

It was driven to the dealer and dropped off. The throttle body had failed on it and was replaced.

Not bad, the first one lasted a full 23,000 miles and 10 months...

Throttle by wire throttle bodies may not be as reliable as they should be. The ones on 03-04 Tacomas are having lots of problems, but at least they still have a cable to act as a manual override that gives you a max of 30% throttle.

I think I will get a spare thottle body and keep it in the vehicle with the tools needed to replace it just in case.

Gadget

1 - 7 of 7 Posts